Inova X1 (3rd Gen) First Impressions

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. I don't understand why they could not have put a better LED and emitter in it and just charged a few extra bucks. It would have been the perfect little inexpensive high power light that you could pick up just about anywhere. If RiverRock can do it, why not Inova? My little 1 AA RiverRock puts out a beautiful 42 lumens and I only paid $22.00 for it.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, I remembered seeing the LED somewhere.

I think MattK is right, the X1 is meant to be a relatively cheap yet high quality light to enlighten the general public. Does the mean they will use the Luxeon Rebel next(about $3 each)?

Most of the general public have never heard of Fenix or the other lights that we know so well (much less about Cree and Seoul LEDs). Since Inova is on much more shelves than Fenix, there isn't much competetion. They will sell well to the public.

Last edited:

Hans

Enlightened
Delta said:
I'm glad I didn't jump on this one yet. I had real high hopes for the new X1, and this is thoroughly disapointing. I can't understand why a company would put out a product that is SOOO ridiculously below current market standards?? Especially when you consider that they are putting the reputation they built up at risk?

Seems to me like Inova is losing its way. With the current crop of flashlights on the market and many manufacturers continually improving their offerings I predict Inova will be in for some hard times. Given the quality of present LEDs there's no doubt in my mind that the mass market will belong to AA and AAA based lights, and Fenix has shown what's possible with a light running on humble AAs and AAAs.

Sure, Inova make hard use lights of very high build quality, so I'd be prepared to buy an Inova with a somewhat lower performance, but there's a limit to what's acceptable. A better LED and two stages, that would have been it.

Peak, LRI, and now Inova ... They all seem to leave the market to Chinese made lights without putting up a fight. A shame that. Peak is at least offering modern LEDs in their lights now, but there's still no two stage light. *Sigh*

Hans

Hans

Enlightened
MattK said:
"Why wouldn't they use XR-E Cree's, Seoul P4's, Or AT least Luxeon I's?"
Because those are expensive emitters and this is an inexpensive light. Cree & SSC emitters still cost like $5-6 by the 10's of thousands. The Luxeon was like $2.50 last time I checked. Also, those emitter packages are really too big for the X1.

I do understand the price thingy, but the physical size shouldn't really be a problem. Fenix doesn't appear to have any problems fitting a Cree into the LOD CE.

Hans

Cydonia

Enlightened
There isn't much to say really... except to buy every old Generation 2 X1 you can get your hands on while they are still around!! :grin2:

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Cydonia said:
There isn't much to say really... except to buy every old Generation 2 X1 you can get your hands on while they are still around!!
grinser2.gif

If both Gen 2 and Gen 3 are somewhat less than stellar in their output, why do you favor owning the Gen 2 light? Why should I grab one (or every one I can find)?

Cydonia

Enlightened
martytoo said:
If both Gen 2 and Gen 3 are somewhat less than stellar in their output, why do you favor owning the Gen 2 light? Why should I grab one (or every one I can find)?

Cause' the old ones have longer run time using 5mm led - with the penalty of even more dimness - but the same build quality. For those of us who enjoy dim long running lights... this new X1 is a bit of a disappointment. Maybe it's even a disappointment if you like bright lights too? It's just an excuse to grab a neat old light before they are gone. (Sure, they'll be on BST (buy sell trade) section for ever, but I'd rather a new one while ya still can)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be willing to say that Fenix sales volumes aren't even a rounding error for Inova.

Remember, Inova makes a high end, mass-market product. It's clear that they do not cater to niche markets the way LumaPower and Fenix do. I think those predicting Inova's downfall are way off of the mark; just because they're not building a product that's as cutting edge as this community might desire that doesn't mean much of anything in terms of their overall financial success - they don't NEED CPF. Their lights are in Sharper Image, Target etc..Inova is the new Maglite if you will. They're not trying to be Fenix - or Surefire for that matter - they've staked their flag at the premium end of the consumer market and it's been hugely succesful for them. Let's face it, Streamlight has been around for decades and while they're big in the professional svcs market they're nowhere in the consumer market, Surefire does great with military and LEO but most consumers won't pay that much for a light. Inova is making extremely high quality, well engineered, HA'd lights for the masses and rolling in the dough.

The new X1 is vastly superior to the previous generations is all aspects except for runtime. The reflector/LED are brighter and throw further, the color rendition is better. It uses up a cheap AA battery in 2 hours - is that really so terrible?

I still have plenty of Gen 2 black body/white LED in stock as well as all of the colored LED models for those who prefer the Gen 2. :)

Me? I'll keep carrying the LumaPower F1 as my EDC. :)

jthomson111

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from Target. They had two black gen3 x1's priced at $19.99. I picked the brightest of the two. It is brighter than the gen2 but not as bright as i was expecting. It has a deeper reflector. I will have to wait until it gets dark to do more testing.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's threads like these, were people complain about a product, and seem to think that they have some foresight above and beyond a major company's research, product, and development, market placement, etc, without even having the product in hand, that makes me think that CPF is heading in the wrong direction; that of an elitist, never satisfied group.

The X1 fills a gap in Inova's line, and I'm sure Inova did enough research and development to justify the light's manufacture. Has anyone ever pondered to ask why Streamlight, Inova, Surefire haven't jumped on the Cree (or Seoul) bandwagon? Are they being slow with this supposed advancement, maybe because the newest LED's either don't fit in the product line, or maybe these new LED's have a possible long term issue?

Inova, SL, SF have bigger issues to worry about (i.e. warranty, product support) then some overseas made light, made somewhere by a company that offers no support, warranty or otherwise.

If you don't like it, that's fine. I do think it's incorrect to assume that we, CPF, have any greater technological knowledge to criticize a company because that company did not make a light to "our" specs.

Last edited:

Delta

Enlightened
bondr006 said:
My little 1 AA RiverRock puts out a beautiful 42 lumens and I only paid $22.00 for it.

I bought one of those today. It's no Fenix, but it IS a nice light!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
when did they ever make colored v.2 inova x1?

They have for quite some time...they're 'quadpacked' in little black tubes. You'd only find them at a company like mine, not on the shelf at Target. :)

Hans

Enlightened
dano said:
The X1 fills a gap in Inova's line, and I'm sure Inova did enough research and development to justify the light's manufacture. Has anyone ever pondered to ask why Streamlight, Inova, Surefire haven't jumped on the Cree (or Seoul) bandwagon? Are they being slow with this supposed advancement, maybe because the newest LED's either don't fit in the product line, or maybe these new LED's have a possible long term issue?

That may well be possible. In fact, it's one of the reasons why I opted not to have my HDS lights modded - the Luxeons are known to last a long time, and I value reliability much more highly than performance. I also noticed that Surefire and some of the other major players seem pretty slow in jumping on the bandwaggon, and I can well understand why they want to be on the safe side. After all, their long term reliability is one of the main reasons for buying a Surefire. Or an Inova.

But on the other hand - why didn't Inova choose a decent Lux I for the X1? And, more importantly, why didn't they go for a two stage light? Lights with two or more stages are here to stay, even in the mass market. One bright level with, say, 1 hour runtime, and a low level with something like 3 or 4 hours. That would increase the options for the user, and may even make marketing the lights easier: " An ultra reliable, small light running on common batteries that lets you set the light level depending on how much light and how much runtime you need. Perfect for everyday use and use in emergencies."

See?

Hans

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 stage lights are inherently more complicated. Inova uses tailcaps for all of it's lights but the T4 and 2 stage tailcap switches are usually inefficient AND unreliable. A lifetime warranty is cheap to offer if there is little to break. If you make a light with an inherent weak point you're practically guaranteeing a much higher warranty service cost. Also, this is a light that RETAILS at 17-20 - how much do you want to spend?

Raven

Enlightened
It's threads like these, were people complain about a product, and seem to think that they have some foresight above and beyond a major company's research, product, and development, market placement, etc, without even having the product in hand, that makes me think that CPF is heading in the wrong direction; that of an elitist, never satisfied group.

Maybe, but the success of Fenix vindicated a lot of CPF'ers who lobbied hard for a high quality premium aa lux, and maybe Mag wouldn't be playing catch up if someone in their R+D department had been a member of this board :D

Hans

Enlightened
MattK said:
2 stage lights are inherently more complicated. Inova uses tailcaps for all of it's lights but the T4 and 2 stage tailcap switches are usually inefficient AND unreliable. <snip> Also, this is a light that RETAILS at 17-20 - how much do you want to spend?

A somewhat ineffcient 2 stage switch is better than none in my book. Even a not-so-bright light is far too bright in some situations. This is something more and more people seem to realize. For instance, I loaned a couple of my two stage lights (L1P's with modded tailcaps) to some friends, none of them a flashaholic, and they all commented how nice it was to have a low level when using the light at night.

I also don't really think 2 stage switches need to be unreliable. Don's tailcaps for the Surefire E1L/E2L, for instance, don't really strike me as being unreliable at all. On the contrary, I find them more reliable than the Surefire Z57 clicky.

The price ... Well, sure, you're right. The price is low, given the excellent build quality of Inova lights. But I think I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get a light that's that much more useful to me.

Hans

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
They have for quite some time...they're 'quadpacked' in little black tubes. You'd only find them at a company like mine, not on the shelf at Target. :)
I only ever saw the v.1 with colored led.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF has an enormous intelligence, experience and talent base in a good many things, and can be quite technically excellent.

However...

If there is one thing this board occasionally lacks, it's true understanding about the world of marketing. Marketing is always bashed here as mindless, greedy grubbers who will lie endlessly to make a single buck; and that's pretty much it. Marketing is a sophisticated endeavor that many don't seem to appreciate around here. Not saying you should, either, only give some credit where credit is due. There are endless numbers of threads attacking manufacturers marketing concepts and belittling product launches.

If Inova is aiming to be the New Mag, and they are, then bravo to them and I wish them well.

Yes, I am a corporate Marketing Manager by trade... the only one here on CPF, I think!!

Delta

Enlightened
MattK said:

I'd never even heard of colored V2 X1's. What colors do you have?