Olight S1A. A one click wonder! 600 lumen AA flashlight.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
man the magnets on the S1 and S1A are powerful as heck. Ive actually been in the shed at night only to have the light yanked out of my hand onto a shovel behind me lol I love it. Had to re read the manual to get everything down again. 9 minute timer on. Long press to moonlight got it. Double tap for turbo from off finally got that. Triple click strobe all right. How small these things are and what they can do still blows my mind. Just ordered a titanium NW S1 thanks to a tip from ZMZ67 and am greatly looking forward to it. I am betting there will be exotic metal NW S1A's in less than 90 days.

tops2

Enlightened
there are so many baton flashlights.

havent counted, how many of them are powered by AA

:D
I remember first joining CPF and looking at all the Olight deals during the last Christmas break and being overwhelmed by the number of choices. S1, S10, S10R, S15, S15R, S20, S"etc"...hahaha.. And I probably missed it, but back then I don't remember seeing a "product selection guide" so there was a lot of opening multiple browser and flipping back and forth and getting confused. I guess it woulda been faster to ask in the recommendation thread! :whistle:
lol

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
man the magnets on the S1 and S1A are powerful as heck. Ive actually been in the shed at night only to have the light yanked out of my hand onto a shovel behind me lol I love it. Had to re read the manual to get everything down again. 9 minute timer on. Long press to moonlight got it. Double tap for turbo from off finally got that. Triple click strobe all right. How small these things are and what they can do still blows my mind. Just ordered a titanium NW S1 thanks to a tip from ZMZ67 and am greatly looking forward to it. I am betting there will be exotic metal NW S1A's in less than 90 days.

I ended up removing the magnet from my EDC S1, another nice option with the S1.Glad you were able to order the titanium hope it meets your expectations.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
600 lumens on lithium ion is no longer so amazing though I will forever be amazed. The performance on 1XAA is good but nothing game changing.

• High - 220 Lumens → 100 Lumens - 1 Hour 40 Min. → 10 Minutes
  • Medium - 50 Lumens - 6 Hours 30 Min.
  • Low - 5 Lumens - 60 Hours
  • Ultralow - 0.5 Lumens - 15 Days

Fenix HL50 which was made over a year ago.

• Ni-MH AA Battery
    • Low: 3 Lumens (110 hours)
    • Mid: 55 Lumens (6 hours 20 min.)
    • High: 150 Lumens (2 hours)
    • Burst: 285 Lumens

Still it's just amazing on all counts what they can get from a single 1XAA or how much can be pushed out of a Lithium ion battery in such small lights though on burst, thermo regulated, step down etc etc ec. That was a nice video. Gave it thumbs up on Youtube.

Last edited:

PDXBG1521

Newly Enlightened
I had the S1 Baton and loved it except that it was too small. (lost it last weekend :( )I also have the S25 and I do like that size better, so with this new iteration I am sold and will be getting it. ALso, the issue of how uncommon C123 batteries has to be considered, AA's all the way

olemil

Newly Enlightened
@ OP, thanks for the great video review, in fact it was so good I ordered one of these last night....LOL. Wonder how my Eneloop Pro's will work in it? Gonna order some 14500's for it after I use it for awhile to see how well I like it. Thanks again for the video!!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what it would take to make this a 1000 lumen OTF light...hmmm wonder if VOB has thought about that...

irongate

Enlightened
Take it back around to the original topic please.

And jon_slider... if you are so offended by vob's sigline, I would suggest that perhaps this forum is not for you and you may want to go search for another more to your liking. While the discussion of religion (or lack thereof) is not something that is encouraged or even welcome on CPF proper, it is more than welcome in The Underground. Please feel free to express your opinions there. Siglines are the only exception to this unspoken (but widely understood, acknowledged, and appreciated) rule. In this case... unfortunately for you... YOU are the one who is out of line with your comment. I will thank you in advance for your future cooperation with our rules... which have been around for a good decade longer than you have been here.

Back on topic gentlemen... and have a lovely day! :grin2:

Thank You for being very polite on this.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gave it thumbs up on Youtube.

Thank you. I really appreciate that (as well as the comments here) it helps me out... More love on these videos= More to come :)

I wonder what it would take to make this a 1000 lumen OTF light...hmmm wonder if VOB has thought about that...

It would take a $50 dollar light into the $150 dollar range lol :) I would imagine that one of RMMs 10mm FET drivers could fit in there along with an XPG3 or similar. That would do the trick. That would mean no AA power then though.

I'm not sure if an AA driver can just get the good ol' sense resistor swap for a current boost on while in the 3.7V range. If it can be done my money is on vinhnguyen54 being the guy to pull it off.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow thanks for the reply VOB! I am sure Vinh will do something with such a popular light. His stuff is pretty darn expensive though..

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant wait for my bead blasted/gold titanium 1000 lumen S1A....hey one can dream

Perhaps in the future :) Just for fun I took a peek back at some threads on the original Fenix P1. A 1XCR123 "pocket rocket" with an "amazing" 55 lumens. lol Sounds pretty anemic now but that was only 10 years ago! There has been more advancement in flashlight technology in the last 12 years than the previous 100.Maybe we hit the wall then again we might be laughing 10 years from now that the S1A "only" puts out 600 lumens.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED technology is nowhere near its peak its really still just getting started. 20 years from now almost everything will be LED and lights will be the stuff of science fiction.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED technology is nowhere near its peak its really still just getting started. 20 years from now almost everything will be LED and lights will be the stuff of science fiction.
I'm not so sure about that. We're actually pretty close to peak LED. Phosphor coated white LEDs won't be able to exceed about 300lm/W. AFAIK, Cree has some commercial products that are already 2/3 of the way there.

olemil

Newly Enlightened
OK, I just got the S1A today and been checking it out, wow so small and so bright for a little fellar. Well I am thinking there is a problem with the UI or switch. It will turn on and off single press, no problem. It will cycle through all the brightness levels and modes, no problem. Now the problem, when ever it is in high mode, it will not shut off with a single click of the side switch or change modes holding switch down, I have to unscrew the tail cap and all is good. On any other brightness settings than high, it will turn on and off no problem. I just noticed also sometimes while cycling through the brightness modes it will hang on high and stay there, have to unscrew tail cap to make it work right again. Think I have a funky switch or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help/advise. Update: now I'm really confused..lol. I checked the Olight lithium battery that came with it with my ZTS tester, 100% and voltage is 1.611v. So I thought I would try a standard alkaline and what do you know, it works flawlessly!! Why would it be locking up using the OEM battery and not the alkaline? Guess I'll ride it out for now and see what happens. OK update again. I did have it lock up once using the alkaline battery. Guess I'll email GG and see what they think I should do.

Last edited: