Maglite 2C ML100...hands on

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be more efficient with 3.6V, but the 6V pack has twice the energy of three Eneloop AA's (15Whr vs 7.2Whr), so even if it's less efficient, it'll still last longer.

All I know about the ML100 is that it has been shipping out to retailers for a while now, so it should be soon.

do we still get the donut hole rings?
There's a smaller range of focus, so it's not as severe. It's impossible to get smooth focusing from a reflector, so you'll always have a hole in the middle. Here's a beamshot:

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
seems to be nice powerful torch, and the beam pattern looks good too.

but this is no wonder. it runs on 3x AAA (whereas most of the LED torches CPF deals with use the "more common" cell configurations: 1x 18650, 1x AA, ..)

Looks like Maglite is catching up!!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be more efficient with 3.6V, but the 6V pack has twice the energy of three Eneloop AA's (15Whr vs 7.2Whr), so even if it's less efficient, it'll still last longer.

All I know about the ML100 is that it has been shipping out to retailers for a while now, so it should be soon.

There's a smaller range of focus, so it's not as severe. It's impossible to get smooth focusing from a reflector, so you'll always have a hole in the middle. Here's a beamshot:

Mine can focus much better than the picture shown. Its not perfect, best focus still has a weaker center but not a hole.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some more info about the ML100...

Just completed my runtime test for the 2-cell ML100...

ML100_2C_Runtime.png

Looks like the same as the XL200, reduce to 50% after 12 minutes of runtime. I don't have a chart for the ML125 yet (alkaline test is in progress, ~24 hours left), but the ML125 with NiMH reduces to 75% after 12 minutes.

Remember, this type of behavior is preferred by law enforcement for better runtime, but you can always reset the light with a power cycle if you need more light (however, chances are, you probably won't even notice it).

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming the old Maglite cones will be too big now for the narrower ML model heads? Any chance they will introduce just a basic on/off 2C model using the newer cree like the 2D? Also, are the newer cree models using the same switch assembly as the Rebels were? I've had two 2D Rebel models both quit for the same contact problem, not interested in buying another dog.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a completely different platform for the ML-series, but the D-cell lights have not changed except for the LED.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I may check out an ML model sometime. Definitely taking a pass on the standard Cree though. Couldn't manage to get a month of usage out of either Rebel before they got flaky and quit.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of batteries have you been using? Maybe they're not making contact or there's something accumulating on the top?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell alkalines. It looked more like a flaw in the design at first as too much plastic seemed to be covering the contact of the LED/switch housing, but even after removing the offending bit of plastic, they just continued to work intermittently. It was pretty disappointing and my faith in their reliability with the new design went way downhill after the second one exhibited the same behavior.

On the flipside, my old 2C Mag incan with the LuxIII drop-in LED still ticks right along, just used it the other night.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's the plastic...has the metal contact been flattened? Somewhere along the line, Maglite made the contacts flat (like on the ML-series), which should be a more reliable design. Before that, it had been either a spring or a curved piece of metal, which would lose contact if it became flat.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been awhile now since I've had them but I seem to remember it was a large black plastic piece with a small circular hole and the contact metal, which was factory flat, was within that hole. My first example had some excess plastic covering part of the contact hole which I intially thought was the cause. After removing that excess, more of the metal contact was exposed, but it still flickered and brightened, or died, then I would whack it against my hand to sometimes get it to come on again. Just an annoying experience I don't care to spend another 35 on to do again which is why I was curious if the switch/contact housing of the Cree versions had undergone any changes. I'll probably just check out an ML model later after its seen some use and abuse by the public.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably the cam shaft that is having connectivity issues, if you want to disassemble the switch tower and check the connections there (and see if there are any more bent metal contacts), that would probably be it.

Paladin

Enlightened
Inquiring minds want to know one more thing. Has Maglight decided to reverse what is normal battery installation?

Paladin

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
I may have to pick up one of these. When I first discovered this site I got all into the whole high-tech world of tactical lights, but now that my excitement has settled, some of my favorite lights are still mags. They have some amazing throw. My incandescent mag-charger is great, can hang with the best of the high-lumen chinese lights when tightly focused. I too had the same trouble with my original generation 3AA mag led. I'm sure that by now they have corrected any first generation problems. This new ML100 seems like a great size light. Next on my list: ML100 and mini-maglite pro+ (when i can find one).

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the looks of the new C-cell LEDs but IDK about some of the changes made in the design.If these lights have actual heatsinking then that will be a welcome improvement over the LED conversions for the incan models and should make the light more suitable for constant operation.I would like to get one but will probably wait till they make it to B&M stores.