Good AA Flashlight

sailoholic

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i am have been looking around for a flashlight like the L2D Premium 100 the most. Does anybody know of any flashlights with similar specs? Preferably with maybe less modes and no strobe..

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a huge Fenix fan, but the L1D is really very good. The low/med/hi are easy to get to, and you can avoid the other modes easily. Lots and lots of nicely tinted light. The high is very high, and the low is bright enough for most purposes, like walking around, reading and so forth. I like it.

donn_

Flashaholic
The new Jetbeam C-LE-V2 is getting good reviews by members who've received it (mine is on the way).

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetbeamclev2.html

$32 (- 2% CPF discount) + freight.

Cree Q2 at 90 lumens. 1xAA. It's got SOS and strobe, but you don't have to use them.

(A pesky gnome will probably pop in to announce, for the 4th time today, he's selling one in the MarketPlace. :shakehead)

Steve-11

Newly Enlightened
Ahhhhhh :sick:

I'm with ya man. The best I could find is the Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80, at Fenix-Store. It might be good enough for ya. I wish Fenix would upgrade and support the L2T better.

Stupid 50,000 mode crap. Just give me hi / lo / off. I'm not 007, just average joe and I need some basic light! Just a little when I want a little and LOTS when I want LOTS! Why is that so hard? :thinking:

greenLED

Flashaholic
The L1D is on my EDC rotation (love that light), but the OP didn't want all the extra modes (which, in my experience have never gotten in my way), that's why I went with the L1T.

I'm not a huge Fenix fan, but the L1D is really very good. The low/med/hi are easy to get to, and you can avoid the other modes easily. Lots and lots of nicely tinted light. The high is very high, and the low is bright enough for most purposes, like walking around, reading and so forth. I like it.

nyyankeefen

Newly Enlightened
School: Erie PA, Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale FL
The new Jetbeam C-LE-V2 is getting good reviews by members who've received it (mine is on the way).

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetbeamclev2.html

$32 (- 2% CPF discount) + freight.

Cree Q2 at 90 lumens. 1xAA. It's got SOS and strobe, but you don't have to use them.

(A pesky gnome will probably pop in to announce, for the 4th time today, he's selling one in the MarketPlace. :shakehead)

How does this light compare to fenix in the build quality/ durability department? I assume their the same....

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does this light compare to fenix in the build quality/ durability department? I assume their the same....

http://lightreviews.info/cle_2/review.html. It gets rated .1 more than the Fenix L1D-CE, Jetbeam gets 7.5 for construction, 8 for output and 7.5 for value and the Fenix gets 8.5 for construction, 8 for output and 6 for value. The Jetbeam has HAIII, waterproof 30 meters, antireflective glass lens and textured aluminum reflector. I don't have one myself yet, but ones on the way.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

The C-LE v2 is a great light for the price, but its output doesn't match the Fenix 1AA lights. See my 1AA round-up review here:
Rebel, Cree, SSC Multi-Stage 1AA Review: RUNTIMES and BEAMSHOTS

The C-LE v1.2 is shown on the graphs, but the output/runtime characteristics is exactly the same, as I showed here:
JetBeam C-LE v2.0 review with comparison to previous versions: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS

And of course, the Fenix on 2AA is about twice as bright as on 1AA mode. As mentioned elsewhere, there's always the L2T v2.0 to consider. It's a very nice relative performer.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jetbeam however has better runtime and is cheaper than the L1T. Apples and oranges I guess:shrug:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The Jetbeam however has better runtime and is cheaper than the L1T. Apples and oranges I guess:shrug:
Actually, depending on the emitter, runtimes are pretty comparable except on Medium where the C-LE has a noticeable edge. Of course, the Fenix lights put out at least 2X as much light on medium and low compare to the C-LE.

I agree that for the price, the C-LE is certainly hard to beat.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
My best, as of right now, is my old Minimag with a Lambda SMD pill in there. Built by Lambda :)
Word. I have one as well, and it is a very good combo that cranks out a good deal of light... :grin2:

For those of you out there that have both the Jetbeam C-LE and the Lumapower LM 31, if you had to pick just one of them to purchase, which one would it be? :candle:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I just made the same choice, and went with the LM31.
If it isn't all I hear it to be, I'll get the Jet. I get free AA at work and stayed away from jet due to sos and blinky modes. Just don't care for them.

Grubbster

Enlightened
For those of you out there that have both the Jetbeam C-LE and the Lumapower LM 31, if you had to pick just one of them to purchase, which one would it be? :candle:
I have had both and sold the Jetbeam. I liked the extra levels it offered (except SOS and strobe :shakehead) but the PWM is a deal breaker for me. I can't stand the flicker. I love the LM31 for it's simplicity, low low, and high high.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I had almost forgotten about it, but a very good, very solid and very simple light is the Streamlight Jr. 2AAs, aluminum tube, Luxeon emitter, rear clickie. Lots of light and rock solid.

Also look at their ProPolymer series. I am thinking about getting one for my wife.

4D223

Newly Enlightened
Agree with Sgt LED, give the LM31 a whirl, I have one and although it's not 100 Lumens its bright with a simple low/high/off UI and well made.
Peter

Latest posts