Music to listen to for chill-out sessions.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just me but I don't care for too much new age stuff or too many synthesizer groups but I definitely like Eno, ambient stuff or other.

For jazz, try McCoy Tyner's Soliloquy album (one of his solo piano albums). Miles Davis gets another vote, especially the birth of the cool period. John Coltrane always does it for me, too.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I find that I can chill-out far better to works by Mozart than any "new age" or more 'traditional' chill-out music. I guess I find a beauty in the music that gives it a more serene quality compared to music that is simply easy to listen to.

But I can understand how sometimes Enya and such music can be chill-out in the right situation.

For example, the music they play in the chill-out rooms of some night-clubs in the area sounds fantastic as a break from the noise of the main rooms whilst maintaining the night-club atmosphere. Does that make sense?

I also find sacred music (traditional multi-part choral) such as Darke in F (Mass) to chill me out.

I expect my tastes are strange compared to the majority!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My taste falls closely in line with many of Lurveleven's suggestions. He's posted a bunch of stuff I haven't explored, so I expect this thread may start to get expensive for me, as CPF tends to do from time to time ;). I'd also mention Blue States first album "Nothing Changes Under the Sun" and the Album Leaf's "In a Safe Place" as a couple of my recent favorites in chill electronic based music.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so we now know what's good to listen to while trying to "chill out" but anyone have any good recommendations on what to listen to while trying to concentrate? By concentrate, I particularly mean study for a test or something. If you have ever listened to Ratatat, you would see what I mean as far as them being good to listen to while studying. Their is no real "subject" if you will, in their music. No words, just soft, yet good tempo's. Mostly an electronic sound, from a keyboard or something. Any other suggestions?

Cameron

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
George Winston's December and Autumn are great chill music for me: meditative solo piano that just sounds different to me. Good for making my mind wander and creating my own "internal video". Great in the evening when taken with a glass of wine, preferably in a comfy chair.

dfred

Enlightened
I was browsing Amazon a couple weeks ago and came across an album Milla Jovovich recorded in 1994 called "The Divine Comedy". I was amazed to see it had 4.5 stars with nearly 150 reviews. I was a bit skeptical given the whole model/actress/singer phenomenon, but I needed a small item for free shipping, so for $8 I figured what the hell...

It turns out it is indeed a really good album. Shades of Kate Bush, but a bit less shrill. I'm amazed I've never encountered any references to this recording before. Recommended.

Last edited:

Safety1st

Enlightened
On my CD at the moment is 'TALK TO ME' by The Seahorses..

"Don't you think maybe I should slow down,"

"I've got so many things to say, I had to write 'em down....,"

"I was feeling alone....So i'm on the phone to you..."

Makarov

Enlightened
Minor Majority (A Norwegian band)

I got tinntus after shooting blanks from within a vehicle in a army exercise(stupid stupid!) and I use a record from Minor Majority as background music to drown the ringing when going to sleep.

A good band, really a studio project, but great live as well. They had a concert here in Trondheim last friday, and it was as good as I had hoped :)

dfred

Enlightened
Safety1st said:
"Don't you think maybe I should slow down,"

"I've got so many things to say, I had to write 'em down....,"

"I was feeling alone....So i'm on the phone to you..."

This song isn't about talking on a cellphone and texting while driving, is it? That would hardly be suitable music for a traffic officer!

(Just kidding, but I couldn't resist given the out of context quote and your line of work... :) )

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just discovered 2 bands thanks to XM51, both are Jambands.
Very cool stuff and enjoy just sitting back listening to live versions of it as its mostly all improvised as they play.

-"Steve Kimock Band", and
-"moe."

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I'll second Phillip Glass, and add Steve Reich, too.

If you are looking for music similar to what you like, try pandora.com for ideas. I've been exposed to a lot of new stuff there. --Bob

jimbofish

Newly Enlightened
Not recognizing most of the artists in some of these lists make me realize how out of it I am (read 'old'). And this from someone with almost 1300 records, tapes, and CDs played on more stereo gear than I care to admit.