Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ven

Flashaholic
I dont know if related or just coincidence. Our not quite local dog food place( large unit on industrial site) was raided. Pretty much took everything, from food to harnesses, leads...........most stuff. I have not heard of this, again could be just coincidence.

Just seen on the news a lady MP who has been tested positive, met with Boris J not long back! Looks like no one is safe(unless you have a bunker).

Stay safe all

What is it with panic buying, are people really that crazy(and yes it been happening here to). If everyone carried on as normal, there would be no issue with demand and supply. Trouble is reports of empty shelves start to panic more, then people are forced to go out and grab stuff.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
I dont know if related or just coincidence. Our not quite local dog food place( large unit on industrial site) was raided. Pretty much took everything, from food to harnesses, leads...........most stuff. I have not heard of this, again could be just coincidence.

Just seen on the news a lady MP who has been tested positive, met with Boris J not long back! Looks like no one is safe(unless you have a bunker).

Stay safe all

What is it with panic buying, are people really that crazy(and yes it been happening here to). If everyone carried on as normal, there would be no issue with demand and supply. Trouble is reports of empty shelves start to panic more, then people are forced to go out and grab stuff.

By its nature, herd mentality is difficult to spot in the moment. After all, a snowflake doesn't realize that it's a part of the avalanche.

harro

Enlightened
Harro,

Today it is tissue, wait until they want to stock up on food! People need to cut the cable, I did it years ago.

Yep, no argument. SO TRUE!! The dependency is disgusting, then when something goes awry, the masses just cannot cope.

Sorry, I should have said, not everyone needs to be a full on prepper, but to just take some appropriate and basic steps for when that outage, or whatever, happens. It's not difficult to do.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Actual preparation: How the hospital tests you for infection, what the signs mean, and how you can test for it at home, as explained by a doctor:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, no argument. SO TRUE!! The dependency is disgusting, then when something goes awry, the masses just cannot cope.
It's one reason for me to keep at least several weeks worth of drinking water, food & fuel in house: peace of mind. Simply knowing that you won't have to fight over a can of beans or pack of toilet paper when store shelves are raided, if you don't want to. No matter what. If disaster strikes, even a few weeks is a lot of breathing room to work out the next steps (and more than a large % of the population :) ).

But to be honest, modern society has kind of done this to itself by a) picking the just-in-time option of keeping minimal stocks, and b) making that system work as well as it does. For example where I live:
  • Water outages basically don't happen, EVER. Other than very locally, a few hours max. I'm 49y old now & it's been that way as long as I can remember.
  • Electricity grid: same. Statistically, grid outages are measured in minutes per year (>99,99% uptime). Outages are usually small # of households & a full day is already very long outage. I know around the world, things are different in many countries & areas within countries, but the NL is not among those.
  • Supermarkets open 6 or 7 days a week, shelves always stocked except the odd item.

So if that's true for one's entire life, can you really blame people for not realizing how fragile that system is, how quickly stocks are depleted when supply chains are interrupted and/or a buying frenzy breaks out? Imho: no.

I've always considered camping trips a good 'training ground'. And I mean in a tent, living out of a backpack style. Not driving around in a car with 2nd home attached. :laughing: It learns you how to be frugal with resources, do the math, understand the REAL value (and non-value!) of various tools, etc. 'Bugging in' then becomes like camping @ home with a stronger 'tent' and even more tools & supplies at one's disposal (or in other words: a walk in the park).

But I guess Darwin will eventually sort these things out. In other news: the WHO finally agrees to speak of a pandemic. Long overdue...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
916-AB359-5-B84-4-DB5-9-FC5-D8-FE93-C004-F7.jpg

100 year old dude in a gas station today.
I saw this fellow wiping down his car with a nice soft brush and being a car guy I asked about his brush. That led to a discussion about life in these United States lately. He said he bought it for his 100th birthday (and homie did not look a day past 70), as his last hurrah he said. He said he survived WW2,Korea,Vietnam, legionaires disease, all kinds of super germs and "I'll be dammned if some bug named after a beer that tastes like horse **** is gonna scare me". So he took out his pride and joy for a quick jaunt but "all this dam pollen is constantly getting on my car so I gotta keep wiping it down".

He says he is waiting for the corana "thingy" to spread closer to home "so the shopping malls aren't so dam crowded with old people in the mornings" and looks forward to less crowded conditions.

I chuckled and said "man you're tough". He laughed and said "not anymore, I'm just dangerous these days". lol

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for Coronavirus; thankfully they are currently in Australia where testing is available, as opposed to the US.

The NBA has suspended the season until further notice, so the only televised sporting event available in the US is college basketball games with no audiences.

nbp

Flashaholic
Let's keep to science and facts and how people are being affected rather than bringing politics into it. Thanks.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So if we're going the route of science and facts, we need to take a look at the history of pandemics and how they played out, then interpolate the data that we currently have onto that dynamic, and from that we can extrapolate where we are and where we're headed. We can see that the number of cases is rising very fast, so we're on the first part of an upward curve, but the question is how that curve peaks - will it be a high, sharp curve with an extremely high number at the peak [which means many people critically infected at once overwhelming the health care system] or a low, long curve that never reaches a high number [which means a lengthy ill season but never many critically ill at the same time]? Only a proactive country can achieve the low curve, a reactive country will necessarily experience the high curve. You then only have to decide which you would prefer:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
It's one reason for me to keep at least several weeks worth of drinking water, food & fuel in house: peace of mind. Simply knowing that you won't have to fight over a can of beans or pack of toilet paper when store shelves are raided, if you don't want to. No matter what. If disaster strikes, even a few weeks is a lot of breathing room to work out the next steps (and more than a large % of the population :) ).

But to be honest, modern society has kind of done this to itself by a) picking the just-in-time option of keeping minimal stocks, and b) making that system work as well as it does. For example where I live:
  • Water outages basically don't happen, EVER. Other than very locally, a few hours max. I'm 49y old now & it's been that way as long as I can remember.
  • Electricity grid: same. Statistically, grid outages are measured in minutes per year (>99,99% uptime). Outages are usually small # of households & a full day is already very long outage. I know around the world, things are different in many countries & areas within countries, but the NL is not among those.
  • Supermarkets open 6 or 7 days a week, shelves always stocked except the odd item.

So if that's true for one's entire life, can you really blame people for not realizing how fragile that system is, how quickly stocks are depleted when supply chains are interrupted and/or a buying frenzy breaks out? Imho: no.

I've always considered camping trips a good 'training ground'. And I mean in a tent, living out of a backpack style. Not driving around in a car with 2nd home attached. :laughing: It learns you how to be frugal with resources, do the math, understand the REAL value (and non-value!) of various tools, etc. 'Bugging in' then becomes like camping @ home with a stronger 'tent' and even more tools & supplies at one's disposal (or in other words: a walk in the park).

But I guess Darwin will eventually sort these things out. In other news: the WHO finally agrees to speak of a pandemic. Long overdue...

Dude,

If water outages Don't happen, why rush to buy water, and if your water is on, why rush back to by TP?

You really Don't make any sense.

Two main things you need are: firearms, and cash. Of course the milquetoast authority's never tell us that!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
As for Tom Hanks, don't worry about him I am certain he is banging out the Coronavirus script at this moment. This is called development, soon pre-production will begin! Then casting, principal photography, post production, promotion, premiere, and you can, well, go see it or stream it, I am not sure about that.

Then his Oscar!

But, Don't worry!!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non virus related post here folks:

Before this whole virus thing came to be, I always kept a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car.
Always good to have in case you make a quick food drive thru pit stop.
Bottle is almost gone and none for sale anywhere, smh.

Anyone spare just 1 bottle? I'd gladly PayPal you for it plus shipping.
Just need one, Thanks.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Two main things you need are: firearms, and cash. Of course the milquetoast authority's never tell us that!

I often wonder if cash would be any good to barter with in the most direst of situations. I tend to think actual commodities would be much more valuable and the cash representation of value might go out the window. I think ammunition and food are good to keep around for bartering. Water if you are not in an area where water is readily available. Maybe batteries. Other stuff like that. Cash is king when goods are readily available. But I'm not sure if cash/gold or any other representation of value for a particular good is as valuable as having that particular good on hand in an emergency/disaster type situation.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Plain old rubbing alcohol works well too, just don't wipe it off, let it dry on its own.

Non virus related post here folks:

Before this whole virus thing came to be, I always kept a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car.
Always good to have in case you make a quick food drive thru pit stop.
Bottle is almost gone and none for sale anywhere, smh.

Anyone spare just 1 bottle? I'd gladly PayPal you for it plus shipping.
Just need one, Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.