CMG Ultra G vs. ARC AAA LE

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends......

The ArcAAA LE is somewhat of a favorite here, winning the 2002 Lummies - it is smaller and uses a single AAA battery to get 5hours of runtime.

But I find it a bit big for the keyring - where most people's true EDC reside.

For the keyring I use a Photon Microlight (I actually use yellow for long runtime and a compromise between seeing good definition/contrast and affecting my dark adaption minimally).

The CMG Ultra-G is bigger than the Arc LE - but it uses a single AA cell for about 11hours of tested runtime (advertized as 25hours) - but size doesn't matter as much, since I carry it in my other pocket (also as an EDC) to use when I've decided to use a flashlight and am not so concerned about preserving any dark adaption.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Fusion,
Welcome to CPF!
grin.gif

You can find more about the Ultra and the AAA in this thread...

You can find more info using the search function on the top of the page.
winkie.GIF

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Fusion:
Are they close in brightness??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">--

No problem....

They are about as bright as each other -
some say the Ultras are just a bit brighter than the ArcAAA - on side-by-side comparisons.
but in practice, there'd probably be very little difference in use.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
Stiring the pot, CMG will be offering the SONIC, 1AAA with ULTRA alectronics and will be less $ than the arc
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">--
This is good news -
does anyone know the runtime of the CMG Sonic on a single AAA?

I guess it would be similar to the ArcAAA - unless some new ground has been broken in efficiency - if so, I think CMG would be talking about it, so this is a case of
no news is no news?
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

But this still comes down to the use of a single AAA vs. AA, and that even the inherently smaller single AAA cell flashlight - elegant as the ArcAAA (and probably the CMG Sonic) are - they are still too big for keyring carry - for me.

So for an in-pocket carry flashlight (where size is not quite as critical) I choose the CMG Ultra-G for its use of a single AA and longer runtime.

DLG

Newly Enlightened
I don't own an ARC AAA, but hear from many here that it is a great product.

I do own a CMG Ultra and imo it's a great product too. Not a keychain light but serves a need. I use the laynard and carry it with me most all the time.

I'm looking forward to hearing what people here say about the CMG Sonic, when it becomes available.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

After carrying and using the regular Infinity around my neck, I decided to get a CMG Infinity Ultra. It's considerably brighter and I love it. I really want to get an Arc AAA for my keyring, but for anyone considering a CMG Infinity Ultra, you won't be disappointed.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by DLG:
I don't own an ARC AAA, but hear from many here that it is a great product.

I do own a CMG Ultra and imo it's a great product too. Not a keychain light but serves a need. I use the laynard and carry it with me most all the time...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Believe it or not, I carry an Infinity on my keychain, attached with a Berkley point clip. It's not as bad as most people think. I typically go for long walks through the park, mall, etc. and never even notice it's there.

The problem I have with the Arc AAA is that if I'm stuck with it as my only light, a 5 hour runtime doesn't quite do it for me. For me, it's not even enough to get through one evening - especially in the Winter.

Nevertheless, I respect the Arc AAA, and I consider to be superior in quality to the Infinity. Peter really should get around to giving us an Arc AA one of these days. If only he'd quit playing around with those LS things.
grin.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my impression than an Infinity Ultra with a Lithium AA is rather brighter than an Arc AAA LE. Mine sure as hell is.

Anyone done an Ultra runtime test with Li?