gone

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: good news / bad news :AA boosters

Dan,
Thanks for the info. I look forward to the extension tubes. When will the head be available? If you have run the BadBoy with three cells and no problem, I think you were lucky. I personally can't afford the risk in blowing the converter. The wizard is supposed to be the same size as the current pills AFAIK. He has a preview of them available here using something you will recognize. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyway, thanks again for the hard work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BTW, are the people who have previously asked for these (like on this thread or in PM's) going to get one reserved for them, or will it just be first come, first served when they go up on B/S/T? I ask because I will be traveling for the rest of the week without internet access and I don't want to miss out on the extension tubes or the head unit. Thanks.

Sproing

Newly Enlightened

Wow, these sounds great! I think the single AA holder with the head would work great with these 3V AA lithiums. You could probably even make it run the badboys with them. Put me down for one!

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Well, it should at least make the BadBoy converters work in a single cell sized setup, but they wouldn't last for too long.

However, since each 3 volt cell is about 1,500 mAh, and a single 1.5 volt AA is about 2,900 mAh, you should get about the same runtime out of the two different cells using a MadMax. Now taking cost into account here, I would think the AA would still be the better way to go.

CiTY

Enlightened

Nice idea. We could even mix-match with the Mini-M*g-AA parts too, right? Look forward to the intro.

StarPhox

Newly Enlightened

I would very much like one of these tubes when they become available. I'll watch B/S/T but if you wanted to e-mail me at [email protected] when they're ready I can have the money to you via paypal at any time.

Thanks,
Phil

Ferrous

Newly Enlightened

That's beautiful. Will you do something similar for D cell models? I once had a muglite knockoff that had a two piece barrel that allowed for two, three, or five cell operation. Unfortunately it was "borrowed" before I bought a second one with the evil intention of swapping one tube over for eight cell use. Now I can't find them anymore.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Ferrous said:
That's beautiful. Will you do something similar for D cell models?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my lathe has a 1" capacity. I'm stuck with AA and 123 cell parts.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

cnc dan, what kind of lathe do you have?

CNC Dan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
cnc dan, what kind of lathe do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Citizen L-25 with Imeca barfeeder
Citizen L-25 with LNS barfeeder
Citizen M-20 wiht LNS hydrobar barfeeder

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any news regarding the AA booster?

Moat

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CNC Dan said:
I have been looking at my first drawing ( PIC ) and I think I need to use a smaller O-ring on the black/blue join. I want to have the wall thickness as big as possable for heat transfer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan - I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this pic, but here's $.02 I'll throw out -

I'd be less concerned with heat transfer as with the strength/stress across the o-ring groove - looks kinda thin. _IF_ the head is meant to be tightened down all of the way to the barrel's flange surface, why not increase the size of the flange slightly (and the rear OD of the head to correspond), eliminate the o-ring groove from the barrel, and cut a notch in the head's rear ID to accept an o-ring against the flange? Might work - would be stronger and increase the heat transfer as well. Just a thought....

Bob

CNC Dan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Moat5606 said:
[ QUOTE ]
CNC Dan said:
I have been looking at my first drawing ( PIC ) and I think I need to use a smaller O-ring on the black/blue join. I want to have the wall thickness as big as possable for heat transfer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan - I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this pic, but here's $.02 I'll throw out -

I'd be less concerned with heat transfer as with the strength/stress across the o-ring groove - looks kinda thin. _IF_ the head is meant to be tightened down all of the way to the barrel's flange surface, why not increase the size of the flange slightly (and the rear OD of the head to correspond), eliminate the o-ring groove from the barrel, and cut a notch in the head's rear ID to accept an o-ring against the flange? Might work - would be stronger and increase the heat transfer as well. Just a thought....

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thought. But I decided to make those two pieces one. I was looking at how a popular 2AA light put their head together and was baseing my design on that. But there is no reason those two pieces can't be made as one piece. I am re-writing the program now. I have a recurring job at work that uses 1" AL , so I will have a few chances to make these over the next few weeks.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Sadley, no. I am super busy at work. So busy that I may be able to save up enough cash to quit work and take the winter off and go driving around the country. But to do that, I would need a truck, or a camper trailer. Damn it, why can't I retire now and work later.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh boy, I never saw this before. Whenever this sees the light of day, you can count me in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CNC Dan said:
Sadley, no. I am super busy at work. So busy that I may be able to save up enough cash to quit work and take the winter off and go driving around the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you'll be able to buy more flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif