Has the Legion II lost it's crown as the worlds brightest?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think the L2 has lost any crowns, has it ever claimed to be the worlds brightest light? It is a very powerful led light that can sustain high output for two hours, not many lights can do that and not at the output the L2 has.
Just search World's Brightest Single LED Flashlight: Neofab Legion II,now neo is the one who supplies the Info to advertise.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Just search World's Brightest Single LED Flashlight: Neofab Legion II,now neo is the one who supplies the Info to advertise.

Yes, I can see it also writes that on his homepage, and that has probably never been correct. There is always somewhere somebody that has been running a led with a bit extra current to get a brighter light.

One of his other statements are probably much more correct: "It has the highest output x runtime score in its weight class". To break that, a led with higher efficiency or better batteries are needed.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the BBQ member Alan B. whose Mag Osram was likely the one that did 600ish lumens. Perhaps I can PM him and as him if he can let us know for sure who made his Mag Osram 6 Die light and to be fair I did offer my IMR "C" cells for him to put in his mag vs. the 3 AW "C" cells but he said no. His Mag 6die light did look almost to nice to use and I respect him for not wanting to take the risk.

Mine is a Mac creation. 15W 6 die Osram Ostar LED with Fraen reflector inside and a stippled mag reflector filling in the rest of the mag head. It is tri-bored with an FM holder and 3 17670 cells. The driver is a MaxFlex. I think it is on the 1000 mA current table, but it is possible that it is on the 750 mA table, and the batteries were not recently charged. I would think the regulation on that would make up for the batteries but who knows. It was billed as a 1000 (emitter) lumen mag. It is about 1.25D in length, a very handy light with a wonderful floody pattern and soft hotstpot, and 5 levels of output.

Actually 600 lumens is not too far off, I would expect perhaps 800 at best out the front.

We probably should have tried your cells as the maxflex has quite a range, this is not a direct drive light. It was the direct drive triple P7 that I was concerned about overdriving, that's a bit more battery sensitive. This one takes three 17670's, not sure if you offered or had anything to fit that.

The Triple P7 is also a Mac creation, 3 AW C cells, D2Dim (direct drive with PWM control), 2.5D sleeved. It is brighter yet, and has lots of levels. Very nice. I may be selling that one... Great light, goes from a few lumens to about 2000-2500 emitter lumens with good batteries.

I'll see if I can find the original Mac thread on the Ostar...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200422

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a Mac creation. 15W 6 die Osram Ostar LED with Fraen reflector inside and a stippled mag reflector filling in the rest of the mag head. It is tri-bored with an FM holder and 3 17670 cells. The driver is a MaxFlex. I think it is on the 1000 mA current table, but it is possible that it is on the 750 mA table, and the batteries were not recently charged. I would think the regulation on that would make up for the batteries but who knows. It was billed as a 1000 (emitter) lumen mag. It is about 1.5D in length, a very handy light with a wonderful floody pattern and soft hotstpot, and 5 levels of output.

Actually 600 lumens is not too far off, I would expect perhaps 800 at best out the front.

We probably should have tried your cells as the maxflex has quite a range, this is not a direct drive light. It was the direct drive triple P7 that I was concerned about overdriving, that's a bit more battery sensitive.

I'll see if I can find the original Mac thread on it...

Thanks Alan b. I knew yours had to be a Mac Creation because it looked so dam good. This new Arc 6 Die light is likely making 1000 lumens, but we will have to see if it does it out the front. I sure hope the output is 1000 out the front and the lumens stay steady with no huge drop after turn on. I honestly think the new ARC 6 die light will be as bright as your Mac Creation, but I have to be possitive.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't recall reading that ArcMania actually made the light, just that he has a few available.

We would need to send one to MrGman to be sure of the OTF lumens.

I'm not sure how efficient the 15W Ostar is in comparison to P7s or MC-Es in terms of lumens/watt or how it compares in thermal robustness.

The beam seems to be very throwy but is there enough spill for general illumination puposes?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Alan b. I knew yours had to be a Mac Creation because it looked so dam good. This new Arc 6 Die light is likely making 1000 lumens, but we will have to see if it does it out the front. I sure hope the output is 1000 out the front and the lumens stay steady with no huge drop after turn on. I honestly think the new ARC 6 die light will be as bright as your Mac Creation, but I have to be possitive.

I'd be very surprised if the Arc 6 Die light is likely making 1000 lumens for the reasons I mentioned in my other post regarding Mac's lights. I'm almost certain that Mac is driving the Osram at either close to the maximum current or at least something very healthy, so getting 300 or 400 additional lumens out of the same LED just isn't feasible. I suspect that either the claim itself is false, or there is some unknown factor involved here. Taking into account that this crowd is pretty informed of LEDs, drivers, and overall flashlight tech, I would find it hard to believe that the Arc's performance involved an unknown factor. Until it can be tested and the claims are verified I recommend that we take the output claims with a grain of salt, just as good flashaholics know to do.

Ultrafire is now claiming 1300 lumens with the same LED

http://www.hkelvisfever.com/index.p...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
well for me its not how many lumen's a light puts out - but the way the lumens are put out (quality not quantity) - as in how they are projected or how we perceive is a good beam.
Example - I have a elektrolumens WaterSword that has 4 x P7 LED's making about 3600 lumens (brilliant flood light!!!!) - so anything out to 30 meters/100 feet nothing I own is brighter - but my M2X (which is 7-800ish lumens) is way brighter at anything past that 30-ish meters - so IMO lumen's don't mean everything.
This rechargeable light has a osram Ostar that is a hand picked QZ bin that puts out 1350 lumen's - and the light can be adjusted from spot to flood - and again IMO only - these 1350 lumen will be utilized well with no waste (quality & quantity) - don't forget this light is using optics that magnify and not a reflector like Mac's lights.
To put it another way if i show you some beam shots of my watersword @ 100 meters you "WILL" go :sick: :green: :sick2: :crackup:
But whack all three lights I mentioned above into a sphere and everybody will go ooooh aaarh! at the watersword because it will show up to 3600 lumens :eek:

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
you have a 3600 watersword and didnt post beamshots :grouphug::whoopin: group vote decides that a spanking is needed :laughing:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
well for me its not how many lumen's a light puts out - but the way the lumens are put out (quality not quantity) - as in how they are projected or how we perceive is a good beam.
Example - I have a elektrolumens WaterSword that has 4 x P7 LED's making about 3600 lumens (brilliant flood light!!!!) - so anything out to 30 meters/100 feet nothing I own is brighter - but my M2X (which is 7-800ish lumens) is way brighter at anything past that 30-ish meters - so IMO lumen's don't mean everything.
This rechargeable light has a osram Ostar that is a hand picked QZ bin that puts out 1350 lumen's - and the light can be adjusted from spot to flood - and again IMO only - these 1350 lumen will be utilized well with no waste (quality & quantity) - don't forget this light is using optics that magnify and not a reflector like Mac's lights.
To put it another way if i show you some beam shots of my watersword @ 100 meters you "WILL" go :sick: :green: :sick2: :crackup:
But whack all three lights I mentioned above into a sphere and everybody will go ooooh aaarh! at the watersword because it will show up to 3600 lumens :eek:
You make some good points here,I have a sunlite 8WFP output is only a mere 300 ish lumens but! it will out throw the L2 by a long margin and many other high output lights :)

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quality versus Quantity...This has always been true but putting those lumens into a tight throw beam doesn't define quality, it simply defines what that user wants. Some people want flood and some want a good balance between flood and throw, all want a good number of lumens to back it up.

How long have you had this watersword with no pics????

:whoopin::whoopin::whoopin::whoopin: :whoopin::whoopin::whoopin::whoopin: