How's The Weather There ?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Feels like a very warm Spring this morning.
I went and grabbed breakfast at McDonald's in shorts and a T-shirt.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Ten miles outside of NYC and it is 46F this morning.
Next week it is predicted to have a couple of lows at 34F.
I suppose this weekend, if it doesn't rain, I'll drain the garden hoses, and the water lines to the back of the house.

It's time to start prepping for winter.

It stopped raining for 15 minutes, so the boys BBQed some chicken in the Back 40.

IMG_5012.JPG

Weatherman predicts we'll experience our first overnight lows in the 30s this week.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Beautiful! Another puzzle-worthy photo!
The original intent was to snap the photo of the vine covered tree and crop the rest out. When I looked at the photo last night I saw something that would not have been nearly as dynamic if I did.

IMG_1625.jpeg

As I left the office I saw the vine covered tree off in the distance. The day was windy and the leaves had all fallen off while I was inside.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Cooling down thanks god.. and for Black Friday Walmart had the most comfy sleeping pants that are warm I love this time of year summer is gone woohooo.. so comfy wearing soft cloths.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cooling down thanks god.. and for Black Friday Walmart had the most comfy sleeping pants that are warm I love this time of year summer is gone woohooo.. so comfy wearing soft cloths.

Pink Pajamas

Tune: "Battle Hymn of the Republic"

I wear my pink pajamas, in the summer when it's hot.
I wear my flannel nighties in the winter when it's not.
And sometimes in the springtime and sometimes in the fall,
I jump right in between the sheets with nothing on at all.
Chorus:
Glory, glory, Hallelujah;
Glory, glory, What's it to you?
Balmy breezes blowing through ya,
With nothing on at all.

Alternate verse submitted by Tina Vo:
I wake up in the morning with the sheet above my head,
and my little footsie-wotisy are a sticken out of bed,
and three times out of four I find myself upon the floor,
And I'll sware I won't be drinking RC cola any more.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Snow is forecast for Saturday here. 2-4 inches. Need to find the shovel...get the ice melt ready. Winter is coming, BOHICA!
Thanks for the reminder.
Today it is going to be in the mid 40's. Probably be good day to give the snowblower a couple of pulls.

Yesterday, I picked up three more bags of leaves, that makes 9 bags, and three 50 gallon garbage cans full for this week. We are coming pretty near the end of the road for leaves; probably another week or two.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's Autumn south of the Mason Dixon with a hint of winter in the morning(s). Good word CG.

Hey Poppy, if you have lawn shaded by trees the leaves combined with grass clippings make great fertilizer. Find a corner of the yard to build a roughly 6' x 6' corral, run the leaves over with the mower then vacuum them up with the mower (after the blades chopped them up), deposit into your corral.

Then in Spring bag up the first few mows of grass and place the clippings in the corral over the leaves. Stir about once a month. Don't worry that the pile is waste high. By late summer you'll have a 1' thick layer of loamy fertilzer you spread over the yard before a mow. Mow over the fertilizer to spread it evenly. Within a couple of years you'll see a huge difference in how well the grass under the trees survive hot, dry weather without watering.

First year I lived in my current house the tree shaded yard was barren and when I cut grass it kicked up a lot of dust. My grass clippings came from the back yard. I made a batch of fertilizer that Fall and stirred it all winter. The next September I spread it thick over new grass seed (creeping red fescue) just ahead of hurricane Irene. That winter I had grass. Lots of it too. In the Spring I had a thin layer of topsoil. I spread what was left the first time I cut the grass that year. It took a few years of applying it but when I had the trees removed there were no bald spots in the yard anymore, not even under the trees. Weeds aren't really an issue anymore either. Just clover but clover is your yards friend. Plus it draws endangered honey bees.

One year I used about 95% of the leaves as mulch for flower beds, mixing it with the sandy silt soil at 12" deep. Now it's 12" of well draining sandy loam.

While my neighbors are watering their brown lawns in summer I'm hoping it doesn't rain 'cause I'm sick of cutting grass every 4 days in the summer heat. Now that the trees are gone and the yard gets full sun the you can almost see the grass grow.

Plucking weeds from flower beds is a breeze thanks to the loosely packed loam. If you decide to stop using the compost in the corral it'll disappear in a year or two.

It's sunny and cool on this black Friday with a sky littered with whispy high altitude clouds. The hounds are laying belly up on the sunny side of the house that also blocks the chilly breeze out of the north. Autumn is such a nice time of year here.

haveyouseenthelight

Newly Enlightened
It's Autumn south of the Mason Dixon with a hint of winter in the morning(s). Good word CG.

Hey Poppy, if you have lawn shaded by trees the leaves combined with grass clippings make great fertilizer. Find a corner of the yard to build a roughly 6' x 6' corral, run the leaves over with the mower then vacuum them up with the mower (after the blades chopped them up), deposit into your corral.

sounds like a great plan, I have fallen leaves right now so might try it.

+1 on the clover, I always let it grow for the wildlife. It brings bees and moths, and sometimes small frogs live in it.