New From Maglite

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
Except, they are made in China

Valid point.

This wouldn't be all bad except for some companies like Nitecore will make you deal with the vendor or ship it to China. It would be more acceptable if these companies at least had some base of operations (and therefore employed American workers) in the US with good local customer support.

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
A friend bought me a Mag- Tac years back I wasn't overly impressed with it. I don't want to knock the company because the first half decent light I got was a Maglite (2 x AA) worked for years no problem. Things have moved on a lot, and they were caught sleeping. In fact I'd say they were in a complete coma..lots of makers came out and took the market away from them. It's nice to have a native company in your country..but we want a good product. It is a well known brand but they've been outclassed for years. I'd wonder who is running the show because they're not even really trying. Sad to see. LiFe PO4 are they serious when everyone else is using normal voltage lithium

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the company that ryhmes with val troff or pure tire made it there'd be praise galore. Maglite does it out come the tomatoes.

Lighten up folks. Maglite is Maglite and they always will be.

I find it pretty funny how a large swath of folks in this thread are completely glossing over exactly who Maglite's target audience actually is...without a doubt, it certainly isn't those who would purchase a Zebralight.

tom-

Enlightened
The output is a misprint-it should read a 'stunning' 10,000 lumens; right?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no Maglite forum anywhere dedicated to them, much less a thread. There is for Zebralight.
When Maglite makes a 1xAAA that is not a foot long and very difficult to EDC let us know.
Much less 1xAA they don't even know what it is.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite has been actively researching advanced technology, including the use of outside engineers. Many of us here on candlepowerforums are not their main target sector, and like an enormous cruise ship, takes time to adjust course. Legitamate criticism should be welcome, though I wonder if Maglite listens to CPF like numerous other manufacturers and vendors.

If they are embracing a certain battery chemistry, that battery must be ready for the masses, for the most part. And anyone wanting an American made clobber-torch is well served with a Maglite, wouldn't you say?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I find it pretty funny how a large swath of folks in this thread are completely glossing over exactly who Maglite's target audience actually is...without a doubt, it certainly isn't those who would purchase a Zebralight.

Maglite has been actively researching advanced technology, including the use of outside engineers. Many of us here on candlepowerforums are not their main target sector, and like an enormous cruise ship, takes time to adjust course. Legitamate criticism should be welcome, though I wonder if Maglite listens to CPF like numerous other manufacturers and vendors.

If they are embracing a certain battery chemistry, that battery must be ready for the masses, for the most part. And anyone wanting an American made clobber-torch is well served with a Maglite, wouldn't you say?

Yup,

Millions of lights sold, millions of repeat customers, tens of thousands (or more) 10, 15, 20, 25+ year old ones still being used daily....
Yet 12 people at a flash light forum are bothered that Tony doesn't drop in for a chat on what they think Maglite should produce to make them happy?
Hmmmmm hold your breath fellas... lets see how many shades of blue one's face can turn before suddenly gasping for air.

Something tells me it's going to be a good seller despite what us CPF'rs think about it.....
If they used the same shape reflector as the ML25's this ones going to have big CD numbers despite it only being a paultry 1000 lumens. The numbers watchers yawned but millions of those maxi-mini-mags sold anyway. Why? Because it's a well made, well designed, durable American made flashlight being sold at a good price at local stores where people buy light bulbs, nails, other typical items in the American households.

Dun

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output is a misprint-it should read a 'stunning' 10,000 lumens; right?
If it was Made in XXXXX they would claim 12,000

Low output; low run times, what else is new?
Low cost, high quality, dependable, good customer service and excellent design for an American made rechargeable flashlight.
Keep in mind, their prices for older design light (which is made today) is still same as 35 years ago. Any other company can do that?

KITROBASKIN said:
I wonder if Maglite listens to CPF like numerous other manufacturers and vendors.
No, they don't because they don't need. They have millions of loyal customers all over the world which will buy M*glite. Why this company must be after few hundred flashaholics?

kj2 said:
Great to see Mag finally achieve 1000 lumens.
Which is more than enough for carpenters or plumbers who use M*glites. They never heard of Zebra or Ace. They don't need 12,000 lumens when they work under sink.

berryns

Newly Enlightened
It's good to see that Maglite is trying to bring advanced lights into their lineup. Does anyone have an idea of MSRP ?

I think that the Maglite thrashing on CPF is uncalled for; Maglite simply makes usable lights for the masses.

Some of my Mags are nearly twenty-five years old and they work every time I need light. Mostly, I use them around the house or to augment my Surefire / Malkoff bike light on night rides. Additionally, some of my Maglites have sentimental value such as my 4D that belonged to my late Grandfather and my two AAA Mags that my Father gifted to me when I was a child.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. They are not enthusiast lights, they are reliable, affordable, made in the US and provide enough output for those who need and buy them.

I'd buy this new charger model(and the 625 lumen D models) over the latest and greatest Chinese lights, since most of my use hovers around 100 lumens anyway.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Its inevitable that if a new thread comes along about any flashlight and the advertising presents it in a way that appears revolutionary, as the case here, that people in the know would say that there are other flashlights around that can do more.

I don't think that's Maglite knocking. Just trying to point out to other members on this forum (maybe newbies) that there are other options out there with better specs, albeit more expensive, albeit made in countries other than the USA.

We're not saying that Maglites shouldn't be purchased by people who would rather spend less on a reliable and proven US model.

Should we be censored for pointing out that by spending more money, people might find other flashlights that are more powerful though?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people see Mag-lite as a tool or a needed appliance they can go to the local store and purchase. That is the market. The other lights on the shelf of that same store are the competition. When I look at the competitions from even a rookie flashaholic point of view at the local store, the iGlow, "Police Security" and other very cheesy looking made in china lights or even the full plastic offerings of Energizer for that matter, Mag-lite is head and shoulders above everything else. People trust Mag-lite on site due the shape and know it is made in USA. There is something to be said for making a product that most have held in our younger years still available on the shelf.

We here at CPF are in the very small majority of those who want things above and beyond that with tint, CRI, battery options etc. In essence we are the boutique light purchasers.

parametrek

Enlightened
This isn't Maglite's first li-ion powered light with a charging cradle. That was the Mag-Tac Charger. It also used LiFePO4 and was introduced in January 2015. So they have 2.5 years of experience with LiFePO4 now. If I had to hazard a guess, they are using LiFePO4 for its safety and low risk.

This however is their first light to break 1000 lumens. Here's hoping that it is flatly regulated without any stepdowns :)

Burgess

Flashaholic
First, let me say that I've always had
a soft spot in my heart for Maglite.

I EDC-carried a Mini-Maglite (2xAA) for Decades !
Truly changed and improved my life !
(thread is here somewhere on CPF)

But * THIS * line in their press release
really caught my eye . . . .

Mag Instrument, Inc., the world leader in flashlight technology

:whistle:
_

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this was an April Fools joke just a bit late. WOW, 1000 Blazing Lumens and Patent of a new technology - heat sinking an LED. Same charging cradle they used 20-30 years ago. Gotta say - I'm really impressed.........................

Most buyers of maglites buy them to use. 1000 lumens is perfectly adequate for real world use, and sounds like it has multiple output level too.

And what's wrong with a familiar set up that its intended users are used to?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to see Mag finally achieve 1000 lumens. But it's still heavy, long and IPX4..

• Size (L): 27 cm
  • Weight: 439 gr

an 11 inch long light that weights about one lb is too heavy?

I think it's about the right size for a light that people working with it can use it with thick gloves.

When Maglite makes a 1xAAA that is not a foot long and very difficult to EDC let us know.

I don't even know what this means...

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no Maglite forum anywhere dedicated to them, much less a thread. There is for Zebralight.

The Maglite Solitaire LED is quite nice & only 3.125" long.

Do you exagerate much? : )

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a use for lumen chasing. A one thousand lumen flashlight is well beyond adequate for my purposes. I'm still looking for a price point, though. Anyone seen it? I'd also like to know exactly how the new heat sinking technology works.

Never been a fan of on-board battery charging. That's the reason for the IPX4 limitation.