New Titanium Fenix

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I received an initial email from Battery Junction saying they were placed on back order and that I could edit my order or if I could wait there was no need to respond and it would ship when the new order arrived in 4-6 businees days.

Last edited:

nul

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these a couple of days ago. It's a nice light for sure.

I like the fact that it starts up in medium mode. Which is likely what most of my usage will be.

It is easy to use as well. Turns on and off with one hand. I'm not as happy with the nitecore ez123 which is near impossible to get into high mode with one hand.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody beside me used the RCR's in the Fenix PD10 Titanium?.... and do you only have bright mode?

I have tried an RCR and you're correct, only one bright mode. I feel that's been the downside of all Fenix single CR123 lights. That's what is great about the Quark lights, different light levels with RCRs.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried an RCR and you're correct, only one bright mode. I feel that's been the downside of all Fenix single CR123 lights. That's what is great about the Quark lights, different light levels with RCRs.

Dang, I was hoping mine was defective... thats the only thing the keeps this light from being near perfect!

OH well.. if it was perfect, I wouldn't have an excuse to upgrade! :twothumbs

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the reason I switched from my P1D (with Leef Body) to a Quark. What is so hard about providing a driver that can properly handle the RCR voltage! I really prefer the Fenix UI starting on medium.

I agree... for a top on the line expensive light.... why does the 39.00 Mini have better circuitry than the Ti?

I"m not so concerned about starting in medium as much as I have having a place to go if things start heating up.... now I have to just turn it off. :(

Thats the fly in the ointment.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I got mine over the holidays, very nice little light. I'm using a black AW RCR123 and it is easily 200 lumens. Quite bright with a nice tight beam a bit of spill. Very nice color, on the warm side, 5700 I'd say.

Running it for extended times on high (10+ minutes) it doesn't even start to get warm.

Marc

carrot

Flashaholic
I agree... for a top on the line expensive light.... why does the 39.00 Mini have better circuitry than the Ti?

I"m not so concerned about starting in medium as much as I have having a place to go if things start heating up.... now I have to just turn it off. :(

Because Fenix is lazy.

I wish Fenix would get off their butts and start playing catch-up.

phips

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one yesterday from fenix-led.com.
4sevens would have been nicer but it seems like stock is running out.

What a nice replacement for my P1D Q5 :party:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
... there's more of it in Earth's crust than iron, interestingly.

Er...no there isn't. By an order of magnitude in fact - there is more Iron in the Earth's crust.

In Kg/Kg

Fe ( Iron ) 5.63×10−2 or 0.0563
Ti ( Titanium ) 5.65×10−3 or 0.00565.

Iron is the Fourth most abundant element in the Earth's crust, Titanium is the ninth.

But...cool light and I've asked for one for my Birthday - seeing as no one gave me any lights for Christmas. :mecry:

As for what Titanium is good for... ( GarageBoy!!! ...shakes fist...) as easilyled said - marine environments - propeller shafts etc - very resistant to saltwater corrosion. Stronger but lighter than steel. Human implants - all the hip joints my brother repairs his patients with are titanium based. Temperature resistant engine parts. Paints, drill bits, bicycles, golf clubs, watches, laptops, ...torches!

Oh, it's also the only element to burn in pure Nitrogen...must have a use.

"I'm a big fan of science, you know..." - Slartibartfast. HHGTTG.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Oh, it's also the only element to burn in pure Nitrogen...must have a use.

"I'm a big fan of science, you know..." - Slartibartfast. HHGTTG.

Thats why we use TSPs (titanium sublimation pumps) in UHV applications. Monoatomar Ti will chemisorb just about everything :)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew there had to be a use!!!!!

:twothumbs

Even if I did have to look up some of your answer...

TSP's are cool too.

Gotta love those regurgitating ion pumps too.

Thanks IMSabbel

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took mine on a hike last night. I'm getting really attached to the low setting. It seems to be the perfect beam pattern and brightness for hiking. I'd put it at around 12 lumens, not the listed 7. It's just a little dimmer than my L1T version 2.0 on low. The wide flood lights up the width of the trail pointing the light down just in front of my feet, and spreads out at a distance. The hotspot has an outer part that is a little dimmer (than the middle part of the hotspot) that lights up more area at midrange and the brighter, inner part of the hotspot is good for longer range throw. On low, this light effectively lights up the whole trail width and I can still see a good 50 feet ahead. Many high powered lights have beams that seem to get narrower on low settings, giving you tunnel vision and not letting you see enough of the trail. Most flood lights that are lower powered use 5 mm l.e.d.s that tend to be bluish. This new Fenix gives a wide beam of flood light with some throw on low while having a white beam. On low, the thermal problems associated with titanium aren't an issue. If this thing runs the full 65 hours on low, it could last me a good 3 weeks backpacking on one battery if I only use low (3 hours per night).

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Because the Fenix does primaries wayy better than anyone else
The only solution? Two circuit options