New From Maglite

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grr just got the basic 643l magcharger... looks like this thing will be brighter and smaller. Looking for it on their site... i didn't even know about the ml125 rechargeable. Nice. And I don't worry too much about waterproof ratings after my solitaire survived the washing machine. I don't think it was supposed to do that, but guess they're generally good enough for my purposes anyway.

Well I've just spotted one fly in the ointment, fortunately its nothing to do with the actual torch.

tom-

Enlightened
Why are -we- only able to make high priced model T flashlights?

wjv

Enlightened
Wow! Time to sell my Olight SR52UT and SR MINI Intimidator II. . . . . .

:crackup:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I'm a little surprised by all the hate toward the LiFePO4 chemistry. It's downright rock solid and tough as it gets. Yes, that light is a bit on the large side, but I'm guessing the big draw will be running 1000 lumens without a step down happening anytime soon. Depending upon price, that's actually pretty impressive. Holding 1000 real lumens for extended use isn't easy.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some will always scoff at Maglite.

This one on paper looks to be a pretty good flashlight. After acquiring some of their new stuff from 016 I have no doubt this one will be a winner as well.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Holding 1000 Lumens for an extended period of time in a light that size is a piece of cake for any mfg'r. True, the use of LiFeP04 cells is as good as it gets, I'll give them that.

zerodish

Newly Enlightened
INTEC ILIF 3006526 ESR1EE8402 6.4 V 3.0 AH With 2cells it should work in pure buck mode. The old rechareable had 5 NiCd cells which also worked in pure buck mode but that never gave the performance I would have expected and I didn't get one. I much prefer Lithium iron phosphate they are safer.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I've never had a use for lumen chasing. A one thousand lumen flashlight is well beyond adequate for my purposes. I'm still looking for a price point, though. Anyone seen it? I'd also like to know exactly how the new heat sinking technology works.

Never been a fan of on-board battery charging. That's the reason for the IPX4 limitation.

The maglite ml 150 is retailing for $120 on ebay and now OpticsPlanet and B&H. It will probably drop to around $99 in a month. The magcharger led is around $75 on a few sites.

I think the IPX 4 is maglite being careful not to have customers void the warranty. I've also heard a lot of these ipx8 lights are not dive rated and it's up to themanufcturer to conduct their own tests. I've submerged many maglites with no issue what so ever.

Last edited:

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
In reality most people will get plenty of use from 100 lumens. 1000 lumens from a reliable brand like Maglite is going to impress the average user. 10000 lumen lights are fun to use but plumbers and electricians aren't going to need that sort of lighting. Maglite gets the job done for them.

I don't know of any police officer with an Acebeam K70 in their bag but I know plenty that keep a Maglite. The form factor of the K70 and Coke can lights doesn't make them suitable for belt carry. The Maglite can easily be slipped into a belt ring. The Maglite can hit car windows and other things without getting damaged. It can drop on the ground and roll around without too much drama. The Maglite can easily have the batteries swap out or just live in the car charger.

People that drive a Toyota Hilux would have been happy to see technology introduced that could once only be found in a BMW or Mercedes-AMG. To quote Yahtzee Croshaw:

'See, that's the trouble with the cutting edge: it's hard to stay on, 'cause it's very thin and it keeps moving'

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
The maglite ml 150 is retailing for $120 on ebay and now OpticsPlanet and B&H. It will probably drop to around $99 in a month. The magcharger led is around $75 on a few sites.

I think the IPX 4 is maglite being careful not to have customers void the warranty. I've also heard a lot of these ipx8 lights are not dive rated and it's up to themanufcturer to conduct their own tests. I've submerged many maglites with no issue what so ever.

Why is the ML150LR only available on a few select places and not the main Mag site, despite being released over a year ago?
Is that Mag releasing a few to the public, slowly, to get feedback as far as how they're holding up? Guinea Pigs, to be blunt?

And I agree with Mag keeping the IPX4 ratting to cover their butts. In Boy Scouts(Late 90's) my AA MiniMag took many a night swim in the pool or river with no leakage.
That being said, Mag has upgraded the ratings on the LED Solitaire and the AAA MiniMag to IPX7.

Has anyone compared the IPX4 and IPX7 lights side by side to see what changes, if any, were made to get that ratting?

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is the ML125LR only available on a few select places and not the main Mag site, despite being released over a year ago?
Is that Mag releasing a few to the public, slowly, to get feedback as far as how they're holding up? Guinea Pigs, to be blunt?

And I agree with Mag keeping the IPX4 ratting to cover their butts. In Boy Scouts(Late 90's) my AA MiniMag took many a night swim in the pool or river with no leakage.
That being said, Mag has upgraded the ratings on the LED Solitaire and the AAA MiniMag to IPX7.

Has anyone compared the IPX4 and IPX7 lights side by side to see what changes, if any, were made to get that ratting?

Never heard of the ML125LR is it different from the regular ML125?

I don't think that the IPx7 lights are any different, Mag probably had them ANSI tested for that rating instead of the IPx4......seems like they did the same with the 2M drop ratings. And yes, Mag does have their lights ANSI lab tested, unlike many of the others with their phony IPx8 rated lights and fake 1.5M drop ratings (there is no such thing as a 1.5M ANSI rating - they only test in 1M increments).

maglite mike

Enlightened

I don't think that the IPx7 lights are any different, Mag probably had them ANSI tested for that rating instead of the IPx4......seems like they did the same with the 2M drop ratings. And yes, Mag does have their lights ANSI lab tested, unlike many of the others with their phony IPx8 rated lights and fake 1.5M drop ratings (there is no such thing as a 1.5M ANSI rating - they only test in 1M increments).
I think gasganofj60 meant ml150lr not ml125lr. a lot of these lumen claims are also inflated or even if they are the stated lumens the optics don't maximize the lumens. I think the 625 lumen ml 300 looks a lot brighter then it claims.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened

I think gasganofj60 meant ml150lr not ml125lr. a lot of these lumen claims are also inflated or even if they are the stated lumens the optics don't maximize the lumens. I think the 625 lumen ml 300 looks a lot brighter then it claims.

Yes, that is a typo on my part. Sorry. Will edit asap.
Ive always just assumed Mag kept the ratting low to cover their butts. All of my Mags have had countless hard falls from higher than 1m with no issues aside from cosmetic. Perhaps pressure from the market has led them to up the testing...?

Last edited: