CREE's neutrals have an ugly tint. Why all the fanfare for XPG or XML neutral lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the slight rose tint of the NVSL219 in the pics. I have a Malkoff 219 from Illumination Supply and the Triple drop-in from Ill. Supply/EDC+ though and do not pick up on any rose tint even when trying. They are super pure white, leaning more toward cool and away from rose. Perhaps they are the more neutral NVSW219?

If you have one of each LED you can tell which is the NVSL and the NVSW. The NVSL has a darker (more orange) phosphorous.

Regarding that slight rose tint, these are the original photos of the brown clock. The differences between the NVSL219-H1 and the NVSW219-H1 is especially apparent on the white wall.

Browns really look great with the NVSL.

NVSL
http://oi49.tinypic.com/fjhx8p.jpg

NVSW
http://oi46.tinypic.com/2v7za11.jpg

Better to open each image in a new browser tab then switch between the two to compare.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah. All the people cited in those testimonials linked above are unprofessional flashaholics and out of their minds.

I think what bothers some people is that the Nichia really *is* that convincing. People hate change and the idea of having to have to upgrade their lights ALL-OVER-AGAIN is a P.I.T.A.

So it's easier to look away feigning any buyers remorse.

My budget for lights is pretty deep though. I only buy the best. I - have - been spoiled. So maybe that has something to do with it. :D

Dude, you couldn't even discern which was the Cree and which was the Nichia when presented with beamshots. You obliterated your own argument.

You just want to argue, plain and simple. You asked a question, and rejected all the answers. The reason is clear: you don't really want answers, you simply want to proclaim your superiority from your high horse. I followed this thread as I thought I could learn something. I have learned much from the other posters, but your posts have been little more than antagonistic drivel.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, you couldn't even discern which was the Cree and which was the Nichia when presented with beamshots. You obliterated your own argument.

You just want to argue, plain and simple. You asked a question, and rejected all the answers. The reason is clear: you don't really want answer, you simple want to proclaim your superiority from your high horse. I followed this thread as I thought I could learn something. I have learned much from the other posters, but your posts have been little more than antagonistic drivel.

The photo is too close to call. Seriously.

But it's a BAD example.

I wonder how much ambient light was in that photo, to-boot.

I also see from your SIG you own lots of CREE LED lights.

So I get it.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
If you knew me you'd know that TINT is the LEAST of my concerns when selecting a light. So no, you don't get it.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CREE's neutrals have an ugly tint. Why all the fanfare for XPG or XML neutral

Thanks! I really like that neutral xp-e. What is the cct?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I dont remember. Bought this a loong time ago when the lf2xt was "cheap" and still in production. I think it was 4750k. It's one of the few aaa lights i got that still have the stock led. Really like this one. Now they are hard to find and expensive. Mine has survived the washing machine 3 times. It's starting to get dinged up at the front end..

Same thing with my quark mini aa with a xp-e q3 5a3. Just as nice as my nichia 219's, but i dident want to use it in the pics. Got way more lux on target, so i desided to only use 4 diffrent aaa lights.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

But it's a BAD example.

So I get it.

ZERO ambient light, it was in my daughters room in the middle of the night, shades drawn and not additional lighting with doors closed.

Dude, I'm a HUGE 219 fanboy but I don't "push" that emitter onto my customers. If they ask my opinion on tints I will give it but I have never singled it out as the BEST. People see tints differently and what works well for one may look awful to another.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZERO ambient light, it was in my daughters room in the middle of the night, shades drawn and not additional lighting with doors closed.

Can we get a side by side white wall beam shot so we can really see what tint the XPG is casting? :D

Just bring the camera exposure down.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

You just want to argue, plain and simple. You asked a question, and rejected all the answers. The reason is clear: you don't really want answers, you simply want to proclaim your superiority from your high horse. I followed this thread as I thought I could learn something. I have learned much from the other posters, but your posts have been little more than antagonistic drivel.

​EXACTLY.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I took 4 shots, didn't want to waste alot of time on this being my first day off from work since January.

Sony H10 Set to manual, ISO 100, night scenery. Small bathroom with no windows. Walls are antique white so I taped standard printer paper on the wall.
I held the NICHIA PD32 in my LEFT hand and the Quark AA Neutral in my right while shooting.

NICHIA=LEFT...........CREE=RIGHT

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I took 4 shots, didn't want to waste alot of time on this being my first day off from work since January.

Sony H10 Set to manual, ISO 100, night scenery. Small bathroom with no windows. Walls are antique white so I taped standard printer paper on the wall.
I held the NICHIA PD32 in my LEFT hand and the Quark AA Neutral in my right while shooting.

NICHIA=LEFT...........CREE=RIGHT

Thank you very much for those. :D :D :D

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

But it's a BAD example.

So I get it.
My photos had no ambient light. I live far north. We dont have mutch sunlight this time of year. Daylight is only a few hours now. So when i turn off the lights, it gets dark. Some months ago it was no daylight at all. In some months there will be no darkness at all with the sun up in the sky 24 hours a day :twothumbs

You couldent pick the nichia's on a white floor, or on the various colourful stuff i tossed together. And i diden't try to look for lights matching the nichia's in tint (making it even harder ). I just took some lights that had a battery installed. + You dident pick the nichia on the other dudes photo. So that's 3 strikes, youre out :)

Just shows you might have some few bad xm-l/xp-g. Buy 50-60 more neutral lights and ull see the tint lottery in action. As i said before: digital photos are not a great tool for a tint snob. Buy 10 identical lights of any brand and i guarantee you will find one that looks just a little bit better to your eyes than the rest. Nothing is better than buying stuff and using your own eyes to pick out what you like.

I agree with the nichia's being really good, and so far really consistent in tint. But that dont make all the other leds bad.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for those. :D :D :D

You are very welcome. This is just my opinion here, I prefer the tint of the Quark Neutral of the 2 myself but I use the Nichia at work daily for the HCRI. I do electrical work and I have found it pleasing how much easier it is to identify wire colors in bad lighting situations especially compared to a cool white emitters.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
I don't own an XML neutral light, but my XPG neutral (Eagletac) has a decent tint, although a little pinker than my 219.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a neutral XPG, but here's the C2 quad Nichia 219 pointing straight up (med power ~400 lumens) at a white sheet of paper "ceiling bounce" lighting the scene.

Zero ambient lighting. Camera ISO Auto. What it photographed is what I see. Color rendering and all.

Different shades of whites (eggs, carton, garlic) included for clarity.

Full size: http://oi46.tinypic.com/24lufxl.jpg

2ywthdi.jpg

And the Quad CREE XPG-R5

Full Size: http://oi45.tinypic.com/s4swa9.jpg

2mripuu.jpg

Side by Side: http://oi48.tinypic.com/2hnz5zr.jpg

308w11f.jpg

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
My photos had no ambient light. I live far north. We dont have mutch sunlight this time of year. Daylight is only a few hours now. So when i turn off the lights, it gets dark. Some months ago it was no daylight at all. In some months there will be no darkness at all with the sun up in the sky 24 hours a day :twothumbs

You couldent pick the nichia's on a white floor, or on the various colourful stuff i tossed together. And i diden't try to look for lights matching the nichia's in tint (making it even harder ). I just took some lights that had a battery installed. + You dident pick the nichia on the other dudes photo. So that's 3 strikes, youre out :)

Just shows you might have some few bad xm-l/xp-g. Buy 50-60 more neutral lights and ull see the tint lottery in action. As i said before: digital photos are not a great tool for a tint snob. Buy 10 identical lights of any brand and i guarantee you will find one that looks just a little bit better to your eyes than the rest. Nothing is better than buying stuff and using your own eyes to pick out what you like.

I agree with the nichia's being really good, and so far really consistent in tint. But that dont make all the other leds bad.

Yeah those white floor beam shots are hard to distinguish when everything is bloomed out. :D Actually the nichia preon #8 from the left? shows green right at the lens on my IPS screen. Is that the anti-ref coating?

White wall coronal shots are much more indicative of tints being cast by any one particular emitter (as demonstrated above).

img7139kj.jpg

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you dont own a single neutral xm-l or xp-g in any bin, but still thinks they are ugly and inferior..
So your knowlegde is based on what? Hype, pictures and other pepoles taste?

The preon ti got a green gitd disc, and it's only 25 lumens. You can see the green disc from the front end.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you dont own a single neutral xm-l or xp-g in any bin, but still thinks they are ugly and inferior..
So your knowlegde is based on what? Hype, pictures and other pepoles taste?

The preon ti got a green gitd disc, and it's only 25 lumens. You can see the green disc from the front end.

I have a ZebraLight SC600 Warm, and the tint is garishly yellow. And what's wrong with comparison photo's?

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
So I stumble across this thread, and as a novice, it alerts me to the presence of Nichia LED's and the fact they may have a nice tint for some. So, it seemed a bit difficult to parse out eligible lights from the thread, so out of curiosity I go try and find some headlamps based on Nichia LED's. Other than a Fenix that used a red LED and a Brunton I was unable to find much of anything. So I guess my question for ledmitter_nli is, even if someone were to embrace the argument and also become a Nichia evangelist, what are their options for lights based on current sate of the art Nichia's? Is their a list posted in another thread perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.