High level (click, press hold) - 140/100lm
Force Setting: Disabled
Button Lock: Enabled
Automatic Turn Off: Disabled
Locator Flash: Disabled
Momentary: Enabled
Customization: Enabled

The rationale behind it all.

I decided that 0.3lm was just a bit bright for operating on just awoken eyes, I did a test and night, and found 0.14lm to be perfect for my eyes. 13lm was a bit too much for indoor, and general all around usage, so I decided on a level lower, and that seemed to work perfectly for my needs. 35lm was not quite enough for my outdoors usage, so I boosted the output up a level, and 50lm seemed to work perfectly. Then I left the quasi two output level 23 as my high level for when a lot of power is required. Similar to Jeff, I mess around with customization rather often, so it is best to keep it on for me. I prefer to control when my light is locked rather than having it turn off, so I keep button lock on as opposed to automatic turn off. Force setting bothered me, so I turned it off, and as a general rule, the locator flash is too low to me of use to me, so I keep it off as well. Those are the settings on my clicky! :thumbsup:

The edit I made shows the corresponding difference to my current Clicky set up! :thumbsup:

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
came in the mail yesterday, swear I've already worn out the tail switch! LOL

primary setting (dbl click) = .47lms
second setting (dbl click) = 42lms
third setting (tpl click) = 5.3lms
fourth setting (clk/hold) = 170lms

force setting disabled.
customization left on.

what a SWEET light!!!

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ra Clicky 170 Cn.

I am not able to customize the settings?

I am following the procedure in the manual.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks....

:thinking:

meant to comment on this... did you get it to work coloradogps?

even though I own and have programmed my twisty several times, I had a surprising amount of trouble getting into customization too... I found the manual didn't say how "fast" the twenty clicks had to be... and mine only worked if they were fairly close together... I found they had to be almost, but not quite as fast as a double or triple click... every time I went too slow it didn't work, but at the speed I did them I was in danger of the light thinking I did a double or triple click...

so try doing the 20 click a bit faster, that may help. And don't pause for long at all between your last click, and your "press and hold".

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
200cn

Primary Setting [click]: Default
Secondary Setting [double-click]: Default
Low Setting [triple-click]: 5 (was at 1 but changed )
Momentary setting (click hold) default
Force Setting: Disabled
Button Lock: disabled
Automatic Turn Off: Disabled
Locator Flash: Disabled
Momentary: enabled
Customization: Disable

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: **OFFICIAL** Ra Clicky Owners Settings Thread. Post yours here!

EDIT: I've decided to change this thread to become a thread just for Ra Clicky users to share their settings and tell why they chose them if they desire. Lets' see 'em!

I've been playing around with the customization for awhile and I can't seem to decide what brightness setting to use. Right now I have A-Max, B-35, C-6.3, D-0.3

One reason I'm having a hard time deciding is I don't know the runtimes for each setting. Of course that would be a MASSIVE undertaking with 23 settings of course so I guess a really good guess would have to do. I've thought about bumping up the 35 to 50 and the 6.3 to 8.8 or 13 for a low general purpose beam. I also thought about bumping up the .3 to 1.1 - like the older L1 used to have. I'm wondering how much runtime each of those setting would have. I'm sure the 1.1 setting would be probably like 80hrs or more. I played with the strobe but deemed it useless for me.

Anyone else have this problem? Not being able to decide what setting to have?

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Re: Can't decide what brightness settings I want for my Ra Clicky. Also runtime quest

Are you using rechargeables ?

If so, then the best thing to do is simply to top it off frequently.

One of the best features of the light is the way it's designed to work with rechargeables - it will step down gracefully, and let you know as you're getting to the limit of a cell's lifetime.

Given that it will run on max for an hour or so, any of those intermediate levels is going to give you more runtime than you can use in a single evening, so it's really pretty academic. All you need are some AW RCRs and a decent charger and top it off as often as you need.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Re: Can't decide what brightness settings I want for my Ra Clicky. Also runtime quest

I think you're settings are just fine. I doubt you'll see much difference between 35 & 50 lumens and from 6.3 to 8.8 or even 13.
Use the least amount of light needed to perform the task at hand.

I hardly ever have a need for the .3 lumen setting, so my Clicky 140 is programmed to.....

A= Max 140 lumens
B= 8.8 lumens (level 15)
C= 35 lumens (level 19)
D= tactical strobe

Preset B is my most used level. It's just the right amount of light i need when troubleshooting the hydraulic compartment in a dialysis machine and preset C is great if i need just a bit more.

I really also don't need the tactical strobe but it's fun showing it off :D.

CLBME

Enlightened

I played with mine on my EDC Exec. I then actually went back to the factory settings for it and haven't customized my 170 at all. As Paintballdad said it was hard for me to see much difference between lumen levels that are "close" in a practical sense and I think Henry has chosen a great "happy medium" for my uses. I really just need a low medium and high.

I do use my lowest setting often though as I navigate around the house with it to check on the kids and head out at night for plowing. I keep the lights off so no one wakes up. Once your eyes are adapted it's great how much light the low setting provides. As set from the factory the mid-levels are very useful but so close that I just use one. I find myself using the momentary high when it's on frequently for spot checking distances and the high a lot outside.

I don't have a need however, for a "certain" amount of light for what I do and therefore am not the best to answer I'd say.:rolleyes: I do carry extra batteries to address the run times, but again I'm not using mine for really long stretches on one battery.

My Twisty sees to 99% of my work needs and there is NO way I am going to try and customize that one. :D I'm looking forward to hearing what other user have done.

Last edited:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened

I definitely understand your concerns. I have a Ra Clicky 100 (warm tint), so my settings may not help you decide what settings to use for yours. However...

I kept all of the A/B/C/D levels stock except for the second one, (B), which I bumped up by a single brightness setting.

Like you, I wanted to keep most of the settings stock because think there's a real benefit to knowing exactly how long each setting will last. But there's a fairly significant difference in brightness between A and B, and I can see needing more than the hour of runtime I'd get from level A...but more brightness than I get from level B. So I punched up level B just a bit, which I figure gives me 2-2.5 hours of reasonably bright light.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps!

- FITP

m16a

Enlightened

I've been playing around with the customization for awhile and I can't seem to decide what brightness setting to use. Right now I have A-Max, B-35, C-6.3, D-0.3

One reason I'm having a hard time deciding is I don't know the runtimes for each setting. Of course that would be a MASSIVE undertaking with 23 settings of course so I guess a really good guess would have to do. I've thought about bumping up the 35 to 50 and the 6.3 to 8.8 or 13 for a low general purpose beam. I also thought about bumping up the .3 to 1.1 - like the older L1 used to have. I'm wondering how much runtime each of those setting would have. I'm sure the 1.1 setting would be probably like 80hrs or more. I played with the strobe but deemed it useless for me.

Anyone else have this problem? Not being able to decide what setting to have?

I know the feeling. Just keep customization enabled and play around with the levels that work best for you.. Eventually, you'll find a good setup. Your thought of bumping up to 50 and 8.8 are exactly what I did. Mine is set up keeping the stock 140/100 C+PH level, then my two double click levels are 50 and 8.8 lumens. 8.8 is my most used output. I will use that for almost anything inside and around the house, and even some close range outdoor stuff. 50 lumens is perfect for outdoor usage in medium to longer range applications, and 140 is there, just in case you need that large burst of light. The difference with me, is that I keep my low at .10lm for nighttime/dark adapted eyes. Works perfectly in this role as well.

Bottom line, with this light you have the flexibility to keep experimenting and you know that any level you choose, good runtime will follow. Just find a good output that works for your needs! :thumbsup:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I first started carrying these lights, I had my primary set to max. Every time you turn it on, it's very bright, and impresses.

After some months of use, I set my primary level around 35 lumens.

Why?

1. It is enough light for most general tasks.

2. If your primary level is max = if you accidentally switch your light on in the pocket, it's going to run the battery down quickly.

This has saved me a few times.

congrats on a great EDC, enjoy

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened

FWIW, (borrowing the idea from a fellow CPFer), I carry my 170 Tactical with an F04 diffuser to give me a wall of light, which I find better for the vast majority of uses. When I'm outdoors or need reach, it takes half a second to slip it off. I really light this setup because I feel it gives me the best of both worlds. I mention this because the diffuser not only changes the throw to flood, but it also kills some output, so I've upped each setting a bit.

I thought I'd want a strobe, but after much use I decided three light levels wasn't enough. My primary setting is 21 (diffused) lumens, and I find this adequate for using the light as a tool. The next step is 60 lumens, and the reason I chose that amount of light is because I've discovered that often I need a lot of light in already lit areas, such as changing a tire in a garage. I kept the moonlight mode and I kept max as max.

Also, I love that I can access "max" from off, which saves me the trouble of making my primary setting max (otherwise I had to turn the light on with it pressed to my thigh, and then double click- very annoying).

As for runtime, I'm not very concerned. I've averaged about two primaries a month, which is very good considering the light is new and I use it 10x more than I really need to, and I play with the light constantly. I have the output levels set very high and I've been pleased runtime.

When I go backpacking or such, I definitely plan on dropping every output level three notches. These lights are not only programable, but once figured out, they are easily programed.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm going to update the thread title and subject for people to come in and tell their setting and if they want, why they chose those settings. Thanks everyone who has posted so far....

I've reset mine to:
A-Max 140
B-8.8
C-50
D-0.3

Last edited:

CLBME

Enlightened
Re: EDIT: **OFFICIAL** Ra Clicky Owners Settings Thread. Post yours here!

HI Kdog3- It's funny, after your post and my earlier reply, I started playing with my EDC Exec again. I literally just finished resetting my two mid-levels by "eye". I don't have the number as you do. I set the on/medium level brighter, and lowered the medium-high level. I reset them as I wanted to have a lower lumen level for reading to my son at night, which is the medium/high but wanted the level to be brighter when it turns on. My kids share a room so I do it by flashlight.

I'll get the manual and edit this in the morning with the proper letter designation for the levels. :rolleyes:

I also enabled the button lock on my Clicky tactical. :thumbsup:

I like the change of title too.

CLB

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

DOH! Didn't see that.... If the mods want to merge them that would be fine with me...

DM51

Flashaholic

Thanks for the link, Hooplehead. I thought I had seen a similar thread before, but wasn't certain. I'm merging the two.

timberwolf

Newly Enlightened
My 140C is setup as per factory, plus buttonlock and locator flash.
My 140CN is setup like a 140C, without any other options enabled.