Masks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout24

Flashaholic
I have found breathing in through my nose and exhaling through my mouth, downward, helps some with the fogging. PITA for sure.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grabbed some cr_ppy KN95 masks since the masks in public mandates are surely coming:

PMvYpBs.jpg

And yeah, just as cr_ppy as I remember: hello fogged glasses no matter how hard you try. Hopefully some better options will become available.

Those are some cool classic lookin Ray Bans!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Those are some cool classic lookin Ray Bans!
I've got something like 10 years on those frames. Not sure if I'll be able to update the prescription, which is unfortunate since they were the best Rx lenses I've ever had.

A real N95 mask has a exhaust valve, which may be helpful.

Aye, however they're presently unobtanium through retail channels.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So I got to pondering what a cool cat would wear in a pandemic in previous decades.

63-DE4-B19-318-E-4977-96-E0-5-BBD7440-F75-B.jpg

1930's
1934 American Optical welders sunglasses and a blue bandana

A7598-E91-3-CBB-4-BE7-9889-1-C6-B8-E936-FD6.jpg

1950's
1959 Bausch & Laumb wayfarers (later named Ray Ban wayfarers) and a checkered bandana

50-D02-D8-C-95-C4-4-A84-9164-ACFF870-D494-D.jpg

1970's
1971 American Optical pilot shades and a red bandana……

I wonder what Elvis would wear

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I hope to see the exhaust valve masks soon..
If mandated do you think they'll be handed out "free" as a courtesy at stores entrances

Ha. No. It's much more fun to require people to use something they can't possibly source.

Joking aside, I think that's a good part of why they say just use anything you have: actual N95s are like hen's teeth and should be saved for those who really do have sick people coughing in their faces.

I have some customers asking me to wear a mask when I visit their house. My buddy's wife is sewing reusuable cloth masks with all kinds of fun prints. I had her make me one with Space Invaders characters on it, haha. I got it today, I'll have to post a pic later. Should be more comfortable than a bandanna.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Year plus ago we picked up filter masks from Home Depot (I believe). Used to always get the yellow twin elastic bands because a beard and a mask don't play well together. So this time we bought a dozen or so N95 because of the exhaust valve feature making it easier to breathe out without fogging, etc. Now there is guilt and social pressure because I am denying a healthcare worker a needed protective device by wearing it. So old motorcycle Aerostich fleece wind triangle it is. Anyone here ever buy from Aerostich? They had interesting catalogues.

Thing about exhaust valves is, if you are trying to not infect others, seems like the unfiltered exhalation could transmit microdroplets...

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Thing about exhaust valves is, if you are trying to not infect others, seems like the unfiltered exhalation could transmit microdroplets...

The common designs I've seen look to direct exhalation downwards, likely robbing it of both spread and velocity

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah some N95 have valves, some do not. The good full face respirators are WAY easier to breathe in and out through and are much more comfortable for wearing during something like demolition or painting. But if you wear one to the Walmart you look like a maniac. Lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Battery failed on my digital thermometer so I ventured out to score a battery. Made a call or three to source one since a new thermometer is more rare than unicorns right now.

A920-E42-A-E305-4370-A2-BE-5-EFD4-FBB4-F72.jpg

1983 Maui Jim's and a flag bandanna to dash in and out of a CVS.

Get back home and the thermometer still said low battery, even with two different new cells. Uh oh. Could be a problem later. That will not do.
Went out to my truck and grabbed my handy dandy concrete thermometer. Under the tongue said I'm 85 degrees farenheit. Hmmm, under my pit said 97.5. Mrs Fixer said moms add 1 degree when using under the arm pit.

My son needed one as well so I lurked online for concrete temp reader probes. I kept getting hits for meat thermometers. Box stores showed dozens in stock for pickup at local stores. Venture back out? Well it was raining so most home and gardners should be still dinking coffee and waiting for the rain to stop.

Just in case I'll wear the good mask. The farmer Brown one with a slice of home hepa filter sandwiched between the 2 layers of cloth. Sun pops out. Uh oh must hurry before the crowd arrives. Sun glare on shiney roads. Aaaauuuugh!!

B3-DF1-D99-B300-4-B43-9-D52-ABE2-E0-ABC35-D.jpg

2005 Ray Ban wayfarers with shatter resist polarized Zeiss glass Rx lenses for the glare and a home made hepa filter mask for peace of mind.

Glad I had my good mask. It seemed like half the county had the same idea. Well, about 50 people in the store and most wearing masks. Again I noticed seniors not wearing them. Mrs. Fixer ventured off to house plants while I drooled over grills. I grabbed a couple meat thermometers in the grill section and met her on the way out with some flowering bushes for her flower garden. Got in car, opened meat thermometer, stuck it under my tongue, 98.6, nice.
Due to the novel corona thing I had spritzed the packages with a homemade peroxide applicator.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just returned from weekly trip to Trader Joe's market. Sign outside door states a mask must be worn to enter, and employees are all wearing masks now too. No customer reusable shopping bags allowed in the store. Store provides paper bags at no charge.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe masks will be part of the "new normal" in the furure..
Food For Less grocery store was handing out dispenser type disposable masks to customers not wearing one..
While another grocery store could care less about masks. They have signs above produce asking customers to slip a plastic bag on hands while molesting their veggies and melons.. So, go figure..

nbp

Flashaholic
These are by far the most comfortable and allow the best breathing, but you look crazy going in a store with them, so I decided against it. ;) Notice my lockdown buzzcut... have gone back to just buzzing off all my hair like I did when I was a kid since there's no salons open.

QlwsZSR.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the fun mask my buddy's wife made. Should be more comfy for wearing at my customer's house tomorrow.

EwcL8Jd.jpg
[/IMG]

These are by far the most comfortable and allow the best breathing, but you look crazy going in a store with them ......

Nope! Not crazy by a long-shot. If you want to see some crazy, watch this. -

Be warned, the video makes a hard right turn toward the political. Don't watch after the crazy masks portion if you're easily melted. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QyrSMfZ6cY&t=0s

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What CPF member said that some reusable grocery bags use the same material as some real protective masks? Well I forgot when going out shopping this day to bring anything to cover the face, then saw our grocery bags in the truck that look like they are made of some kind of Tyvek. Boy, I was barely able to (somewhat) tie the handles behind my head but it worked like a charm; no inhalation or exhalation restriction. Goofy looking? You bet. Beats the tar out of using a mid-height basketball shoe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.