High Powered "D" M@g Drop in *Updated with Prototype*

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: High Powered "D" Maglite Drop in *Updated with Prototype*

Looks interesting, but I would have been more interested in an sst-90, even with the added cost. Direct driven with levels if it were possible. Beautiful product nonetheless.

SST-50 LED alone is $50+ dollars and no driver boards compatible unless you want to drive it at 2.8amps.

Mac

737mech

Enlightened

I would be interested in getting one. Just not right now. I have hit my light quota for the first quarter...:D

That looks like an outstanding dropin! I really can appreciate the thought and engineering that went into that. So the dowel pins are provided so you can thread the dropin into the Maglite head? Does this dropin give you the convenience of using the stock switch as well?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just put in a P7 into my 4D and also just recieved my TK40. Does this offer anything either of these can't. If it can I'll have one.

Gene43

Enlightened

I think it looks very nice! A great deal of thought went into it.

computerpro3

Newly Enlightened

Man, if this will work as a replacement to the Rebel 3D maglite, I would definitely buy one

houtex

Enlightened

Very nice. Can it run in a 2D? I have a couple of 2D's,no 1D or 3D. Can I use 123's or 18650's in a 2D? I'd like one, if I can't use it in a 2d guess I'll have to get a 3D.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in for 2 Mac. Your work is simply stunning!

justin78

Newly Enlightened

I really hope this will be a sst-50 but,
I'm in for 1 unit. :naughty:

Will this drop in has MODES to choose, eg 20%, 60%, 100%?

Last edited:

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened

So I do not know about mods. Would this head (drop in) just screw into the existing mag D light with no modification to the light, body, switch at all. and would it run on regular D cell batteries, how long, do they make a rechargeable D lithium battery like C123/RC123 scenario.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I do not know about mods. Would this head (drop in) just screw into the existing mag D light with no modification to the light, body, switch at all. and would it run on regular D cell batteries, how long, do they make a rechargeable D lithium battery like C123/RC123 scenario.

This unit will drop right in with no modifications to anything. You can use regular Alkaline battery's but to get the full brightness you would need to use NiMH cells. Such as these

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tpeh-td12000.html

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any beamshots of this prototype?

I will post some beamshots this week but as of right now there does not seem like there is enough interest to move forward with this project.

Thanks Mac

Yavox

Enlightened

I will post some beamshots this week but as of right now there does not seem like there is enough interest to move forward with this project.
Thanks Mac

I think it is because of so many different Mag drop-ins floating around. Maybe good beamshots would help??

Hill

Enlightened

Mac,

Beautiful work as always!!

I'm willing to guess the lack of interest is due to the "take over" of sst-50's (and 90's), and as mentioned by Yavox, the abundance of mag drop ins available. I understand you are not into designing high current (4-5A) boards, so making an sst-50 drop driven to spec is not within the range of the current project. And as you mentioned, the sst's alone would increase the cost considerably, which would really put it out of the range to make it a marketable product. It's really too bad since your massive heatsink would mate very nicely with the sst's. That plus the fact it's "Mac-made" quality.

Nice design and execution!

GLOCK18

Enlightened

I'll take the prototype if it's for sell.

flashfiend

Enlightened

I'm actually interested now if you wouldn't mind including a switch with purchase for those of us with LED modified switches. I really like the design and I know everyone wants the sst's as did I, but I'm coming around to appreciating the beauty of this design and the relatively low current draw (should be less heat especially with this heatsink).

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

FAR OUT! Some people are hard to please. This is a work of art. Forget that it may not have 'THE LATEST' thing. This is a great upgrade to any mag and I would love one, or two. And remember, this is about being a flashlight that is practical. Last year, and still, people rave about the TK40 and how 'bright' it is.
This simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade will turn any old boring mag into a WOW light that also has more than one output (unlike my P7. I wish it wasn't always 600 otf). Yes it may be more expensive than some others out there, but none of those look like this or are as easy to install. My mum could put this thing in.
PLEASE MAKE THIS! Even if it costs a bit more than $89. I bought another 4D today in the hope you will make these.
What would be your minimum number for you to make these Mac? Perhaps if enough people committed you could do this.

Come on people, I want one. It's only money. You can always sell your car.

Last edited: