Maratac AAA Q5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikelo

Newly Enlightened
i received 4 naturals in the mail today. i am giving them away as part of my groomsmen gifts. fit/finish on all 4 is great. led's are a little off centered on all, but i have come to accept that on any led light i buy. one of the 4 has a very purple tint. the other 3 are a white color.

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
Oh...the news just gets worse and worse.

First...PWM. If it is as bad as the Leather S2 low mode then....grrrr:sick2:

Now...purple tint... I wonder how my two inbound lights will be....grrr :ohgeez:

chibato

Newly Enlightened
forgive me if this has been discussed already (ive only seen it mentioned, not answered)...

the maratac light claims "High Mode, 62lm Output for 48 Minutes" on countycomms site "Using A Single Duracell AAA battery"...

the iTP A3 EOS is pretty much the exact same light, different body. It claims "High 80 lumens for 55 minutes"....

what gives? different battery used for the EOS or something?

shade

This did come up earlier, and I think it was assumed Maratac is just using "Surefire" type lumens and that they are probably the same.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
After a week long wait, I finally have my Black and Natural Maratac Lights. :thumbsup:

-The black has a stronger hot spot, and appears brighter.
-The Natural has a more defused hotspot, and appears a little less bright. Very Close though. Cant wait to see these tonight when its dark.

I am running them off Energizer Advanced Lithium at the moment

That's interesting, since a few others have reported their natural ones have been brighter. LED lottery I guess?

Marduke

Flashaholic
That's interesting, since a few others have reported their natural ones have been brighter. LED lottery I guess?

Doubtful. That large of a difference would be outside the range of LED lottery (if you believe they are all Q5 flux binned). The difference is perhaps more likely attributed to a cheap circuit.

You do indeed get what you pay for. In this case, it appears as if you get large variations from unit to unit in brightness and fit.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything being equal, the black one with the shinier reflector should be brighter.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Oh...the news just gets worse and worse.

First...PWM. If it is as bad as the Leather S2 low mode then....grrrr:sick2:

Now...purple tint... I wonder how my two inbound lights will be....grrr :ohgeez:

Did you just find out about the PWM? I only ask because it's been talked about for a while and if your lights are still inbound I guessing you didn't order very long ago.

Nearly every manufacturer sends out a few lights that could have better tint. Look as the Surefire T1A, NovaTac's and others. At $20 bucks a piece I'm not sure how bad the news can get man.....:huh: This thread has been a predominantly good news.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the natural cos people said it was brighter. Now it's the black one that's brighter? No one said anything about that PWM thing earler either.

sabre7

Enlightened
I ordered the natural cos people said it was brighter. Now it's the black one that's brighter? No one said anything about that PWM thing earler either.
The natural one is brighter, no wait the black one is brighter, no, the natural one is brighter, I mean the black one is brighter, the natural one is brighter, no...

I don't think the external color affects the brightness of the light, no wait...

Shoulda got both!! :crackup:

streetmaster

Enlightened
The natural one is brighter, no wait the black one is brighter, no, the natural one is brighter, I mean the black one is brighter, the natural one is brighter, no...

I don't think the external color affects the brightness of the light, no wait...

LOL, how could the anodizing make any difference?

Both the AAA and the AA are re-branded iTP's, 'nuff said. I don't mean that in a bad way.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered 2 Nats.

Will probably order an update model iTP from Going Gear. I really like the iTP C7/C8 I bought from Going Gear. His paracord 550 is pretty good stuff as well.

After buying the Quark AA and LiteFlux LF2XT my need for new lights disappeared. Out of nowhere this light appears and now I bought 2 and probably 2 more of the iTPs once the update model is available. I thought I had this under control....

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's been shown and stated by people who have gotten the black one, that it has a different reflector. It has nothing to do with the anno color.

600052283_4McQu-M.jpg

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Has anyone been able to get the circuit out of one of these? I am not sure if I will change out my emitter as I actually like it as is for now.....I still very much want to know what these look like on the inside.

BWatts

Newly Enlightened
Everything being equal, the black one with the shinier reflector should be brighter.

A buddy and I just ordered two from County Comm—a black and natural. We set them to the same mode and compared beams against the ceiling in a dark room. We noticed a pretty big difference in beam color (the black had a cooler beam) and and subtle one in brightness. We weren't sure why, but then I saw some of these posts where people had had similar experiences and thought I'd throw my two cents in. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for the picture Nake. Maybe the small reflector isn't playing a huge role in this case but if I had to guess on one projecting more light forward I'd probably put my hope on the black one. Even though it's OP, as least it's shiny. Kinda make me want to order a black one now.

sabre7

Enlightened
It's been shown and stated by people who have gotten the black one, that it has a different reflector. It has nothing to do with the anno color.

Uh... yeah I know. Making a joke there. :poke: FWIW reflectors don't increase the led output any more than the ano color either. It may only appear so when comparing a tight spot to a broad flood beam.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fiance said "Its so tiny!

Thats not what you want to hear from your fiance...
Not bothered by the PWM (Especially considering the price) BUT, it is very noticeable IMO and I would plant myself in the middle of the road as far as sensitivity is concerned.
So do you have any other lights and how does the PWM compare to them?

Anyone hear anything about different tints for this light? I would dearly love a warm tint

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW reflectors don't increase the led output any more than the ano color either.

Not the LED output, but the amount of light coming out of the flashlight. I've done tests substituting a heavily stippled reflector with a shiny med OP and the output of the light I tested increased by 30lm.

Status
Not open for further replies.