Great Lawnmower

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Turbodog, that's a mower! I looked at smaller commercials but decided my wife would slit my throat if I spent the money not to mention the little one I got is overkill.

I like the electric stuff, tried the neighbors corded electric mower once a long time ago and used a plug in trimmer for years but I finally couldn't live any longer with the amount of time, (4+ hours) to cut and trim the yard. They have probably improved greatly since my last try and would save a ton on gas and noise (For Darell: Plus it would save all kinds of money in other areas like parts and oil as well as reduce pollution and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Maybe next time I will try another electric.

I bought a Stihl commercial trimmer in March, can't remember the model number but it has a solid shaft. That thing has less cc's than my old Ryobi unit, cuts twice as fast, and never ever gets vines wrapped around that slow down the head, amazing.

I haven't trimmed since I bought my new mower but I think I will time my cut and trim this Sunday. Can't wait.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Your trimmer is likely an fs85. They have really nice heads. Try it with a blade instead. I have had that model for about 8 years now. It should last you your lifetime.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a DR Field and Brush mower (walk behind), it has a 15HP V-Twin Kawasaki engine, spin on/off oil filter, oil pump, fuel pump, electric start, 4 forward speeds, power reverse, can lock both wheels so they both get power to them for steep hills or slippery conditions. Two different mower decks ......... a three blade 42" cutting width and a 24" single blade that can go through 2" saplings.

It takes me roughly 5-6 hours to mow my yard. This baby really does the trick, will mow down darn near anything without bogging and can climb hills like there's no tomorrow.

Mike

turbodog

Flashaholic
I briefly considered a dixie chopper mower. They make one with TWIN 23 HP Kohler engines. Cuts about 8 acres/hour.

46 horsepower

More power baby!!! Woo Hoo!!!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I toyed with a big walk behind for the exercise but still has great speed. I did some "Jones'in" on the Dixie Chopper Diesel and a Kubota ZD18 diesel. I would have had so much fun on the Dixie Chopper cruising at 13 MPH I would have probably driven it to work. In fact my wife would have to drive it because it cost more than her car is worth.

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow! You guys have some SERIOUS lawns to mow, and some serious hardware. Dang.

Tyler - I took all the stickers off of my mower. I'm sure the graphics change every so often. Likely the same thing. I rarely mow when wet... always looking for an excuse to skip doing it, and that's my favorite one! If you like living on the edge, take the guard off your trimmer, and you'll love the thing. That guard is more of a hazard than anything else. (Wear eye protection and don't hold me responsible if you go blind!) I do wish it had a bump advance of the string. The auto feeder lets the sting get too short before feeding more out.

Just got done mowming moments ago (if you were wondering what that was dripping on the keyboard - it is 85 degrees out there still!). I do love the electric. I was talking on the phone and playing with my daughter and dog the entire time I was mowing.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yeah, at least high performace flashlights can fit in a budget. Get hooked on high end lawn mowers and it's all over for your wallet. The Scag pictured a few posts back is my 3rd in 2 years.

P.S. Wanna buy a lawn mower? Cheap! Don't think $3.85 priority mail will handle it though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
Just bought a Honda Masters mower recently. After 15 years of mowing with a Lawn Boy (who's engine was no longer functional), we decided it was time to replace it. Hundreds upon hundreds of dollars later, there is a Honda Masters sitting on my driveway. Yes, it was very expensive, but if it'll last me 15+ years, like I hear they do, then it'll be worth it. That said, it's a fabulous mower. Plenty of power (5 HP) and the blade clutch is a handy feature.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
DieselDave and TurboDog congratulations on the Z's and welcome to the dark side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I started mower shopping several years ago and almost bought a Turf Tiger but the dealer was over a hour away so I went with a local dealer and got a Gravely 260Z 60" 25HP Kohler and couldn't be happier!

Lawn toy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
DSC00372.JPG

Lawn Toy Beam Shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
DSC00370.JPG

I had a 12HP 40" Murray and a push mower it took me around 3 1/2 to 4 hours depending on how many breaks I took to do the lawn work, now with the Z and and some other new equipment I can knock it out in under 1 1/2 hours and have fun while doing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Z's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Later
Sway

PS: Err, I gave the push mower to my new neighbor didn't need it any more……..

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Sway, 260Z, I'm jones'n again. I drove a 260z at the dealer when I picked mine up a few weeks ago. The dealer is less than 5 minutes from my house. My 1740 and the 260Z were parked side by side when I got there so I asked the owner if he was trying to humiliate me. Mine looks like a "Tonka Toy" beside the 260Z.

I cut and trimmed today and timed it. I must admit I went a little faster than I normally would but just a little. I cut the grass in 25 minutes and trimmed in 16 minutes. Normal times would be in the neighborhood of 30 and 25. I busted hump trimming so I know the 15 minutes is way to fast.

From walk out to door to walk in the door was 49 minutes. I added fuel and rinsed them off when done.

It was only one season ago that it was an hour plus to cut and 40-45 minutes to trim. I certainly have entered the dark side.

My wife came out and took some shots of Ty and I cruising this afternoon.
Pool0530040002B.jpg

For those with attention to detail. I am wearing a CamelBak Transformer with all the pouches removed and a Pelican L1 attatched to the D-ring. OBTW I filled it up twice today, (2 liter bag) summer has arrived. You can't see the key in the ignition with the little countycomm keychain light or the ARC AAA hanging from my beltloop. I am a ZTR flashaholic.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Great pic of you and you son he looks just like you, err poor kid...../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gifJust kidding good looking kid he is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Nice Z you got there I just wish they would have been making them when I got mine because I really like the 2352 Home Z and I could have saved some $$$$.

I like cruising the hood on mine in the evening also visiting the neighbors and trading veggies when the gardens come in. Usually buy the end of summer they run and hide when they see me headed their way with a bucket full of tomatoes and squash...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif here he comes again........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Sway

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I only have a small lot, I used a Scott's push mower, exclusively, until 1996 when I bought the two cycle Toro Recycler. I kept using the reel mower for so many years because it was claimed that it cut the blades of grass cleaner and was better for the grass. Being cheap and somewhat EV conscientious, I put off buying a power mower until I was convinced it would do a better job - it does. The Toro allows me to cut at 3" while 2" was max for a decent cut with the reel mower. The power mower really stands long grass up and chops it into tiny pieces that disappear and quickly break down into the earth. The old reel mower had a hard time with the higher cut heights.

Anybody still use a reel mower? What about two cycle engines?

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
Anybody still use a reel mower?

[/ QUOTE ]I actually wanted a push-reel mower for my little lawns. I puchased what was considered the absolute top of the line jobbie for many $ hundreds. It was great... EXCEPT that it would not allow me to mow high enough. I need 3.5 - 4" and this thing would go 2.5" at the highest. Just wouldn't work. I tried desperately to make it work twice...but ended up with the electric since it mows high and still doesn't pollute.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
honda over priced!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We just bought a new Honda Harmony II this spring. The prices on Hondas have come down -- under $400 at Home Depot. It is intelligently designed, and a real pleasure to use. Has that intangible "feeling" of quality (important around CPF, I know). Three speed self propelled and highly effective 4-blade mulcher. We have a big lawn with lots of trees to mow around, and this mows it in about an hour. Highly recommended, and a good value.

We used to have a John Deere riding mower, but it was actually more work and slower to mow, considering all the trees and steep hill. Great mower, durable and trouble free. Got good resale value when I sold it.

Cheers,

Dave

hrr216tda-large.jpg

justjim

Newly Enlightened
Darell,

Which push-reel mower did you buy? I'm thinking of replacing my old gas powered Trimmer. Thanks.

-jim

raggie33

*the raggedier*
400 aint bad. i got a free mower soon as i pick it up my dad got it and dislikes it it is cool the front wheels swivel. i use a muray now lol.but i love my weed eater it is a john deere it is so strong

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
the greatest lawnmower, is whatever model the teenager down the block has when he comes over to mow my lawn for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH!

Mike