CREE's neutrals have an ugly tint. Why all the fanfare for XPG or XML neutral lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these is a Fenix PD32 with a Nichia 219 and the other is a Quark XP-G from a later Neutral run, but which one is which?

Top is the Fenix bottom is the Nichia.

I'm going to be posting some shots too.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why all the fanfare for XPG or XML

Nor do any of the 6 or so 219 lights I own, two being 219 triples. All use NVSL219AT-H1.

Obtained from Illumination Supply.

Norm

Left is NVSL219 Right is NVSW219

282dtgy.jpg

NVSL has a perceptable rose tint and better CRI.

At least that's my experience. NVSW is brighter though.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

High CRI Nichia 219 (NVSL-H1) (notice the slight rose tint. These shots are from a relatively new Nichia module, the tint
is bout half as it was and is brighter after ~7 hours of burn in)
8whcee.jpg

Neutral Nichia 219 (NVSW-H1)
358b9kw.jpg

High CRI Nichia 219 (NVSL-H1)
35314yh.jpg

90b03q.jpg

2dw6fk2.jpg

3169qic.jpg

awuioi.jpg

op9zra.jpg

Side-by-Side
676q21.jpg

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

OK maybe it's a difference in perception or description, there's nothing in the above pictures that I would describe as rose tinted.

Norm

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CREE's neutrals have an ugly tint. Why all the fanfare for XPG or XML neutral

Thanks for taking those photos!
My eyes like number three and four the best; and the oil can (?) In number three seems slightly more yellow than in number four. Could i convince you to disclose which two leds are used in each of those photos?

1 is the maratac aaa cu with a cool xp-g2
2 univex aaa warm xp-g
3 liteflux lf2xt neutral xp-e
4 trunite ti nichia219

Nr 4 is the only high cri. Since ledmitter_nli tought nr3 was the 219. I guess the neutral liteflux bests the nichia 219 :) But it might have been the camerasettings favouring one over the other.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CREE's neutrals have an ugly tint. Why all the fanfare for XPG or XML neutral

The fun ting about tint is I always think some neutrals looks like its close to mid day sunlight in tint. If you let a little ray of sunlight trough a door or a open window (not filter it trough a glass window), and put your lights in a shadowed area next to the ray of sunlight. None of my lights looks like sunlight, and i got plenty to choose from. Cool whites are closer in tint than neutrals. My closest match to daytime mid summer sunlight was my arc aaa with a 5 mm led. And that made me scratch my head:thinking: It was like a last attempt when every other lights had failed. Not a perfect match, but it was really close.

I saw the sun yesterday for some minutes. Barly climed over the peak of a mountian in the horizon. The time of constant darkness is over. Some months now and the constant daylight will ruin most of my needs for a flashlight.

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened

Rose or not, it might have something to do with the drive currents. Nichia 219 has a rather small CCT shift, but a quite strong shift away from the Planckian locus. When using low currents, the tint of the light is close to the Planckian logus (="white"). When using high currents, it start to move towards pink (rose).

source

I have taken some comparison photos myself, too, and as I said in post #72, XM-L 4500K looked better (whiter) with a set white balance of 4500K. I suppose this might be due to XM-L being closer to Planckian locus. It would be interesting to see comparison shots taken with NW XM-L2. According to these results, it's tint stays pretty close to the locus. I wouldn't be too worried about the strong CCT drift. Warmer tint for low illumination levels and cooler for high levels might be even favorable. :)

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top is the Fenix bottom is the Nichia.

I'm going to be posting some shots too.
REALLY?? Let me show you then..........

#1 light from first beamshots........

#2 light from beamshots...............

Below quotes taken from thread title
CREE's neutrals have an ugly tint.
Evidently not since the "tint god" COULD NOT tell them apart.

Why all the fanfare for XPG or XML neutral lights?

You answered this question yourself. :clap::grin2:

Shots were taken with camera(Sony H10) on manual setting and a diffused lens(edit: the exact same diffuser) on the lights.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
REALLY?? Let me show you then..........

#1 light from first beamshots........

#2 light from beamshots...............

Below quotes taken from thread title

Evidently not since the "tint god" COULD NOT tell them apart.

You answered this question yourself. :clap::grin2:

Shots were taken with camera(Sony H10) on manual setting and a diffused lens on the lights.

Gee... trying to judge looking at pastel colors...

Okay. Now that you mention the leds, I can see the telltale rose hue barely perceptible in the whites of the pattern above. It's pretty close. But doesn't best the nichia. Poor scene to judge.

Have anything with more whites and more naturally recognized colors such as garlic, egg shells, red or green vegetables, oranges, bananas, grapes, cherries, fruits? Maybe a coke or cambells soup can, something that may be common in your country as well as ours. If not, then an outside shot pointed at flowers, a bush or some vegetation on the ground?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

The fun ting about tint is I always think some neutrals looks like its close to mid day sunlight in tint. If you let a little ray of sunlight trough a door or a open window (not filter it trough a glass window), and put your lights in a shadowed area next to the ray of sunlight. None of my lights looks like sunlight, and i got plenty to choose from. Cool whites are closer in tint than neutrals. My closest match to daytime mid summer sunlight was my arc aaa with a 5 mm led. And that made me scratch my head:thinking: It was like a last attempt when every other lights had failed. Not a perfect match, but it was really close.

I saw the sun yesterday for some minutes. Barly climed over the peak of a mountian in the horizon. The time of constant darkness is over. Some months now and the constant daylight will ruin most of my needs for a flashlight.

Agreed a ray of sunlight just peeking through a crack onto the floor kills the nichia in color rendering. Big difference. I've suggested mimicking sunlight is the holy grail of led achievements. A halogen light does even better.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was only trying to prove this is a "blanket" statement.
CREE's neutrals have an ugly tint.

Saying all Cree neutrals have ugly tints is like saying all apples taste awful because the one you ate was bad. There are variances in everything in life.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems pretty clear to me that you'll ignore all data that doesn't agree with you. And halogens are far too cool to simulate sunlight.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems pretty clear to me that you'll ignore all data that doesn't agree with you. And halogens are far too cool to simulate sunlight.

A halogen light "does even better" as stated ... too cool? ever see a halogen reading lamp?

Ignore all data? All the data points overwhelmingly in only one direction :twothumbs The NICHIA's color rendering is better than CREE's.

Please refer to user experience testimonials from fellow flashaholic addicts:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...utral-lights&p=4135314&viewfull=1#post4135314

"All the data" .... LoLz.

nbp

Flashaholic
You are funny! I don't anyone should waste their breath anymore. You don't even respond to the actual data posted, but rather rely on anectodal evidence and preference. It's useless arguing with someone like that.

darkknightlight

Enlightened

1 is the maratac aaa cu with a cool xp-g2
2 univex aaa warm xp-g
3 liteflux lf2xt neutral xp-e
4 trunite ti nichia219

Nr 4 is the only high cri. Since ledmitter_nli tought nr3 was the 219. I guess the neutral liteflux bests the nichia 219 :) But it might have been the camerasettings favouring one over the other.

Thanks! I really like that neutral xp-e. What is the cct?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are funny! I don't anyone should waste their breath anymore. You don't even respond to the actual data posted, but rather rely on anectodal evidence and preference. It's useless arguing with someone like that.

Yeah. All the people cited in those testimonials linked above are unprofessional flashaholics and out of their minds.

I think what bothers some people is that the Nichia really *is* that convincing. People hate change and the idea of having to have to upgrade their lights ALL-OVER-AGAIN is a P.I.T.A.

So it's easier to look away feigning any buyers remorse.

My budget for lights is pretty deep though. I only buy the best. I - have - been spoiled. So maybe that has something to do with it. :D

Last edited:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I see the slight rose tint of the NVSL219 in the pics. I have a Malkoff 219 from Illumination Supply and the Triple drop-in from Ill. Supply/EDC+ though and do not pick up on any rose tint even when trying. They are super pure white, leaning more toward cool and away from rose. Perhaps they are the more neutral NVSW219?

Status
Not open for further replies.