New Maglite 2C ML25LT

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running a single NiMH in the old 2C is not as bright as with 2 cells on high, but is brighter than low mode on the 2 speed 2C. I have no way to measure lumens accurately. With a single Tenavolt I got 1 hr of run time.

I like Tenavolts for testing lights like these, because unlike alkalines (and even Li-ions and NiMH's to a small extent) that will taper off in Voltage and current, Tenavolts put out constant Voltage and current until they are dead. While the smaller AA size Tenavolts can't compare with 18650s and such, they do have slightly higher Watt hrs than standard Eneloops and usually give a bit longer run time.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that crazy the tenavolts maintain their voltage until depleted. Must have something to do with it being a normal 4.2v li-ion that's regulated to 1.5v.

I could use a variety of sizes of a tenavolt.

Edit: before I started feeling under the weather today, i started to get current draw data. I didn't have it on the light meter but i found some interesting things. It may have to do with the stepdown you mentioned.

Around 4.15v-4.2v it started around 700ma, around 30 seconds in (not timed) the draw raised a bit then steadily started dropping. It took several minutes and didn't really level out. One reading got down to around 430ma.

I didn't really notice a drop in output, just draw. I'll work on it more tomorrow. I have a few ranges i want to check from 3v to 4.2v.

I also almost got it up to 5v today, kind of on accident. I was playing with the voltage to try and get a quicker reading, but it doesn't work like that on this light. Anyway, i almost bumped it to 5v. I'm thinking it might be safe to 6v, but I'm not ready to blow it up until my testing is done. Maybe if wallymart had more in stock, but this was the last one

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that crazy the tenavolts maintain their voltage until depleted. Must have something to do with it being a normal 4.2v li-ion that's regulated to 1.5v.

I could use a variety of sizes of a tenavolt.

Edit: before I started feeling under the weather today, i started to get current draw data. I didn't have it on the light meter but i found some interesting things. It may have to do with the stepdown you mentioned.

Around 4.15v-4.2v it started around 700ma, around 30 seconds in (not timed) the draw raised a bit then steadily started dropping. It took several minutes and didn't really level out. One reading got down to around 430ma.

I didn't really notice a drop in output, just draw. I'll work on it more tomorrow. I have a few ranges i want to check from 3v to 4.2v.

I also almost got it up to 5v today, kind of on accident. I was playing with the voltage to try and get a quicker reading, but it doesn't work like that on this light. Anyway, i almost bumped it to 5v. I'm thinking it might be safe to 6v, but I'm not ready to blow it up until my testing is done. Maybe if wallymart had more in stock, but this was the last one

Don't know how they will hold up over time in terms of performance/safety/reliability etc, but so far I am impressed with the technology Tenevolts is using....I could see this taking over a good part of the NiMH market if there are not too many problems that crop up.

Most LED Mags have a timed step down over the first hour that levels off around 75-30% depending on the light. Robin Wang has a lot of runtime graphs in his Mag reviews over at LED Resources:

http://www.led-resource.com/category/flashlight-reviews/mag-instrument/

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I have seen one complaint about the tenavolts. Certain products can put you in a situation since these show full voltage until the end. Some say they don't work in certain items as well. I think it's a good design. I could use it in my remote start remote as eneloops show dead before they really are dead, because the voltage starts at 1.3ish v.

I didn't see a review of this flashlight. I will check out the reviews a bit later, but thanks for the link.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I have seen one complaint about the tenavolts. Certain products can put you in a situation since these show full voltage until the end. Some say they don't work in certain items as well. I think it's a good design. I could use it in my remote start remote as eneloops show dead before they really are dead, because the voltage starts at 1.3ish v.

I didn't see a review of this flashlight. I will check out the reviews a bit later, but thanks for the link.

Tenavolts will not work with battery fuel gages because of their constant Voltage and they need a proprietary charger (though a very simple 5V USB direct drive one) and the regular price is too high. I will get more if they put them back on sale for 4 for $12.

Unfortunately, it looks like Robin Wang has not posted new reviews on his site in some time – I would love to see his take on the ML25.

sbholliday

Newly Enlightened
How do you switch modes?
Just turn off and on quickly. Printed instructions did not include that info. The online instructions from manufacturer do have the instructions. It reads "Turn flashlight on (by twisting the head) and you have Full (100%) Power Mode. Quickly turn flashlight off and on again to access Power-Conserving (15% Power) Mode."

sbholliday

Newly Enlightened
How do you switch modes?
Just turn off and on quickly. Printed instructions did not include that info. The online instructions from manufacturer do have the instructions. It reads "Turn flashlight on (by twisting the head) and you have Full (100%) Power Mode. Quickly turn flashlight off and on again to access Power-Conserving (15% Power) Mode."

bridgman

Enlightened
These come with printed instructions?
Yep... thin paper, small text, a dozen or so languages, folded up real small and gummed to the cardboard in the place you didn't look :)

I was about to recycle it unopened but a quick peek showed what appeared to be a disassembly diagram. I thought that was pretty neat (and out of character) so I opened it up... unfortunately disassembly was limited to "the tailcap comes off so you can put in batteries, the head comes off so you can candle-stand; all the stuff you people are interested in is in the middle and not for mere mortals to view".

Still, I really like this light. It has a more useful balance of spill and flood than older Maglites IMO.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added one to an order so to qualify for free shipping. Since my total was so close, the shipping fee would have been same price as getting the flashlight. So, it was a no brainer..
The ML25LT turns out to be the most used flashlight in my house. Since then I will add one to each order. For the money you can't beat it. Candle mode is perfect amount of light during rolling blackouts, or power outages.
Switching modes can be done with tailcap too!

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'll admit I hadn't gotten around to getting the updated 2C ML25LT yet.

I went looking for the best price and was stunned to find out that MagLite has the best price I could find, on-line.

Then I noticed they have a First Responders discount, with ID.me, which was really nice.

I can't say that I ever remember finding the best price on anything from a manufacturer's web site before.

I ended up getting a couple of ML50LX's also, due to the price/discount.

Certainly not as good as some of the prices listed here, a couple of years ago, but the best I could find today.

I'm looking forward to trying out the updated version!

Attachments

• 2022-08-01 - MagLite Order.02 .jpg
    2022-08-01 - MagLite Order.02 .jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 66

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, ML offers customers the best prices. Plus getting the 20% off is icing on the cake.
I loaned one of my ML25LT to a neighbor who sent over his wife to ask for a flashlight during last rolling power blackouts. I showed her how to use candle mode, and said keep as long as you need it. That was over 6 months ago. LoL
The husband showed up at my door the other day with it in hand.. He told me his household enjoyed it so much, he forgot, or didn't want, to return it.. Haha!
I suggested for him keeping the flashlight for next power outage. The guy was very gracious. I know he will be watching my house while I'm away, and won't even have to ask.
Yep, for under 20 bucks worth ever penny.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^^
You guys use plain old C alkaleaks in these? Or aa's in converters? Or?
Anything but alkalines for me. Best fuels for the LED ML25's - Protected 21700 in adapter for the dual mode 2C and 3C and 2X NiMH high capacity C cells for the old single mode 2C (this one seems to have a lower operating Voltage than the newer dual mod version and a Li-ion cell might be pushing it a bit).

AA L91's are great for long term storage/extremes in temperatures and they will run at least as long as alkaline C's on high for about the same price.

AA Eneloops and protected 18650's are also a good option. Alkalines are best left as a last resort when nothing better is available.

OQ8DkS9.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have Imedions in a couple, eneloops in a couple and C cells in a couple. My most used is a gen 2 with eneloops and a glass lens. The IT versions have 18500's with a 4 cell bulb and 18650's using a TL3 bulb.
39D0732E-2370-4948-8BF1-9AA29795302D.jpeg

This eneloop fed gen 2 has a borofloat lens and a wrist strap added. I polished it to look like stainless steel.

Is there a 2 mode 3 cell yet xx?

bridgman

Enlightened
You guys use plain old C alkaleaks in these? Or aa's in converters? Or?

Currently using NiMH C cells and will probably keep doing that for lights where I might need a long runtime without the ability to change cells. I don't have many of those, but right now the ML25LT is one of them.

Thinking about picking up some AA->C and AA->D converters but would mostly use those for lights that stayed closer to home.

EDIT - thinking about that some more, I guess one could make a good argument for using AA->C adapters with L91 lithium cells, but my thinking is that having one light with lithium primaries (SF G2X Pro with CR123's) and one light with NiMH rechargeables (this one) is the best way to go, assuming that for day-to-day use I go with the rechargeable light and top the cells up from time to time.

fuel.jpeg

The Panasonic/Eneloop AA->D adapter encloses the AA cell... wondering if that would help to limit the impact of leaks ? If so then that might give me a chance to work through all the AA alkalines I accumulated over the years, although it would be limited to low-current applications.

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
I use white eneloops in 1st gen ML 25lt and black eneloops in 1st gen ML 50L. If I needed more runtime I would implore "XXO" to make me a 21700 adapter for it. That has to be the ultimate.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
that glass breaker looks cool. should work on a ML50 as well?

Good to see that aftermarket accessories are being made for the newer Mags.