Is this a tattoo era?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Greta, or anyone else with some tattoo knowledge:

What do you think of L.A. Ink, or Miami Ink, or Inked, or similar shows about tattoos / tattoo parlours?

I've watched them. A bit too much drama at times, but great advertising for the tattoo places. Even better than free advertising, they got paid to be in front of the cameras.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. OK. Well, I'm kind of interested. I think I'll watch an episode of LA Ink out of curiosity!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I haven't seen any of those shows either. I was told by a friend that there is also a show about plastic and enhancement surgery?!?! I guess a lot of people contemplating it and curious so perhaps these shows do serve an audience and of course their mere presence is an endorsement for society in their own right, I suppose.

For some reason(s) much of what is on TV reminds me of Fellini's Satyricon. I am probably just jaded and getting old..... :eek:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I haven't seen any of those shows either. I was told by a friend that there is also a show about plastic and enhancement surgery?!?!

Ah... "Dr. 90210"

It's entertaining in a deformed-fool-dancing-for-the-King kinda way. If you know what I mean.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Do you remember: From June 2009/page 3 of this thread -

An 18 year old girl in Belgium is claiming that during a visit to a tattoo parlor, she requested three stars be tattooed on her face - but then fell asleep not long after the procedure began and awoke much later to this:

article1193384055c95500.jpg

Here's a picture of the girl from last week; looks like she never did get the ~$10,000 needed for tattoo removal:

article0128fa073000005d.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Like I said, she got what she wanted. Her parents freaked out. She said the tattoo artist mutilated her face.

On the bright side? Apparently he didn't do a very good job because the stars are fading and look grey.

She went in with the intention of having just three stars tattooed on her face, fell asleep, probably with the aid of some sort of drug. The phone rings, the tattoo "artists" answers it........and just doodles away.

~ Chance

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
My step-father has a couple tatoos. He told my brother and I not to get any and that he wished he never did. I don't care for being stuck with needles as it is. That is the one of the main reasons I won't get any. Not sure about my brother though. It seems like if he wanted to, he would've got one already. They aren't very appealing to me either. Tatoos that are full arm, full body or something like that are the only ones that really turn me off though. I've never seen any like that in public so they either cover it up all the time or they hide at home. Same goes for those that have multiple eyebrow piercings, nose piercing and stuff like that.

IF they want to do that to themselves, I don't care. All I've got to say is good luck finding a job.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
She went in with the intention of having just three stars tattooed on her face . . .

That's what she said. (Literally.) :sssh:

I guess she's sticking to that story. Still, even if it had only been three stars; it's still three stars on her face. Dr. Evil has a good point about being able to find a job. You can cover up most tats during a job interview. Face and hands are the clear exceptions though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
She admitted to a TV station a week after the incident that she was indeed awake for the entire procedure and asked for all 56 stars, she had just been lying because she was worried how her father would react.

And a celeb news source says she's spent $18,000 for removal procedures thus far..

clipboard01vt.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In that case, forget the facial tattoos. She shouldn't be hired because she clearly lacks good judgment.

article0128fa073000005d.jpg

Clearly a case of stupidity not being painful enough to stop the actions of a teenager. :shakehead
"Sorry Honey, your mother and I spent your college tuition having the stars upon thars removed."

Seldom (if ever) do those who know me, hear me calling for more laws, but it does seam reasonable that an 18 year old who can't drink alcohol legally, shouldn't be able to have 56 stars tattooed on her face.

~ Chance

Yes, but not necessarily. The government decides at what age one is able to legally consume "adult" beverages, but said government is unable to provide, or prove maturity.

I wholeheartedly agree that actions should have consequences.....they teach lessons that are not soon forgotten. Love and Logic teaches children should be allowed to make mistakes, and then suffer the logical consequences of their actions. My point was, some lessons are too severe, and that is why governments should help society protect itself by enacting laws designed to do just that.....for example, setting an age requirement on when one is legally able to drink alcohol,......... or have 56 stars tattooed on their face.

~ Chance :devil:
aka Reluctant Devils advocate when it comes to more laws.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Clearly in her case . . . I'd have to say "no." (When it comes to shouldering the responsibility and being able to legally drink at 18 years of age.)

You know what's really sad. She's a pretty girl. Obviously not very bright.
(Are we sure alcohol wasn't involved before she hit the tattoo shop?)

It's just sad that a pretty girl would mutilate her face that way. I mean, if you're an ugly dude and you're trained to work as a tattoo artist, okay. A face tattoo would not only be okay, but could realistically be an improvement. But a young, pretty girl, with her whole future ahead of her . . . :shakehead

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't have any piercings or tats, and don't intend to get any. And while realistically I don't want my future wife covered in stars, the rebel rocker inside me actually kinda likes the tat sleeve wearing, pierced cheeks and eyebrows look on girls. Something about that is strangely attractive to me. Not that I will be dating some Miami Ink chick anytime soon, but I like the look. Figure that one out. :shrug: Like pop singer Christina Perri for example-she's pretty tatted up and I think she's super foxy.

nbp

Flashaholic
StarHalo said:
And super talented; you know a girl's the real deal when she has a tattoo of Johnny Cash's autograph..

For sure! I tend toward hard rock and alternative with some classic rock and blues thrown in for good measure, not pop so much, but Yeah I bought her album, and Yeah it's very good. I'd pay real money to have that chick, tats and all, sit on my couch and just play guitar and sing for me. Some of her videos on youtube of her just playing acoustic and singing in front of a camera are really good; raw and gritty and very cool. Pretty girl + real talent = real sexy. Plus, in that line of work, tattoos are no big deal at all.