Has the Legion II lost it's crown as the worlds brightest?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too thought the output stayed almost flat, but I beleive in MrGman's readings more because his home sphere is calibrated to the T with his work sphere.

I want to beleive too, but it is what it is.
It has nothing to do with calibration. I'm talking about heat making the output drop, I'm not argumenting on accurate lumens. Even if WPB's Sphere was totally uncalibrated, it would not change the fact the the Legion-II was keeping a constant output, with no effects from heating. That's the point. No freezer or powerful cooling device was used to achieve that result. The Legion's regulation is as flat as a laser trajetory, period. It is what it is.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used simple fans to cool hot metal, air is good at disbursing heat even a simple 100mm pc fan :)
Disturbing 10 degrees is different that having to deal with really hot temperatures, that's why water cooling is used in really powerful PCs, fans are just not up the the task.
the Legion-II didn't even get warm. 84F (28.8 celsius) is even lower that the human body temperature... Impressive, as I said before.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disturbing 10 degrees is different that having to deal with really hot temperatures, that's why water cooling is used in really powerful PCs, fans are just not up the the task.
the Legion-II didn't even get warm..
If the L2 didn't get warm them I'm sorry I would start to worry some what,heat is generated and has to go somewhere :poof:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the L2 didn't get warm them I'm sorry I would start to worry some what,heat is generated and has to go somewhere :poof:
84F is not warm to me, it is colder than the human body temperature.

And I don't think the owner of an L2 has to worry about heat dissipation in actual use (holding it with your hands). From wpb's: "A lot of good engineering has gone into the design of this light. Many lights are overdriven to get high output, causing damage to the LED phosphor and/or damage to the cells. This light, with reasonable cooling, will run for a solid 2 hours putting out over 700 lumens, without any damage to either the LED or the cells. Then you can put 3 fresh cells in it and do it again. I took measurements of the spectra and output of the LED before and after my run time tests - there was no change.

During the run time tests the light was cooled only by a 100mm PC fan. I took IR temperature readings several times during the test. The highest reading was 84 F (28.8 C) at the LED end of the heatsink."

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It measured in the 610 Lumen range regardless of cooling. I have wbp's latest readings from his system. I am waiting for him to chime in himself. I am very confident in these readings. This light appears very bright due to the very deep reflector making the total beam 4 times smaller than my Solarforce L900, concentrating the light into a smaller area much better overall. G

Patriot

Flashaholic

The L2 has a great thermal path to the body. I've seen much higher temperatures than 84F with no drop in performance. The L2 is the most thermally robust LED light that I've ever tested. It just doesn't doesn't have any weak points in my opinion.................................

EDIT: Speaking of thermal performance and heatsinking.

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 has a great thermal path to the body. I've seen much higher temperatures than 84F with no drop in performance. The L2 is the most thermally robust LED light that I've ever tested. It just doesn't doesn't have any weak points in my opinion.
So it gets pretty warm then as I would expect but asides the one I mention has 1147 lumen's OTF and no one has batted an eye lid :devil:

[edit] Oh that's a strong statement to make "it has no weak points" the L2 has weak points and lots of them IMHO just like any other light, but we are seeing those come out as more people get them,anyway would someone like to talk about my first post :poke:

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrGman mentioned when he puts the lights in the Freezer and then performs the test its a whole other animal. Maybe I can PM him to help explain why such a huge difference.

I do agree with the HOLDING part, but I keep my lights on my dresser or shelf before I use them: not in the Freezer. LOL...

I don't normally put lights in the freezer. I did it only as a quick test on this one to see if it made any real difference in a second 3 minute run. It did slow the light drop off but it still is a 610 lumen range light. It does not turn on at 742 lumens. It is an excellent light with great heatsinking.

If you look closely at wbp's run time chart it does have that little drop off curve from turn on that most of you are ignoring. I capture that data at turn on.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
So who makes this new light? It seems to be a bit of a phantom as information on it is slim. From the beamshots it appears to be extremely bright but the width of the hotspot will determine how far the light is capable of throwing. Obviously sidespill will be negligible up close. Either way-- over 1000 lumens out the front? excuse me while I drool!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot
The L2 has a great thermal path to the body. I've seen much higher temperatures than 84F with no drop in performance. The L2 is the most thermally robust LED light that I've ever tested. It just doesn't doesn't have any weak points in my opinion.

[edit] Oh that's a strong statement to make "it has no weak points" the L2 has weak points and lots of them IMHO just like any other light, but we are seeing those come out as more people get them,anyway would someone like to talk about my first post :poke:

Thermally speaking, didn't mean all around. :)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
This new light "Rechargeable 15 watt Ostar LED light" it appears to be a 6 die LED.

What type of LED does it use????

This weekend at the San Jose BBQ meet 2 people had the 6 LED Osram lights. When MrGman measured them they both did 600 ish lumens. One was a custom 9P like hosts and the other was a Mag hosts w/ 3 AW "C" cells. They both never hit 700 out the front.

If this light is a 6 die light, It sure is a huge improvement over the already measured lights I just mentioned. CPF member: Alan B. had the Mag hosts.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
So who makes this new light? It seems to be a bit of a phantom as information on it is slim. From the beamshots it appears to be extremely bright but the width of the hotspot will determine how far the light is capable of throwing. Obviously sidespill will be negligible up close. Either way-- over 1000 lumens out the front? excuse me while I drool!
Arcmania makes them I know of someone who's getting one now:naughty: but I think there will be around 75 made if there is interest :twothumbs

HKJ

Flashaholic
anyway would someone like to talk about my first post :poke:

I do not think the L2 has lost any crowns, has it ever claimed to be the worlds brightest light? It is a very powerful led light that can sustain high output for two hours, not many lights can do that and not at the output the L2 has.

Patriot

Flashaholic
This new light "Rechargeable 15 watt Ostar LED light" it appears to be a 6 die LED.

What type of LED does it use????

This weekend at the San Jose BBQ meet 2 people had the 6 LED Osram lights. When MrGman measured them they both did 600 ish lumens. One was a custom 9P like hosts and the other was a Mag hosts w/ 3 AW "C" cells. They both never hit 700 out the front.

If this light is a 6 die light, It sure is a huge improvement over the already measured lights I just mentioned. CPF member: Alan B. had the Mag hosts.

It's definitely a 6 die LED going from the first picture in the thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2967541#post2967541

I'm guessing that it's the same LED since I'd be suprised if Osram made multiple types of 6 die, 15W LED's.

I think this is the same LED that Mac was using in his custom "1000" lumen mag hosts. He drives stuff pretty hard and is claiming 1000 LED lumens. Considering this, I'd be surprised if the Ostar was putting out that much light but we'd have to test one to know for certain.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the BBQ member Alan B. whose Mag Osram was likely the one that did 600ish lumens. Perhaps I can PM him and as him if he can let us know for sure who made his Mag Osram 6 Die light and to be fair I did offer my IMR "C" cells for him to put in his mag vs. the 3 AW "C" cells but he said no. His Mag 6die light did look almost to nice to use and I respect him for not wanting to take the risk.

It's definitely a 6 die LED going from the first picture in the thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2967541#post2967541

I'm guessing that it's the same LED since I'd be suprised if Osram made multiple types of 6 die, 15W LED's.

I think this is the same LED that Mac was using in his custom "1000" lumen mag hosts. He drives stuff pretty hard and is claiming 1000 LED lumens. Considering this, I'd be surprised if the Ostar was putting out that much light but we'd have to test one to know for certain.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think the L2 has lost any crowns, has it ever claimed to be the worlds brightest light? It is a very powerful led light that can sustain high output for two hours, not many lights can do that and not at the output the L2 has.
Yes not so long ago it was all over the internet making that claim,I'll see if I can find what I saw back then ;)