Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Poison Smoke Bombs :devil:

6772p.jpg

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what snakes are indigenous to your area, but most snakes have very poor vision. They sense heat from their tongue and vibrations.

With a few exceptions, most are more afraid of you than you are of them and will only attack when threatened.

If it headed under the sofa, the odds are that it retreated up IN the sofa. It doesn't take much of an opening for them to get in.

I collected snakes as a kid and was pretty comfortable around them, but wouldn't want one loose in my house, especially not knowing what kind it is.

Do update us on your findings.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might have sold the couch on E-bay.
Lol
The couch was well sealed. I rolled it over, checked the bottom and all around, the stiching is in-tact and it has no apparent opennings.

My constant searching for the snake led to another discovery - looking in the front door when I came home from the gym, I saw a mouse jump into a cupboard. My house is clean, uncluttered: though there is a loaded gear storage room in the basement (chemicals, tools, building supplies, diving gear, camping gear, climbing gear, etc...) it has no food in it, and we don't have tenants in our basement appartment presently so the rooms are squared away. This mouse must be new. Indeed, I found mouse droppings in the cursed cupboard, and in the oven drawer.:mad: This was no good at all, but it did lend weight to DM51's suggestion, perhaps the snake was just looking for food.:) Isn't a purposeful snake is better then a rogue snake?
My partner and I went and bought mouse traps, and looked at the snake traps but were un-convinced. We did, however, splurge on these 'glue mats' that are supposed to trap whatever is moving near the baseboards.

• After two house searches I figured I'd made my presence known: I left some quiet time for the snake to exit. Then (~7hours later) I foamed up the cracks through the cement blocks (the old fireplace), well and good sealed using an entire 'Great Stuff' can. I tried some portland on the other side, but didn't have the right mix and just went for enough to indicate if it was disturbed.
  • While cleaning the kitchen my partner saw the mouse scurry across the floor. The 2nd sighting.
  • We set the mouse traps (Victor Kwick Kill)
  • Nothing happened
I called a friend who's sister is a Researcher/Warden for the Ministry of wild things (snakes, bears, birds...i just can't recall her title) and went over the improbability of now finding a snake in a house - somehow the fact that the last place I'd ever expect to see one is in the middle of my livingroom doesn't mean that I'll be so lucky again. Apparently the best way is to trap them, enticing them out with warm bait. The preferred method is a freshly killed mouse, a snakes favourite meal.
!@SNAP @! thud, tumble, scratch scratch
The Victor mouse trap, with a piece of extra old cheddar and a smear of peanut butter, caught a mouse near the cupboard. (Day 2 with mice.) :whistle:In a snap the mouse went from pest to prized possession, and became bait itself for a snake trap. But despite leaving the whole side of the house in quiet darkness all evening and night, the warm fresh mouse gradually cooled, and by morning no snake and my partner threw the mouse out.

//Unfinished, but bed time, to be continued.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
leave the snake alone...

Each year on May 10, the people of Springfield drive snakes to the center of town and beat them to death. The tradition appalls Lisa. Barry White arrives to begin festivities, but is disgusted when he discovers what the holiday is about. Bart finds out about the true origin of Whacking Day and suggests to Lisa that they lure the snakes to safety by playing music with a lot of bass and putting the stereo speakers to the ground. They get assistance from White who sings "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" attracting hundreds of snakes into the house.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Maybe a neighbors borrowed cat could help find it?
I live in a largely wooded area and snakes can be a problem. My wife puts out moth balls all around the perimeter of the house and it keeps snakes and rodents and sometimes people away. I tease her sometimes and tell her I saw a snake eating the mothballs! Get them at a dollar store where they are cheap.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
unless its a rattlesnake i wouldnt worry about it.
you have found the reason it came in.mice.
it will do your extermination for free if left alone.
probably a ratsnake of some sort.harmless unless you are a mouse!

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
I don't necessarily think glue traps are all that cruel. It just sucks when you realize after setting them up how many insect/pests come across them. Then you are freaked out that they are everywhere. :(

When I was a kid I used to go out and stomp on the ant hills with the neighbor girl. That was probably mildly cruel. However in my home, nothing I do is cruel to get rid of pests imho. Of course, I'm talking mainly spiders and other insects. Fortunately, I haven't ran into any snakes inside.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Glue trap isn't going to do much for snakes as they'll just crawl off with the trap attached. As for rats and other rodents, they typically carry diseases. Glue traps work well. I can't feel sorry for a disease-carrying rodent that might endanger the health and Life of a child or an elderly person.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
because glue traps 'work' doesn't make them cruelty-free.
obviously it is the slowest death possible, ultimately from dehydration.
would you like to be stuck in a mass of glue for a few days while you died?
most of the disease danger comes from rat feces, and you'll have ALOT of rat crap spread around by the time mickey succumbs.

have some compassion and break their necks, unless you still get enjoyment from torturing animals.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Have some compassion and break their necks, unless you still get enjoyment from torturing animals.

So far, no one has invented a more effective mouse trap than the glue trap. While I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I have been fortunate to rarely deal with rats invading my home. And the vast amount of my compassion is saved for children and elderly folks who have not been as fortunate as I have. It's mainly saved for those forced to live in slums while their penny-pinching bosses find ever more creative ways to screw them out of a decent wage.

But, I'm also an animal-lover. I just draw the line at a different spot than you do. Most folks would step on a **** roach with no feelings of supposed cruelty at all. The folks I bought my apartment from would let **** roaches crawl on their children. Looking back over the years, I should have called Child Protective Services on them. Point is, some folks draw the line at different levels. I see nothing wrong with using the most effective trap currently on the market for dealing with rats.

However, yes; I agree with you that it's best to fold the trap once it has done its job, and put the rat out of its misery quickly.

Illum

Flashaholic
But, I'm also an animal-lover. I just draw the line at a different spot than you do. Most folks would step on a **** roach with no feelings of supposed cruelty at all. The folks I bought my apartment from would let **** roaches crawl on their children. Looking back over the years, I should have called Child Protective Services on them.

hating house roaches is something that gets effectively passed down from one generation to another...and it maintained that status quo around here, but I play with wood roaches quite often as they seeming live in harmony with termites and what not in wood piles

for rats, the more humane ways would be those electric traps, seconded to mechanical devices similar to pigeon traps and stuff the rats, trap and all in a CO2 chamber. There are no humane way to kill a snake, other than probably pop it in the head

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Illum, while those traps you mention sound like they might work well. Some of those sound rather dangerous if someone has small children. If a child somehow comes across a glue trap you could get it off of them fairly easily.

Maybe worth looking into for a single person or a couple without children...

Status
Not open for further replies.