New Fenix RC40 - 4 Cree XM-L U2 3400 Lumens Flashlight Due Out Next Month

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
And arent they rumored to be sister companies along with FourSevens? That was why 4Sevens.Com used to have links to Fenix and Olight lights for sale, right?

That I don't know.

Olight used to be a sister company to ITP. And looking at 4Sevens lights I would say there is a strong chance that Olight and 4Sevens may be affiliated. But I can't prove that. And I can't answer that about Fenix.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That I don't know.

Olight used to be a sister company to ITP. And looking at 4Sevens lights I would say there is a strong chance that Olight and 4Sevens may be affiliated. But I can't prove that. And I can't answer that about Fenix.

In 2011, David Chow(owner of 4Sevens) also became Chairman of Olight.
I'd say that makes them "affiliated".
Around the same time, Fenix lights were deleted from the 4Sevens website.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
That I don't know.

Olight,4Sevens and ITP are the same comany with David Chow as the chairman. Fenix is is not affiliated with them.

Now this Fenix RC40 has to be the most sought after flashlight of the year!:wow:

I hope that Fenix will show a prototype of the RC40 at the SHOT show 2013 in Las Vegas in Januari 15-18 and further tell us more details. I especially like that the RC40 has built in rechargeable batteries so that one does not has to dissamble each battery separately to recharge them:thumbsup:. With 6*18650 batteries built in it´s probably going to have a good burntime as well.

I think that this info was not supose to be available public until after the SHOT show:sssh:,so i think that´s why Fenix asks about where this info came from. Maybe it´s flashileaks?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mixed feelings about these bigger lights.
I like the awesome output and throw, but they are all too big/fat to carry around with me.
So, it's okay for the house, or maybe it might fit in the glove box in the car.

The short fat "soup can" is just as problematic for carry as the longer "broom handle".
I can't ever see myself carrying even the smallest of these in real life. Once the power level gets to a certain point that needs all these batteries, it's too big, IMO.

I like the attempts to try to bring the size down, but it's not really getting there.
Whether it be a 6330, TM11 or a TM15, or even a TK75. Once it gets that big, it really doesn't matter anymore if it "tried to be small".
So, I would be inclined to go for the gusto, and just get a really big powerful one, if I have to keep it on a shelf or in the trunk anyway.

Last edited:

Beckler

Enlightened
I grow tired of saying this, but for these new high-powered lights, how is just 4 levels enough for 3400 lumens?! Depends on your application I guess, but there are so many possibilities to improve the interface. Why not have two selectable 'global' modes? One might have 4 levels, the other 10. You can choose which you want.

BTW is it just me or is there some serious disconnect between the current flashlight makers and needs of actual users, as far as UI goes? It seems they're just trying a myriad of random, generally ridiculous interfaces, none of which are actually suitable for *efficient* use.

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
What great news!! I thought I had the best of the Fenix lights with the TK70 and the TK75 but it looks like I will have to save up some more money!!!

TK75TK70011.jpg

RCTPAVUK

Newly Enlightened
batteries should be 2600mah put together to get 7.4V i guess...
7800\3=2600 mah (typical 18650 for Fenix)
The shape of it should be something new... like a Polarion's tube, but with different size and shape...
I hope they have something longer with 8*18650... 6 looks weird :)
It's just a guess, but i hope they will put some creativity and logical thinking into it...
And i DO hope they will use XM-L2 LEDs...

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
I am just not interested in anything with proprietary battery packs any more. Let me charge and test my cells individually.

Last edited:

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
I wonder about the sense of RC 40 being released so soon after making a splash with TK 75? People just have had enough time to read the reviews on the TK 75 when hit with talk of 3400 lumen flashlight might hold off buying the TK75....

I also noticed that on Facebook, Fenix has not yet confirmed.

kj2

Flashaholic
I wonder about the sense of RC 40 being released so soon after making a splash with TK 75? People just have had enough time to read the reviews on the TK 75 when hit with talk of 3400 lumen flashlight might hold off buying the TK75....

I also noticed that on Facebook, Fenix has not yet confirmed.

That's why I'm thinking the RC40 will come march or even later.