Olight S1A. A one click wonder! 600 lumen AA flashlight.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
my S1A works perfectly. I dont even notice the drop off from 600 lumens. Using new 840mah Keeppower 14500's. Where are all the special editions of this light? Would love bead blasted titanium with gold...

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
my S1A works perfectly. I dont even notice the drop off from 600 lumens. Using new 840mah Keeppower 14500's. Where are all the special editions of this light? Would love bead blasted titanium with gold...

Hi. Is the Keeppower you have a tight/snug fit? I've read a couple of accounts of other Keeppowers not fitting. I'm in the UK and decent li-ions are very limited in supply if you don't want to wait a month for them. Expensive too, so don't want the hassle or extra expense of having to post them back! I can get the Olight 750mah too but the review I have seen of those wasn't exactly glowing.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES. The 840mah Keeppowers are a very tight fit! At first they would not fit at all. I used Nitecore 750mah cell for about a week witch made the spring develop some give. NOW the Keeppowers fit and power the light extremely well. Orbtronic also makes their version of the 840mah cell they list theirs at 52.9mm long I bought 4 of the 840mah Keeppowers all 4 measured out to an extremely long(for a protected 14500)55mm each.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
YES. The 840mah Keeppowers are a very tight fit! At first they would not fit at all. I used Nitecore 750mah cell for about a week witch made the spring develop some give. NOW the Keeppowers fit and power the light extremely well. Orbtronic also makes their version of the 840mah cell they list theirs at 52.9mm long I bought 4 of the 840mah Keeppowers all 4 measured out to an extremely long(for a protected 14500)55mm each.

Glad I asked! Sadly I can't find any Orbtronic 14500's listed I can get from the UK. The Keeppower I was looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172045238458?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT seem to be a couple of mm shorter than yours, that then begs the question of are they actually genuine? The ad certainly seemed to be accurate which is why I short-listed it.
My other option is the Xtar 14500. They are a full £5 cheaper for 2 too! They certainly appear to be shorter but at 14.3mm width +- they run the risk of being too fat?
Nitecore via Amazon work out at nearly £12 ($16) each!!! I'm simply not paying that for a battery that doesn't seem to be even top of the tree in reviews I've seen.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
They list them at 52.75mm?? Wow. I got mine from illumn so I know they are legit. Illumn lists them much shorter as well but the 4 I received 55mm each. The pair of Nitecore 750mah cells I got one measured 50.5mm the second 52.5mm. I am using a good pair of digital calipers and measured carefully. Keeppower also sells 800mah 14500's your chances of those coming in at advertised specs are much higher. With the 840's I had to work the spring in a bit so it would have more give. Took about a week of running the longer Nitecore cell but the spring developed enough give to allow the 840's to fit. Safest bet are the 750mah Nitecore and Olight cells.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Like I said, Nitecore isn't an option here at £12 each, that's just daft imo.

In the end I messaged the ebay seller.

"I have just grabbed a set of them and measured them in a digital measure, they are both almost bang on 52.67/52.68mm long and pass through a 52.7mm so are no longer than that.
KeepPower do another 14500 battery but that is not the Sanyo cell and is a different manufacturer (DLG), so maybe they are a little longer and that is what others have measured. I did have some of them at one time and they are ok but not as good as these, but these are the Sanyo version and cost nearly an extra 50% more than the other cell version so are noth cheap but they are worth it in the long run."

Hopefully the couple of mm+ less will be a better fit and not put too much pressure long term on the contacts in the head. The S1a is on my keyring and will hopefully be as reliable as the Ultrafire A10 that it replaced? That's been soooo helpful over the last 6/7 years and still works fine now! The S1a is 3 or 4 times brighter tho and significantly smaller. :grin2: I really don't get why many CPF'ers seem to be fixated by nothing bigger than AAA or smaller for an EDC on a keyring tbh. Chuffed to bits with this so far anyway. Zero accidental turn ons so far too. The only minor gripe being that the switch is too smooth meaning it sometimes takes a bit of finding when it's very dark.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Just to update this. My Keeppower 840mah arrived earlier. They fit the S1a great and are definitely not what I would call tight. It's now maintaining turbo for the first time since I've owned it!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using the Olight 14500s in mine, and they work great! I would consider this light damn near perfect for hiking/backpacking!!! Bring this along with two extra AA Energizer Lithium cells and you're good to go! Buy the $3 safety wand and it doubles as a lantern!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure it is just a matter of time before NW S1A's come out in titanium etc. Tried finding a couple of the exclusive NW exotic metal S1's and nobody has them anymore

I'm not sure a 1 AA sized light that outputs 600L would be able to conduct heat away efficiently if the body was made of titanium. I was looking at a chart that ranks metals by their heat conductivity, and titanium is down near the bottom of the list. Its a poor conductor. Its ok for lights of CR123 size that output 200L or so for a minute or two.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I think the reason I was getting that sharp drop to 58 lumen is because of the voltage sag under load on that old cell. Once I put a new one in it was fine.

Did you have a different experience?

I checked the batteries and the positive button is low and not making contact. I folded up a piece of aluminum foil to make contact. Works now.

Latest posts