Maglite 2C ML100...hands on

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great. So long as you wait (?) seconds to turn it off, you'd never see strobe in set one. Thank you.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get it to cycle High-Low-Off consistently just with a slight pause after the second click, about a half second is all you need.

elumen8

Enlightened
Now are these full clicks, or just touches (I'm wondering if a full click turns it off at any point, or if once you turn it on, then you have to cycle through all levels in that function set before it turns off)?

Depending on which function set you have it on, its a full click. Once you turn on your desired function for a couple seconds, then a single click turns it off...you don't have to cycle thru the functions. The momentary is just a touch.

No difference, the switch is not capable of momentary.

The electronic switch on the ML100 is fully momentary when that function is set.. It is a press and not a click.

JB

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The electronic switch on the ML100 is fully momentary when that function is set.. It is a press and not a click.
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. What I meant was that the switch itself is not physically capable of momentary (in the sense like a mechanical forward clicky). The momentary mode was a creative way to get past the hardware limitation by requiring two presses to keep the light on.

An electronic switch that is physically capable of momentary would be like the one Streamlight uses in the Stinger and Strion LED models.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite was suppose to come out with color version of the ML100 as well, since the black one was released, no sign for the colors, I called mag asking for it, was told that the color versions were canned. What a shame.

I wasn't happy about the news, must had made some noises over the phone. I think the customer service person felt bad for me, as she asked if I'd like to evaluate a new version that's still under development which runs on 18650 rechargeable battery, sure, what the heck, I said yes.

A few days later, I got this evaluation model in the mail:
ML100-L is to the left of regular Mag 2C
dscf1296k.jpg

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned
Maglite was suppose to come out with color version of the ML100 as well, since the black one was released, no sign for the colors, I called mag asking or it, was told that the color versions were canned. What a shame.

I wasn't happy about the news, must had made some noises over the phone. I think the customer service person felt bad for me, as she asked if I'd like to evaluate a new version that's still under development which runs on 18650 rechargeable battery, sure, what the heck, I said yes.

Oh, man... how'd you charm them out of that? I want one!!

Rich

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add one thing to the OP's review. The new ML C head has a new Led centering mechanism, this is huge deal, as centering mechanism is very hard to design, its not seen in any flashlights before its amazing that Mag can make this new design feature fit into the head.

One can tilt the second ring in the head to adjust centering of the led!

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite was suppose to come out with color version of the ML100 as well, since the black one was released, no sign for the colors, I called mag asking for it, was told that the color versions were canned. What a shame.

dscf1296k.jpg

Is this for real.....or just a joke with a modified cutdown ml100

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I fess-up because I can't lie. There is no ML100-L, this is a cut-down mod.

Since the 2C & 3C has the same 137 LM rating, I suspected they have the same driver, i.e. the 2C driver might be able to handle at least 4.5V.

I took the risk & cut my 2C ML100 to run 1x18650 & it worked out :)

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the number on the module? If it's 106, you're probably overdriving the LED, and a fully charged lithium-ion would be too much.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, that's something different then. 484 is 3D XP-E, so it's hard to say what type of circuit 483 is.

Only if the 3-cell ML100 uses the same module would it be buck-boost. Have you used a fully-charged lithium-ion in the 2-cell ML100?

BTW, Maglite is out of stock of ML100's right now, so I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet.

richpalm

Banned
OK, I fess-up because I can't lie. There is no ML100-L, this is a cut-down mod.

Since the 2C & 3C has the same 137 LM rating, I suspected they have the same driver, i.e. the 2C driver might be able to handle at least 4.5V.

I took the risk & cut my 2C ML100 to run 1x18650 & it worked out :)

You got me! But my impeded sense of humor usually doesn't "get it."

I know you don't have a lathe. How did you cut it down and rethread it?

Rich

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if the 3-cell ML100 uses the same module would it be buck-boost. Have you used a fully-charged lithium-ion in the 2-cell ML100?

Yes, my 18650 Li-ion is fresh off the charger.

You got me! But my impeded sense of humor usually doesn't "get it."

I know you don't have a lathe. How did you cut it down and rethread it?

Rich

There are at least 3 ways to do it without a lathe, see my review thread here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ag-D-like-a-Human-Lathe&highlight=lathe+human

I used the method #2, the "Belly Cutter" technique on this one.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I use the momentary most often. The Power Save or Low really isn't a large enough difference in lumens. There is a very slight humming sound when the light is on.
-JB

I wonder if the electronic switch is the sole culprit for the humming you hear or if it results from a new driver...the reason being is that an improved driver/boost circuitry would go quite a ways to complement the move to Cree. The boost circuit used in the older Mag 2AA Rebel just wasn't very effective at maintaining even semi-flat output (Nimh AAs help in mine, but not as much as I'd hoped). PCC, a user who has a lot of experience modding later-model lights from Mag, said the following about the 2D Rebel's boost circuit:

The stock driver in the 2D draws 1600mA for the measly 700mA (estimated) output to the LED.

(Not sure if those issues were addressed with the newer Minimag and 2D iterations (with XP-E) but I'll find out soon, what with BF sales starting early on this year).

Beyond the e-switch I love the C-cell form factor and classy look of the ML...now if it can sustain fairly constant output before falling out of regulation I'd be impressed and would insta-buy :grin2:

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the humming...on my ML125, the humming is much louder on the 6V NiMH pack than 3.6V NiMH. I think it's related to voltage, the more the inductor works, the louder it is.

I will be making some runtime graphs for the ML100, so stay tuned...due to holiday demand right now, review units are on the back burner and I'll probably be getting the ML100 in early December.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
That makes sense since stepping 6 volts down to around 3.6 would require the circuit to do more work than when running off of 3xC NiMH (also, what is the added advantage of having 5 shorter, lower capacity cells in series for 6V instead of 4 cells at 4.8V and greater capacity? Wouldn't stepping down a voltage closer to the LED's operational input voltage be more efficient or at least grant more capacity/runtime?)

Any input on when/if the ML series will be available at brick and mortar retailers like ****'s/Lowe's, Robin?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts