End of the World this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redaudi

Newly Enlightened
hey, guys! the world is going to end!!!!

wait... crap, i missed the party didn't i?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...he seemed to miss one important detail...and one that I think is more and more relative now that we have the science to kinda' see it coming...Revelations mentions a giant meteor crashing into the earth, poisoning the waters of the world with worm-wood (the stuff that made REAL Absinth Illegal)...a bunch of people doped up on worm-wood=zombie apocalypse. But then again, it could be a rogue meteor that we don't see coming (they're still finding meteors that come close to Terra that have previously been unknown).

Also, towards the end, His prophets (Assumed to be Moses and Ezekial) will walk the earth, warning the inhabitants, and when they are (presumably) killed, there bodies will lie in the streets for 3-Days.

But, bless his heart, this guy's a wack job if there ever was one...senile for sure.

Religious or not, the "Revelation of John" is a good read. Also, the movie "The Seventh Sign" (Old school Demi Moore) is a good flick to check out.

I had "I'm going down" playing by The Boss...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I hope the old guy can run fast, because any time now he's gonna have an angry mob coming after him with pitchforks and torches!

He'd definitely deserve it. Wackos like him sell newspapers, so he'll always have plenty of press coverage.

"Slow week for news. We've got to spice things up. Hey! Looks go see if that lunatic religious leader has anything interesting to say. I bet he does."

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
the guy didnt advertise the end of the world, but rather the return of jesus.
and i think we should put jesus on milk cartons, as he is decidedly missing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's one thing to get out the message or Good News to the masses.

Quite another to resort to fear-mongering as a way to get folks to change their behavior. That never works in the long run.

Greta

Flashaholic
the guy didnt advertise the end of the world, but rather the return of jesus.
and i think we should put jesus on milk cartons, as he is decidedly missing.

:shakehead ... really? Perhaps you should remove yourself from this thread now.

*for those who are wondering... if, as a self-proclaimed pagan, I am offended by a post like this, it is definately in bad taste.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were a number of people who gave up a lot of money to buy billboard signs. Some of them have nothing left now. I am sure that all the media coverage this time around will have some effect on the October date for the next rapture. Will it create more ? or will it be fewer ?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A significant portion of this guy's congregation left their jobs and made preparations for everything to end abruptly, so he's under the gun to produce results at this point. Anything significant that occurs between now and October will be interpreted as a "sign"..

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Here's a pretty good synopsis story on Yahoo that was linked on Drudge, including a short section of video while he gave his explanation.

When I think about this guy and how many are vulnerable because they are genuinely seeking answers, this story (and Camping himself) makes me sad.

It's obvious that he and some number of his followers believe what he is saying. On a lesser scale than Jonestown or Heaven's Gate, people take actions to make these things become self-fulfilling.

It leaves me with great sadness over the trauma inflicted on so many levels.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

*for those who are wondering... if, as a self-proclaimed pagan, I am offended by a post like this, it is definately in bad taste.

I think he meant Jesus was missing from this particular rapture/event (predicted by Camping), but not in general. Correct me if I'm wrong DaveyJones.

Last edited:

Acid87

Enlightened
This thread started really funny it's now starting to sound like we should be charging for this as a therapy session.
The mans an eejit! Ignore him carry on with your life.
I feel sorry for the impressionable people that believed him shame.
I'm pretty sure the big G man (sorry if that offends I'm not at all religious) would of had something more important to do.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

Well, there is a lack of people, including professed Christians, truly following Jesus' example, so I guess if that's what he meant by Jesus being missing, he's got a point.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
One born every minute...

Wish I had contributors like that to my flashlight fund!!

You may be on to something; an advertising campain aimed at their congregation, something along the lines of "your friends and family left behind will have lighting needs in the face of crumbling infrastructure.."

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, there are folks out there who simply are not made from sterner stuff. They'll follow anyone who promises them the answers to Life's biggest questions. Someone who promises them that they'll finally find meaning to their lives. And if that individual has the charm to make them believe . . . Well, there you go.

What makes this whole thing truly silly is that the Bible clearly states that no one is going to know when the end comes. And, if anyone claims they do know; that person gets an instant ticket to Hell when they become deceased. Basically, anyone (Christian or not) who does something as complicated as read the Bible; would realize that May 21st wasn't going to be the last day for humanity. The guy's prediction was ludicrous.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is truly unfortunate, but there are people whose lives are so sad and miserable that they respond when someone tells them that they are special, they are loved, and if they join up, their earthly problems will soon be over and they will be in paradise! Heck, they may not have much to lose! They could sit down and study the bible and decide that that their leader is misinformed, but that's sort of like leaving your beloved spouse on the rumor of cheating. It feels so good to be with the group, so why go looking for bad news?

These apocalyptic cults are not new. They've been around at least since the dawn of christianity, and will most likely continue well into the future.

I'm probably just old and cynical, but whenever I see a overly charismatic leader of any type, I get the creeps and assume that there is some sort of scam going on. .... but I'm an engineer, and charisma is not one of our key skills. :)

Steve K.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Whenever I hear someone I barely know toss out words such as "Family," that sets off all of my warning systems!

I've been told by my best friend and members of his family that they consider me to be part of their family. That actually makes sense since I've known him for 20 years, been through a lot. I was the Best Man at his wedding. But with someone I just met, if they say "family;" I avoid them like the plague. Sadly, others let down their guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.