Finally incandescent I'm satisfied with, for now

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
after many trial and errors, trying different battery\bulb combos, i build a hotwire that i wanted, a bad azz light.
4d maglite, 2,5in throwmaster head, osram 64633 15v150w, 4x imr 26650 cells, tailcap resistance mod, aw soft start switch.
a do have number of extra bulbs if i need longer runtime, 35w, 50w 75w, 90w. but after 150w bulb all those seem dull

according to this thread, the light pushes around 6000lm, hell yea :cool:

i will post beamshots, when i take them, and if i ever figure how to do it with my camera.

hotwire.jpg

Bob96

Enlightened
I made up a similar light using a Fivemega 5X26500 body and converting to 4 X 26650 cells. Also using the AW Soft-start. I am using the 64623 - 100 watt bulb. Have you tried this bulb? Now you have me think about trying the 150 watt 64633 like yours. Less runtime but probably brighter? Wondered if you have tried both and how they compare using 4 cells?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm, according to tests, at voltage 4 cells provide, these 2 bulbs are almost the same, 64633 pulls 1 amp more, it is when overdriven 150w bulb make a bit more lm, also it can be overdriven with higher voltage than 64623. plus it is rated 150w at 15v not 12v, so draw is differs by about 1amp.
but in our case with 4 cells, i doubt we'll see much difference, if any.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Id be a touch carefull on that mate...The 64633 Should pull 12A ( at around 16.5V) It did through a multi meter with long wires, so a resistance free tailcap mod will do the same or better.
The 26650's are only rated by the manufacturer for 10A ( from memory...they can do more...With the 12A of the 64633 you may decrease the lifecycles of your cells..Mind you looking at the data sheet, any high current drain had a big effect on lifecycle...so I guess there is not alot in it, pulling a big current is hard on the cells weather 10A or 12A. The 4623 is ok pulling about 10A ( roughly) max before popping...So thats the max Lamp sI would run on them...andything higher wattage/ higher voltage, of the top of my head, pulls more than 10A.

It is a sweet lamp though...I have one regulated to 16.5V ( 17V was popping them) to a very fast ramped soft start, straight to high as I like the instant on of a DD switch, in a 6D mag with 6 x A123 M1 cells, A123 can handle the 12A easy, and can be charged up FAST...
I have also run them on many other cells ( Emoli/ NiMh) that dont mind the 12A draw.....But TBH To the eye though, next to each other, not too much if anythin in it so try the 64623 and enjoy the few minutes of extra runtime...

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
after many trial and errors, trying different battery\bulb combos, i build a hotwire that i wanted, a bad azz light.
4d maglite, 2,5in throwmaster head, osram 64633 15v150w, 4x imr 26650 cells, tailcap resistance mod, aw soft start switch.
a do have number of extra bulbs if i need longer runtime, 35w, 50w 75w, 90w. but after 150w bulb all those seem dull

according to this thread, the light pushes around 6000lm, hell yea :cool:

i will post beamshots, when i take them, and if i ever figure how to do it with my camera.

hotwire.jpg

I don't know much about modding or hotwire's, but that's a pretty nice setup you got there, I'm envious. That thing just might give me mag solitare a run for it's money, though I'm thinking it the solitare might have more throw.... just kidding:D, nice light.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I too believe IMR26500s would work better with the high current these bulbs draw. 26650s work great with FM1909s but don't supply the current the large bulbs need.
Nice looking light.
Billy

mrartillery

Enlightened
Try 5x26500's and a 64458, the axial filament in the throwmaster will make a nice beautiful round beam. This is the same setup I use in one of my 64458's, and love it.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I had a think...re-edited my above post for spelling And I have one more thing to add.

Please Dont change the mod you have made already...Its a hotwire...its not supposed to be anything other than brute force and ignorance so please go ahead and drive it hard...forget what I was jabbering on about above and go for it, its not like you will ever get the optimum life cycle out of the cells at the top end of the cells current drain anyway...just push the hell out of the cells, that are actually quite cheap for the amount of juice they pump out,...and enjoy your kick *** light...that is the only way to be with hotwires :thumbsup: :devil: