LED DRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
I am currently designing a headlight kit for the 3rd gen Mazda RX7. I am almost finished but have run into a snag. I know what i am going to use for the high and low beam, both are Hella projectors. However I am at a loss for what to use for the Daytime Running Light (DRL). I would really like to use LEDs. I know that the C6 DRLs are rated at 302 lumens and it is an incandescent bulb. i assume that a 1 lumen is 1 lumen whether its incandescent or LED.

I would prefer to use LEDs pre-mounted to a PCB, something like the luxeon star. my main concern is that it is bright enough to be easily visible during the day.

the second part to the equation is that i need a lens that is between 40 and 50mm.

any suggestions would be great.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a little more complicated then you're making it... You can't just have similar outputs to a DRL, you have to put that light in the right places. You're not going to find the optics/reflectors necessary to do this, well, anywhere, as far as I know.

I would suggest looking around for a DOT compliant DRL module that fits what you're looking for as far as size requirements.

Scheinwerfermann ought to be along soon.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Actually it's a lot more complicated than you're making it. You can't just kludge something together and decide "Yup, that's bright enough, it's a DRL". There are performance, design, and construction requirements for DRLs. These requirements are mandatory even though the DRL function itself isn't (in the US); if a car is equipped with DRLs they must conform to the requirements. Likewise, there are design, construction and performance requirements for all other lighting functions (high and low beam headlamps, turn signals, parking lamps, sidemarker lights and reflectors, etc.); just because you are using the Hella projector units does not get you anywhere near home free as far as the safety or legality of your overall assembly. Are you enclosing these projectors in a housing, and putting them behind a clear lens? If so, you've got some very stringent, difficult-to-meet environmental sealing and lens durability requirements to meet. Does your new combination lamp include all the functions included in the original combination lamp? If not, it fails, period. See previous threads here and here, and more technical discussion of the technical aspects of homemade LED car light construction here and here.

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

3 pcs of any 3 W white star led above 80 lumen at 350 mA will be in the ballpark for one side DRL. Drive each led at about 300- 450 mA so you got 100 lumen from each, adding them three up will do 300 lumen.

These are the most popular and proven stars (all need to be mount on a additional heat sink):

Cree; XR-E, XP-E, XP-G. SSC; P4. Philips; Rebel.

If you just want one star, you can go with SSC P7 (driven at 1200 mA) or Cree MC-E (driven at 1200 mA all 4 dies in P or 600 mA 2S, 2P)

A lens that give about 15 to 30 deg vertical and 60 to 120 deg horizontal should also be in the ballpark. Check Ledil and Carclo fx.

BR

Last edited:

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
i have been looking at options for optics, preferably for something pre-mounted to a star board. and it needs to be 35-45mm

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
A turn-signal DRL module would be your best bet.

can you link me to what you are referring to?

Roadgoing lights need to meet the legal standards. It's not optional or "would be nice".

my intention is to sell them as "for off-road use only" there are several kits available and are far from legal as they use fog light modules for highs and lows. rarely are we pulled over for these things and more often than not cops dont know any how. now i am comfortable selling these kits this way because the lighting is better than the stock lights.

i am very aware of the legal aspects of the lighting. and i do appreciate your input

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even using the phrase "for off-road use only" doesn't make them exempt from Federal standards. Your attitude is concerning me. You admit that you consciously choose to break laws, based on objective opinions, and don't see anything wrong with it.

As SWN has said in many other threads, headlights (and other lighting systems on a vehicle) are safety features, not toys to be modified and messed with at whim.

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
Even using the phrase "for off-road use only" doesn't make them exempt from Federal standards. Your attitude is concerning me. You admit that you consciously choose to break laws, based on objective opinions, and don't see anything wrong with it.

As SWN has said in many other threads, headlights (and other lighting systems on a vehicle) are safety features, not toys to be modified and messed with at whim.

i am well aware of these facts, and they have nothing to do with my question, as i ask what would work and not what would be legal.

also i will be producing them with the intention of them being used in a track or show setting. if someone decides to use them on the road that is their choice. (example if you began to abuse pharmaceuticals, is it the manufactures fault? no, you made a conscience decision to do so.) i am, however, realistic and they will be used on the road in some cases. now in that situation i want some thing that wont draw attention to the user, and if at the same time i can offer something that will keep the user safer, then yes, i am comfortable doing so.

now back to my question, what led and optics would be easily visible during the day at a distance of say 150yds and has a 35-45mm diameter

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am well aware of these facts, and they have nothing to do with my question, as i ask what would work and not what would be legal.

As others have said, these are safety devices and not toys. You have admitted that people will use these on-road, and since that's the case, if it isn't legal, then it doesn't work.

This is the turn-signal DRL module I spoke of. Safe and legal, no extra lighting to mount, and does not alter the appearance of the vehicle.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
can you link me to what you are referring to?

He probably means this or something similar. He's right, too.

my intention is to sell them as "for off-road use only"

It's a common misconception that labelling or advertising as "off-road use only" exempts you from the Federal regulations applicable to anyone who makes, imports, or sells regulated vehicle components (such as lights). In fact, it does not. If a lamp assembly is physically capable of being installed on a motor vehicle certified by its maker or importer as complying with the applicable Federal standards, then that lamp itself must also comply. And since all roadgoing vehicles in the US are required to be certified by their makers or installers as complying with all applicable Federal standards, it means your lamps must comply.

there are several kits available and are far from legal

So? "Officer, c'mon, I only have a little heroin on me. There are several people who have a lot more on them, so they're far from legal." Ridiculous, right? Right. You're making the same argument.

rarely are we pulled over for these things and more often than not cops dont know any how

That doesn't make them legal, nor does it make them safe, and it has no bearing on your intent to sell illegal lights. Have you considered the liability issues that arise from selling noncompliant items of vehicle safety equipment? Seriously, think about it: you can be sued for enormous sums of money, and if you cannot prove that the equipment you sold is fully compliant, you will lose quickly and badly. The only way to shield yourself from that liability is to make your lamps compliant; even if you were to have your customers all sign a form stating they assume all liability, legally you are still responsible because you're the maker/importer/seller of the equipment. Regulations don't cease to exist or fail to apply to you just because you don't bother to know or understand them, y'know. And they're there for a reason: to protet public safety. A car's lights aren't toys, they're safety equipment.

now i am comfortable selling these kits this way because the lighting is better than the stock lights.

I see no evidence you're qualified to make any such a statement. And it looks to me as if you're violating Rule #11 of this forum.

i am very aware of the legal aspects of the lighting

Given all the wrong statements you've made so far, I don't think you are.

DM51

Flashaholic
Rule 11 violation:

You agree, through your use of this BB, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly illegal or promotes illegal activity.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.