I think I know what Apple is going to do!

gorn

Enlightened
MyWi, available on Rock. Best $10 I ever spent. You can also link them up over bluetooth or USB if you don't want to setup a WiFi network.

I'll check that out. The PDAnet is free so I have no real complaints. I like the bluetooth ability though.

It is nice to be in the middle of nowhere and get net access.

burgessdi

Newly Enlightened
:popcorn: This is a most interesting thread!

I've always been a mac fangirl. My dad brought home the Lisa when I was a kid and from then on I just used Macs. I do use both platforms but most of my software is also Mac based.

I made a huge mistake though and got the mac mini that doesn't upgrade to Snow Leopard. :mecry:

Having said that I will say it is sometimes amusing to see people go ballistic everytime Apple releases a new product (even when they don't need it). :crackup:

At this time I don't think the max-iPad will meet my needs. I'd rather just apply the money towards a new MacBook. It does look spiffy though!!!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cat and the iPad.

iggy investigates an ipad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9NP-AeKX40

iPad Cat watches iPad Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qwrtNdRZgQ&feature=related

Ipad Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyO-KiYIDm0&feature=related

Ipad Cat 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9NYPAEbvEo&feature=related

Or you can just watch the Compilation
OMG! iPad Cat Compilation - iPad Cats Strike Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkeFryN8Z4&feature=related

No cats this time
Magic Piano for iPad [initial tour]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yKw2cYDWg&NR=1

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, we bought an iPad the week it came out, and I've actually used one, so I feel it is now time for me to comment again. That and my craziness at work has let up somewhat.

OK. Multi-tasking. To say that the iPhone and iPad "don't multitask" is flat out wrong. The hardware is fully capable of multi-tasking, and does it all the time. You can listen to music while surfing the web. If that's not multi-tasking, what is it?

That said, the thing that people are getting at when they say this is that you can't run two or more third-party apps at the same time. This is a software/OS limitation, however, and can be lifted any time. And in point of fact, iPhone OS 4.0 will enable third party multitasking on the iPad, iPhone 3GS, and 3rd gen iPod Touch. It comes out this summer.

Flash. Flash is a pig, both in terms of memory and processor use, and it's an adobe product. It should be replaced, and it will be replaced, and Apple is just forcing the issue. If this is a deal breaker for you, so be it. Personally, I am with Apple on this one. Anything that I have needed so far, flash-wise, has been taken care of by an app. Need to watch a youtube video? There's a youtube app that works great. Need to watch a TV show? There's a free "ABC Viewer" app that also works great. Ditto Netflix, and Hulu will be (or maybe even already has) come out with an iPad app.

I have yet to run across any webpage where I noticed any problem by not having flash. Now, granted, I'm not a big web-surfer, so maybe my experience is unusual, but I don't think it's going to be far from what the average person will experience.

As for uploading photos to your iPad, you don't have to email them to yourself!!! That's totally ridiculous. Whoever said that must have no experience with the iPhone or iPod touch. These devices, including the iPad are meant to be synched with another computer.

THE IPAD IS NOT A NETBOOK. IT IS NOT A LAPTOP. AND IT IS NOT A LAPTOP REPLACEMENT.

If you wanted it to be those things, you are going to be disappointed and you won't buy one. And that's fine. It wasn't meant for you.

So what IS the iPad if its not a netbook or laptop replacement?

The iPad is a very intimate, and very capable mobile device. It will (or already does) shine in the following areas:

1. Games.
2. eBooks.
3. Web surfing and email.
4. Remote screen / terminal applications.

Before I take these one at a time, let me just give you my first impressions of the iPad. Well, actually, my VERY first impressions at the store were underwhelming. I was like, "eh. I'm not sure I'll get one." I mean, they were positive impressions. I was really impressed with the sound (more on this in a minute) and with the screen (wow is that thing beautiful), but I wasn't feeling the whole "magical" and "revolutionary" vibe, to say the least. But I went back a couple more times and read about some of the future apps for the iPad and talked with my wife, and we decided to get one (more for her than for me). And so let me talk about my "first" impressions over these past two or three weeks or whatever its been.

First, I don't know how they did it, but the sound on this thing is FANTASTIC versus what you might expect. It's way better than most, if not all, laptops. Crazy good sound considering it's a flat thin metal and glass object with only three small rectangular holes for the sound to come out of. But however they did it, the sound is VERY respectable. Quite good enough to be enjoyable. It won't replace your home theater system or anything and you won't host a dance with it, but it does the audio job and does it well.

Second, this thing is FAST FAST FAST. Talk about RESPONSIVE! Again, I don't know how they did it, but it is far faster and graphically capable than it has any right to be in my opinion, based on my previous experiences and expectations. It's freaking crazy. And you can see this in the games that are already out for it. This thing is going to RULE the mobile gaming device scene. Rule. And the games are CHEAP! An "expensive" iPad game is $15, and most are under $10. Crazy. And the iTunes storefront setup and SDK allows for lots of small-time programers to get into the market, vs. the PC game scene which is mostly dominated by the big game companies.

Third, the screen is gorgeous, vibrant, and with a really good viewing angle range. Two people can easily share a moive watching experience on the iPad. And, WOW, do HD movies look good on this thing. As do TV shows streamed over the net.

Fourth, the iPad is an intimate device. You curl up with it. You can use it very well lying down with your head propped up. Or curled up in a chair. It's always on. It's lying around. You grab it and go and are surfing the web or checking email in an instant. It's incredibly responsive. Apple made a choice to go with the iPhone OS over OS X. I expected them to go with OS X and to make a laptop replacement. But they went the iPhone OS / mobile device route. And I think they made the right call.

When I started just using this device, that's when I started to feel the "magical" vibe. And to think there was something to the notion that the iPad is "revolutionary". A little bit. I think it is. I think it will be. And I think that all those people predicting its failure are suffering from a failure of imagination.

If you think of the iPad as a terminal--as a window, a portal, into your powerful desktop or laptop computer, then so many possibilities open up. There's already a proof of concept app out that allows you to move windows from your main computer onto you iPad. The main computer on your home network is the one running the program (for example, Photoshop) and doing the heavy lifting, but the USER INTERACTION and input happen through the iPad. And the communication happens over the network, over the wi-fi.

Apple is the first company to really change an OS to use a TOUCH UI. Previously this was not the case. Previously you just had a stylus replace the cursor/mouse. But working with your fingers and hands is different than using a mouse or a pen. And the iPad is the fullest expression and utilization of that fact. It's just a different experience than a mouse-based UI. And until you've spent a few hours using it, you won't appreciate just how different it is, and you won't appreciate the potential of the touch UI. It's pretty amazing. My wife is a graphic designer, and one of the first apps we bought for the iPad was Sketchbook Pro. Cost a whopping $10 or so! And she immediately did a painting on the iPad, after only spending a couple minutes checking out the onscreen instructions. This thing is sensitive--there are a lot of touch sensors in it, and good extrapolation algorhythms.

The iPad IS going to be part of a mobile device revolution. It's going to be big. There are things to complain about. You can lament the lack of a camera or gripe about flash or third-party mutli-tasking, but this is missing the larger picture. Even if this device isn't for YOU, it is going to be right for a lot of people. Apple has a winner here. Just wait and see.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been asking around from my Mac owning members of my family (they own stock also) to an incredibly annoying Mac fanboi PIA if they got an iPad. So far, nobody has taken a bite. It won't do what a laptop or netbook does so it is not needed. My fanboi buddy got one in hand and played around with it for awhile and put it back. He said his jail broken iPhone will do more and maybe he will think about it when they come out with revision 2. He does a lot of Skype with his buddies overseas so requires a camera.

Considering the "my way or the highway" attitude of Apple lately...it is going to bite them were the sun don't shine. Steve Jobs hates stylus input so the iPad would be really a poor choice for education (do math problems with your finger?) The point of the iPhone/iPad is a business model of being closed with proprietary parts/dongles/software etc. Reminds me of Sony, they did that proprietary thing back in the 70's-90's and Samsung has passed them by. The iPad reminds me of the Mini Disc system in the same way--great idea that was dragged down by the proprietary ways of the creator and it cost way, way too much for the consumable portion of the device.

The GOOD thing about the iPad was Apple's competitors wildly overestimated what it was. Windows responds with Phone7 and the dual 7" touch screen Courier, MSI/Asus are rolling out dual touch screen 7/10/12" dual touch screen netbooks running ARM processors (Tegra2) or Atom CPUs. Watch out for the avalanche of Android/Chrome OS tablets for $300 or so.

I have no use for a 10" tablet, be it Apple, Dell or Android tablets. A dual 12" touch screen netbook? Sure! I can type on one screen and view it on the other as well as read books with the dual screens. Stretch the background over two 12" screens allow a portable solution to requiring a large screen. Fold it back up, throw it in the backpack and not worry about damage to the screens. Plug in the USB 3.0 port and it will transfer 1080P video through the port along with audio and data so a single USB 3.0 port will transfer everything to a hub to simplify it. Lay it on a charging pad, plug in a 3.0 and it becomes a desktop. A simple Atom D500 dual core with ION2 auto switching graphics will give me 1080P out so I can watch it on TV in hotel rooms. Lay it out flat and it is a giant touch screen--the one device that can do it all. Sure hope it accepts stylus inputs, can't write notes with a fat finger worth much...stylus and touch please!

Now to see what Asus has up it's sleeve in June. My friend asked me if there is a smart phone that docs to a monitor and you can plug a USB hub in for a real keyboard/mouse/monitor desktop experience. Hmmmm... the new Dells will dock to a thing that has USB and HDMI out--maybe? A smart phone with a USB 3.0 and HDMI ports so your smart phone can be a laptop/netbook/tablet/desktop by plugging it into a USB hub?

That would be magical!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Thanks to Gizmodo, now we all know what Apple is going to do..

340xstevewozgray.jpg

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple's Thoughts on Flash

I don't know why Apple is accused of "my way or the highway" or of being "proprietary". This is nonsense. Thanks to Apple and Steve Jobs and their increasing music market share, songs on the iTunes store are DRM free. This is amazing, and welcome.

Similarly for OS X install discs. The Snow Leopard update disk, for example. Legally, it is only meant to upgrade Leopard, but it will do a full install. It isn't locked to one piece of hardware. And it was only $29.

So Apple wants to control it's hardware and operating system? So what? If that's proprietary, I say bring it on. More of that, please. It results in much greater stability and fewer bugs.

Steve Jobs hates stylus input so the iPad would be really a poor choice for education (do math problems with your finger?)

You can buy a stylus for the iPad. Sketchbook Pro sells one (or the company that makes that program). What you can't do is just use any old plastic implement. It's a CAPACITIVE touch screen. But this doesn't mean that there isn't a stylus available. Why can't people do their homework before they make this disgusted statements?

Even engaget in their review of the iPad lamented the fact that the headphone port was at the "top" of the iPad, and they ridiculed the fact that you would then have to thread the headphone cable down the back and they were like "come on Apple! This is stupid." Ah, no. There is no "top" to the iPad. Just flip the thing 180 degrees if you want the port on the bottom, for crying out loud! More importantly, when you watch a movie, you do so in landscape, so the port would be at the bottom left or upper right. And yet this doesn't stop a major website from talking out of their rear-ends, apparently.

To say that the iPad "won't do what a laptop or netbook will do so it is not needed" is a gross generalization. For some people this is certainly the case, and they are well and truly entitled to their opinion, and can spend their hard earned money how they see fit.

This is fine. The iPad is not a laptop and it's not a netbook. It won't appeal to everyone. But so what?

If the Kindle can sell well, despite being such a specifically targeted device, there's plenty of market for something like the iPad which can do so much more, as well as what the Kindle can do.

The App store on iTunes is the very opposite of closed and proprietary. It has opened up a HUGE market and presents an excellent opportunity for a great many programmers and small software companies. Apple only takes 30 percent and handles all the store front stuff. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about this sort of stuff knows this is a very generous deal, and is the reason why software for the iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad is so cheap and why there are so MANY apps, with more added every day.

So no one you know has gotten an iPad? So freaking what? If you think this means that the iPad is selling poorly and that Apple's demise is imminent, you are sadly mistaken. Apple has sold the better part of 1 million iPad's at this point. They sold 300,000 the first day, and many people were probably waiting for the 3G models to come out. I don't know what the exact sales figures are as I type this, but I suspect it won't be long before sales top 1 million. Maybe they already have.

And yet nay-sayers like to imply that the iPad is a failure. What the heck? That's just ridiculous. Compare iPad sales to Zune sales if you want to know what a "failure" looks like.

The iPad is an amazing mobile game platform, an amazing eBook reader, an amazing mobile web and email device, an amazing portable movie and video viewer, and a surprisingly powerful and flexible mobile device in general which will have a wealth of applications and uses once software developers have some more time to do their thing. And do it they will.

If you don't think the iPad is "magical" then don't freaking buy it. But don't pretend that the iPad is a failure and that your way is the only way and is the way that everyone is thinking.

It's not.

Clearly.

gorn

Enlightened
I picked up an iPad. I waited and thought hard before I bought it. Then I decided to get one because the idea of what it was was just cool. I use it at night when something pops into my head and I want an answer right away. I used to use a Toshiba 12 inch tablet laptop before the iPad.

You can not compare Apples touch screens with any other. Apple just blows them out of the water. My wife is just getting comfortable with using computers. She loves the iPad. The iPad isn't a netbook and never pretended to be one. I miss having flash and normal usb ports. The keyboard is still strange to me but I can buy a bluetooth keyboard if I ever intend to do lots of typing on it. Printing is a pain in the butt. Other than printing pictures via an iphone app it means emailing stuff to a real computer.

Apple is and always has been proprietary with their hardward. So was Packard Bell and IBM. It worked for Apple, no so much for the others. All in all I really enjoy the iPad. But that doesn't mean that I won't be buying an HP Slate when they hit the market. I just hope the new generation of tablets can have a touch interface that is at least as nice as Apple.

Am I an Apple fanboy that will go on a mouth foaming rant becaue someone doesn't like Apple? No. I wouldn't own an Apple laptop. I do however own an iPhone and iPods. I mostly really like them dispite how much I hate iTunes.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
New iPod Nano announced today:

newnano3.jpg

16GB of storage space with touch screen display, FM tuner, and pedometer, with a clip. Now featuring the Shake-To-Shuffle feature (shake the player to change songs), VoiceOver (reads aloud what you're touching on the screen, so you don't even have to look) and Display rotation (so it doesn't matter which orientation you prefer). And it still retains the standard iPod plug interface; any aftermarket plug-n-play device you have will now have a touch screen interface. Delivery will begin next week.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
That new nano is incredibly cool-but I already have a 3rd gen touch. Plus, they gave the shuffle its buttons back :hitit: That was a major problem before. The new touch is awesome too, they gave it one of those super high density retina displays. I've never used a device with as many pixels/in^2 as the iphone 4. It's pretty cool.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that apple left out bluetooth for so long and is still leaving out FM radio annoys me... the wireless interface chipset on the ipod touch supports wifi, bluetooth, AND fm radio.... the hardware is there, apple just doesn't want to use it. Probably to increase itunes sales.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I win some, I lose some.

Apples earbuds don't fit my ears so I can not buy the buttonless stick shuffle. I had to get 2*1GB shuffles as my local stores do not have any old style 2GB left. (My 2GB Hip Street MP3 player died and Walmart had discontinued them)
Glad the old style shuffle is back. Just 2GB! Guess Apple is trying to push people towards the new Nano.

I got an old 8GB Nano that looks like a mini iPod Classic. The 16 GB stick style was just released but the screen orientation was all wrong for watching videos when docked. Got by by crunching the videos/movies to 320*240 resolution. (Official Mamma Mia the Movie off iTunes store 853*354 is 1.21GB, works out to 320*135 on the iPod screen; my 320*240 version handbraked off the full screen DVD is only 416 MB.)
It does not look like the new Nano supports video at all.

The iPod Touch is out of my price range. With the hi-res screen I will have to recompile my videos/movies back to 480*640 or 853*640 which means a 32GB Touch holds the same amount of videos as my 8GB Nano. To hold more means a 64 GB Touch. Sigh.

-

But its 240*240. The old Nanos are 320*240 which will support 4:3 video.
Just noticed, the new Nano has a 220 pixel-per-inch display; it's a semi-Retina display..

Last edited: