Has the Legion II lost it's crown as the worlds brightest?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be very surprised if the Arc 6 Die light is likely making 1000 lumens for the reasons I mentioned in my other post regarding Mac's lights. I'm almost certain that Mac is driving the Osram at either close to the maximum current or at least something very healthy, so getting 300 or 400 additional lumens out of the same LED just isn't feasible. I suspect that either the claim itself is false, or there is some unknown factor involved here. Taking into account that this crowd is pretty informed of LEDs, drivers, and overall flashlight tech, I would find it hard to believe that the Arc's performance involved an unknown factor. Until it can be tested and the claims are verified I recommend that we take the output claims with a grain of salt, just as good flashaholics know to do.

Don't forget the bins. 6-die Ostar is available in a wide range of bins from 600 lumens to more than 1100 lumens. There is not only one Ostar as there is not only one Cree XR-E...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
forget the lights :crazy: I had to go out tonight to stop my street getting broken up :mad:

[edit]fact is here! it seems you're not allowed to tell kids off! anymore :ohgeez:

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the Osram Ostar binning from the datasheet. ARCmania must have even better than QZ bin or the LED must be seriously overdriven to achieve 1350 lumens :)

easilyled

Flashaholic
forget the lights :crazy: I had to go out tonight to stop my street getting broken up :mad:

[edit]fact is here! it seems you're not allowed to tell kids off! anymore :ohgeez:

Tell me about it. If you do, you risk being stoned to death by a gang of them in any case.

In the UK, adults are terrorized by hooligan kids.

Can't you just shine your Sunlite 16W, JB M1-X and Eagletac M2X into their eyes from a safe distance?

BlueBoom

Newly Enlightened
Tell me about it. If you do, you risk being stoned to death by a gang of them in any case.

In the UK, adults are terrorized by hooligan kids.

Can't you just shine your Sunlite 16W, JB M1-X and Eagletac M2X into their eyes from a safe distance?

I think a 50W HID would be a better choice ;).

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
if a reputable builder like ArcMania who has been building high quality lights for years and people buy from, and trust - claim a figure of output - then I would tend to believe him by his past offerings.
But some seem jump to the defence of a fly by night of average quality that can't supply or communicate light manufacturer - that inflates output - and needs/asks for money before they can do/make anything - but still doesn't deliver - or finish other batches of lights from the past they have made before they move onto the next project - and its amazing how loyal people are when you get a free light.

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
And let us not forget how much heat must be transferred away just to keep these dies running at over 80% of this output level. :sweat:
Surely this can be achieved as you all keep saying:"The L2 runs cool for over 2 hours at 600 lumen's" so why not the ostar 15W:rolleyes:

And if the L2 run times is to be really believed,for all we know Arc might be using the same driver :shrug:

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
All I am saying is you won't get the rated output from an LED unless you run it under laboratory conditions in which you can keep the LED slug cooled in order to end up with a junction temperature of 20C. And it is more difficult to keep the junction of an LED cool when it dissipates 15W (Ostar) as compared to 10W (MC-E or P7). As you overdrive an LED in an attempt to get more output, you can actually end up with less due to rising junction temperatures.

That said, I am in no way defending the Legion II output claims with this statement. I also do not claim to know which LED Arcmania is using in his build, so I will not directly attack his claim that he can get 1350 lumens either. If he is using a QZ bin LED then I highly doubt the 1350 lumen claim, but I bet it is a very nice light because Arcmania builds awesome lights.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right after I took the icepack off my butt from the woopin I copped he are some pix of the WS y'all wanted - of which I will add the rechargeable 15W Ostar when it comes - also it was raining tonight - which seemed to make the floodier lights make glare off the rain drops in the pix - all the photos are the same exposure iso 1600, 1.3 seconds F5.6 @ 28mm
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/glennkath/Backyard?authkey=Gv1sRgCJiJluO-4cj88gE#