How is your HDS Ra Clicky set up?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised that so many people have forced setting and momentary disabled. I find them so useful and it still retains the non momentary function.

fasuto

Enlightened
I recived my HDS yesterday.
By now my settings are:

A: max (100l)
B: level 1 (0.07l)
C: level 18 (25l)
D: strobe

Memory on
lock b: off
auto off: on
flash: off
Momentary on

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
After fiddling for a couple of weeks, I've settled on the following for my high CRI Ra clicky:

A: level 22/100L (max)
B: level 13/4.4L
C: level 19/35L
D: level 1/0.07L

Preset Level: B (unless I let the boy play with it, then D)
Button Lock: off
Automatic Turn Off: On
Locator Flash: Off
Momentary: Off
Customization: On

--flatline

dyril

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that so many people have forced setting and momentary disabled. I find them so useful and it still retains the non momentary function.

I use my light primarily indoors. I haven't considered momentary since I use it for tasks rather than cursory inspections. I'm naive regarding where momentary is useful.

Therefore, momentary would be a nice extra but enabling it arguably doesn't retain the non-momentary function when forced/TOP is disabled; Mode A also becomes momentary. I dislike this since I like being able to either restore the current mode, or quickly set the current mode to A, from off (PHR vs click+PHR, if momentary were enabled).

I arrived at my setup a few posts up thinking that given 4 modes, I basically wanted 2 triplets of low/mid/high:
For the dim, B (low mid), A (high mid), D (max).
For the dark, C (min), B (low mid) and A (high mid).

I tend to reserve Max for when I have immediate access to another RCR123 (still working on a way to discreetly EDC those). I still find myself tweaking the levels for this configuration, so maybe I'm worse off by avoiding Max since that may be better set to a lower level so it'd be used more often.

I've also disabled locator flash. Using it feels too conspicuous in the daytime in the presence of others, yet I say that wishing it would be auto-enabled only in low light conditions where it's most practical. What's the parasitic drain of an ambient light sensor..

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Got a 140-E yesterday and spent a lot of time 'playing'; and the more I 'played' the more
sense Henry's Default Settings made. So I did a reset and I'm pretty happy with that.
Perhaps, I'll change the turn on setting to med high as required but for now turn on to
med. is fine and a simple press hold gives me burst or burst dropping to high with a
simple double click press hold from off. I really do like the Default Settings, Thanks
Henry.:)

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
HDS Clicky 170

Force Setting: Disabled
Button Lock: Disabled
Automatic Turn Off: Enabled
Locator Flash: Disabled
Momentary: Disabled
Customization: Disabled

High [press-hold]: 170 (23)
Primary [double-click]: 5.3 Lumens (13)
Secondary [double-click]:30 Lumens (18)
Low [triple-click]: .23 Lumens (4)

HDS Clicky 100 High CRI

Force Setting: Disabled
Button Lock: Disabled
Momentary: Disabled
Customization: Disabled

High [press-hold]: 100 (22)
Primary [double-click]: 6.3 Lumens (14)
Secondary [double-click]: 35 Lumens (19)
Low [triple-click]: .28 Lumens (5)

I tried the locator flash, but it wasn't really for me. Love the light though. :)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the locator flash, but it wasn't really for me. Love the light though. :)

I enabled the locator flash so that the light would be easy to find if the little man rolled it under the couch or something, but when we dimmed his room for the bedtime routine, the flash was bright enough that he noticed it (my holster is open on the bottom).

That was the end of the locator flash for me. Anything that makes getting the little man in bed harder than it already is is unacceptable.

--flatline

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I enabled the locator flash so that the light would be easy to find if the little man rolled it under the couch or something, but when we dimmed his room for the bedtime routine, the flash was bright enough that he noticed it (my holster is open on the bottom).

That was the end of the locator flash for me. Anything that makes getting the little man in bed harder than it already is is unacceptable.

--flatline

Yeah, the flash was brighter than I expected. I guess that's useful if you need to find it from a greater distance, but it would probably bother me when I'm in the dark. And I don't think I'd need it that often. I'm trying to decide whether I should attach a trit vial to it...If I did, I'd probably lash a Merkava II on the pocket clip hole...probably won't though.

And I think the Surefire F04 diffuser works well on the light. Not quite like a Fenix diffuser cone, but still useful if you want to change the beam characteristics.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just re-programmed my Clicky and it's now as follows:

Primary Setting [click]: ? lm (Level 18)
Secondary Setting [double-click]: ? lm (Level 11)
Low Setting [triple-click]: 0.07 lm (Level 1)
High [press-hold]: 170 lm (Level 23)
Force Setting: Enabled, Primary
Momentary: Enabled

I've got to find the chart to see what lumen output I'm getting at levels 11 and 18.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I just tried the momentary. The feature is actually very useful. I like it. So I have enabled it on both of my lights. I love how customizable this light is,

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried the momentary. The feature is actually very useful. I like it. So I have enabled it on both of my lights. I love how customizable this light is,

I just turned momentary on just to see how it works. Please correct me if my characterization is off in any way:

Pressing the button turns the light on the force setting (probably uses the last setting if force it turned off) and it turns off when the button is released.
Clicking the button turns the light on normally.
Click-Pressing the button turns on A (high) mode, but it turns off as soon as the button is released so you can no longer turn the light on high directly from off unless you're willing to continue the hold the button until you're done. You can still access A with click+press if the light is already on.

Did I get it right or did I miss something?

--flatline

Edit: original post erroneously said "press-clicking" rather than "click-pressing"

Last edited:

dyril

Newly Enlightened
Pressing the button turns the light on the force setting (probably uses the last setting if force it turned off) and it turns off when the button is released.
Clicking the button turns the light on normally.
Press+clicking the button turns on A (high) mode, but it turns off as soon as the button is released so you can no longer turn the light on high directly from off unless you're willing to continue the hold the button until you're done. You can still access A with click+press if the light is already on.

Did I get it right or did I miss something?

--flatline

Correct (with the disclaimer that this is what I also observe with my Clicky made in mid-2010); I read your "Press-clicking" as "Click-pressing." In either case with the light initially off, the mode you get from click-to-on is momentary for the duration of pressing, and A is momentary for the duration of performing the action of "switching to mode A."

Regardless of the customizable momentary setting, the light is always momentary for mode A by simple-pressing, while the light is initially on (non-momentarily).

cistallus

Enlightened
(I could not find a cached copy but my PC still had the contents of my original post of 12/26/10 in this thread, as follows)

My 170T settings:
Preset B [click] (Primary - factory turn-on): low (Level 5, 0.33lm)
Preset C [double-click] (Secondary): medium (Level 16, 15lm)
Preset D [triple-click] (Low): tactical strobe (170lm)
Preset A [press-hold] (High): max (burst level 23, 170lm then steady level 22, 120lm)
Turn On Preset: Enabled, B
Button Lock: Enabled
Locator Flash: Enabled
Momentary: Enabled
Customization: Enabled

I may tweak the exact medium and low levels as I use it more.

Rationale: I always like my lights to come on low first, but with quick access to high. I can't quite do what I want which is click from off to turn on low and press-hold from off to get high; this setup seems as close as I could get, I can get to high via click-press-hold or click, click-press-hold.

I hate memory so must have Turn On Preset enabled.

I probably won't use button lock that much but it doesn't seem to interfere with anything so I'll just leave it on.

Automatic turn off is just for safety in case, I rarely need to run my light continuously for more than 10 minutes, if I do I'll either click it again or just turn this off.

The locator flash is neat to find it in the dark, besides being an "I'm alive" indicator. If the light is on its side the flash can be a bit bright for dark-adapted eyes, but that's why the crenelated bezel is good, put it face-down and you can still see the flashes.

I often only need light briefly so I like momentary.

So far I haven't accidentally changed anything with customization enabled, and it's kind of a hassle to get into customization mode so I'd just as soon leave it on. I did enter it once or twice by accident, but as long as I don't press-hold while in that mode, I won't change anything and it will time out.

It looks like I'm the first one in this thread with every feature enabled. Henry put all those nice features in, gotta use 'em all! :)

Also, I have both tailcaps, and although I prefer the flat one so it tailstands (a bit wobbly) by itself, it is a bit more difficult to use for me than the regular protruding tailcap - I have to curl my thumb more and it's awkward. Besides, I carry the F04 diffuser with it which makes a fine tailstand.

Update: I went back to the flat tailcap, using a slightly different grip to make it easier to press.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
HDS EDC 170T black bezel raised tail pocket clip installed osram emitter

Preset B-42lm(primary)
Preset C-170lm(burst)
Preset D-.3lm(triple click)
Preset A-strobe

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've changed and tweaked my set up so many times. That's what I really like about this light, once you've done it a few times it becomes easy and changing settings depending on the use is quick. When I use my light for hiking I prefer to disable the preset, enable the button lock-out, and set all the output levels from medium to low with the brightest setting being 60lm. Since I mostly use it for work the light is set up 90% of the time with a high output as it's primary setting. My current setup being; A-85lm, B-15lm, C-1.3lm, D-emergency strobe, auto shut off enabled, turn on preset to A, and momentary enabled. So far I find this setup works well for me.

170T, GDP emitter