Olight S1A. A one click wonder! 600 lumen AA flashlight.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks abt the switch. Always a risk with these e-switches. Don't have an olight yet, maybe I'll wait....

Olightworld

Enlightened
Hey olemil!

That is extremely unusual! We haven't seen a problem like this at all. Have you contacted GG yet? We can get you a replacement as well if that doesn't work out. Let me know! Thank you.

OK, I just got the S1A today and been checking it out, wow so small and so bright for a little fellar. Well I am thinking there is a problem with the UI or switch. It will turn on and off single press, no problem. It will cycle through all the brightness levels and modes, no problem. Now the problem, when ever it is in high mode, it will not shut off with a single click of the side switch or change modes holding switch down, I have to unscrew the tail cap and all is good. On any other brightness settings than high, it will turn on and off no problem. I just noticed also sometimes while cycling through the brightness modes it will hang on high and stay there, have to unscrew tail cap to make it work right again. Think I have a funky switch or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help/advise. Update: now I'm really confused..lol. I checked the Olight lithium battery that came with it with my ZTS tester, 100% and voltage is 1.611v. So I thought I would try a standard alkaline and what do you know, it works flawlessly!! Why would it be locking up using the OEM battery and not the alkaline? Guess I'll ride it out for now and see what happens. OK update again. I did have it lock up once using the alkaline battery. Guess I'll email GG and see what they think I should do.

olemil

Newly Enlightened
Hey olemil!

That is extremely unusual! We haven't seen a problem like this at all. Have you contacted GG yet? We can get you a replacement as well if that doesn't work out. Let me know! Thank you.

Hello and thank you for your reply. I did send GG a message but haven't heard back from them yet. I imagine they will respond tomorrow with out a doubt. I will keep you posted on their reply and contact you if need be. Other than the glitch, it seems to be a fantastic light for the size and money, I really love my SR52 also. Thank you again for your help. PS, it seems to be doing it every time with the alkaline now.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for an outstanding video review! You cover many topic that are often omitted on YouTube. I learned almost everything I need to know about this flashlight.

Your review compares favorably with most written reviews.

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
According to this review the 60s 600lm turbo mode only works a single time with a freshly charged 14500. Is that normal for the S1A?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, have you tried it in the 2x configuration?

Not yet. I am a big fan of AA lights in general so I may give one a try :)

Thanks for an outstanding video review! You cover many topic that are often omitted on YouTube. I learned almost everything I need to know about this flashlight.

Your review compares favorably with most written reviews.

Thank you so much for letting me know. I have really been trying to dial into what people want to see in a review. Its still pretty new ground for me.

Wendee

Enlightened
Thanks for the great video review, vestureofblood! The S1A seems like a great light!

Would it be possible for you to check if the 600 lumen turbo mode works more than one time without having to recharge the 14500 battery? I'm really hoping the person who wrote the review mentioned in the quote below happened to be using a bad battery or something.
According to this review the 60s 600lm turbo mode only works a single time with a freshly charged 14500. Is that normal for the S1A?

[...]the original Fenix P1. A 1XCR123 "pocket rocket" with an "amazing" 55 lumens. lol Sounds pretty anemic now but that was only 10 years ago! [...]

Wow! Only 10 years ago 55 lumens from a CR123 flashlight was considered amazing? :faint: Thanks for sharing that fun fact, ZMZ67 :)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wendee,

Welcome to CPF. After a period of time my light also drops to around 60 lumens, but it has nothing to do with the charge of the battery in my case. Its either a timer function or a temp sensor. I cant say for sure which one. If you immediately try to run it on turbo again after the drop, it only holds turbo for about 3 seconds. However if you wait a moment you can then return to the turbo mode for a longer duration.

This made me think it was a temp sensor so I tried running it in a pot of cold water.

However this did not extend the turbo time, and did not enable it to go immediately back to turbo either. I suppose its still possible its a temp sensor. I could be on the driver pcb isolated from the body, thus the wait time before turbo return?

In any case I am able to go back to max power many times on the same 14500 cell provided I wait a bit between jumps.

Wendee

Enlightened
[...]In any case I am able to go back to max power many times on the same 14500 cell provided I wait a bit between jumps.

Wow! That was quite the test! Thank you so much for doing that, vestureofblood. :)

I'm so glad that max power can be reached many times on the same 14500 cell without recharging the battery. Maybe the other reviewer didn't wait long enough before trying max output for a second time (or it's his particular flashlight?).

The S1A sounds amazing. I definitely want to buy one. Thanks again!

Update: Yikes. I read your reply to quickly. "drops to around 60 lumens" I was thinking "drops after 60 seconds" (which it's supposed to do, I believe). So it drops to 60 lumens regardless of the battery voltage? That's strange. :thinking:

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
OK, I just got the S1A today and been checking it out, wow so small and so bright for a little fellar. Well I am thinking there is a problem with the UI or switch. It will turn on and off single press, no problem. It will cycle through all the brightness levels and modes, no problem. Now the problem, when ever it is in high mode, it will not shut off with a single click of the side switch or change modes holding switch down, I have to unscrew the tail cap and all is good. On any other brightness settings than high, it will turn on and off no problem. I just noticed also sometimes while cycling through the brightness modes it will hang on high and stay there, have to unscrew tail cap to make it work right again. Think I have a funky switch or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help/advise. Update: now I'm really confused..lol. I checked the Olight lithium battery that came with it with my ZTS tester, 100% and voltage is 1.611v. So I thought I would try a standard alkaline and what do you know, it works flawlessly!! Why would it be locking up using the OEM battery and not the alkaline? Guess I'll ride it out for now and see what happens. OK update again. I did have it lock up once using the alkaline battery. Guess I'll email GG and see what they think I should do.
The alkaline has a lower initial voltage than the lithium primary initially perhaps that is the problem.

Last edited:

copfish

Newly Enlightened
Nice review! I'm a big fan of the single AA lights. I need to play more with my S15 in Ti.

Toby

Newly Enlightened
The S1A banner at the top of CPF says that runtime beyond expactation. Has anyone really test it yet? I really want to see the test data.

Fonly

Newly Enlightened
Ive used mine constantly for the last few days, has been running solidly. Decided to run cheap aa's just to see its use with them. Couldnt be more impressed with it.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: Yikes. I read your reply to quickly. "drops to around 60 lumens" I was thinking "drops after 60 seconds" (which it's supposed to do, I believe). So it drops to 60 lumens regardless of the battery voltage? That's strange. :thinking:

I thought so too, but IIRC I got like 58.9 lumens after the drop. I would assume what they are trying to do is let the light cool? Dropping to only 300ish might not do the job. Only speculation though.

Wendee

Enlightened
I thought so too, but IIRC I got like 58.9 lumens after the drop. I would assume what they are trying to do is let the light cool? Dropping to only 300ish might not do the job. Only speculation though.

Oh boy, that's a shame.
600 lumens for one minute then 300 lumens for one hour sounded great. 600 lumens for one minute then 60 lumens for however long it takes for the light to cool down, is disappointing. :(

I was watching for this light to show up on Amazon.ca but now I'm not sure what I'll do. Decisions, decisions. Thanks a bunch for the review and for doing the tests. :)

Latest posts