Care to reccomend me a waterproof, energy efficient, budget spotlight for marine use?

redpointist

Newly Enlightened
I'm living aboard on an old sailboat and want to find the best spotlight for our boat before we take off. During a night test run I used a small Black Diamond camping style headlight hoping that itd be adequate but, it didnt feel up to the task. I think I need light more designed for use as a spotlight for spotting buoys, floating objects, reefs, approaching pirate ships :laughing:, etc.

Priorities:

needs to be able to hold up to saltwater splashes. being fully waterproof gets lots of bonus points!

energy efficiency is important. most of our power comes from 3 100w solar panels. the power system is 12v so bonus points if it can be run off of or recharged from 12v easily

Budget: don't really want to spend more than $200 and would prefer $100 if theres a light in that range that would be adequate.

Taking those factors into account I'd like to get as much distance/brightness/useful beam as possible from the light! I've heard people talk about pencil thin beam but not sure what thatd be like in practice and if i'd benefit from a little more spread. Im also leaning toward LED for the efficiency despite it not seeming to be abke to throw as far as the other types.

So what would the experts reccomend?!

redpointist

Newly Enlightened
If anyone finds this in search and is wondering, I ended up getting a used Fenix TK41 from ebay for $35. I think it should do the job well!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone finds this in search and is wondering, I ended up getting a used Fenix TK41 from ebay for $35. I think it should do the job well!

The TK41 is a great light powered by 8 AA batteries. Unfortunately Fenix dis-continued this light and came out with a new version that adds colored LED's.

The last time I looked on Fenix's site, the light was delayed.

ven

Flashaholic
You have bought into a solid brand there for cheap! $35 is a bargain, would recommend 8 eneloops to feed it,after a couple of cycles its as good as free to run. Also the light will perform a lot better than on alki cells:)
No worries of leaks too!
:welcome: