p1d ce saved me from a cold night out in the bush!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

Flashaholic
jur said:
But it IS bold to drive at 120km'h with a P1d.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's a little bit of an adventure even driving with a flashlight at half that speed, even for a few hundred yards. Skyline_man must be a real trooper. :)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pair of 60W halogen headlights is about 3,000 lumens, and pretty safe for 120km/h.

One Fenix P1D CE on high is a claimed 135 lumens for one hour and you might possibly be able to tie it on pointing in the right direction. The knowledge that if you slow down your batteries won't last for the whole trip would certainly add to the excitement.

How did the truck drivers heading the other way see that the light was coming from a little black torch, especially since you were going so fast? :rolleyes:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the OP's 1st post remind anybody else of the book The World According to Garp?

On another subject, I've heard it's safer not to swerve at high speeds to avoid a deer (125 pounds). Just hit the brakes. If it's a cow (1,200+ pounds) you have to do whatever you have to not to hit it. How much does a kangaroo weigh?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
tostada said:
Cute story!

:lolsign:

Sorry, but I gotta call BS on this one. None of it happened, and you probably don't even own a GTR. If it actually did happen I'm sure the first thing you would've done is gotten a picture of yourself standing in front of the wrecked car holding that Fenix.

If you had time to hit the brakes at all, you also had time to swerve at least a little, but instead you hit the thing head-on. Also, note that you did hit the
it is quite common in australia for people to be barreling along at 120-150kph at night in australia, even though the max speed limit in most places it 110kph
as skyline_man said, at that time of night on a country road you have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding a cop
i believe this story, hitting the roo and smashing both headlights, i have seen it done and the car was still driveable.
australian phone companys love telling us that 98%of the australian population has mobile coverage, this doesnt covert he 2% that live in little country towns, i spent a week travelling between little country towns and had mobile coverage for one night out of a week.
i dont believe the travelling at 120kph by the light of a p1dce though
after hitting one roo, why would you do that speed with a tiny amount of light
when i drive in the country i have my 100w highbeams and a pair of 100w spotlights on the car, i can see probably 500m infront of me and i still sit on 80-100kph

and with the swerving bit, that is the wrong thing to do, especially when braking hard.
most people who are killed by kangaroos brake,swerve and the car winds up badly damaged in the scenery rather than having a little bit of front end damage

Last edited:

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I did a similar thing with a Brinkman Maxfire one night when my alternator catastrophically failed. I continued delivering pizzas until the starter began to crank slowly, then used my manager's car for the rest of the night. On the way home (30 minute drive) I first used my million candlepower spotlight until the battery went dead, then I pulled out the maxfire. I felt comfortable doing about 40 mph (about 60 kph) on a dark country road with no streetlights.

No kangaroos though. Sorry. The moral of the story is, when your alternator light comes on, you need to take care of it. Soon. Like before driving at night for any length of time.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'll say it. "BEAMSHOTS!" Someone post a pic of something 50m away on a road or just off the side, lit only by a P1D CE.

Is it possible to do the same speed with just 4.5% of the normal high beam light? Maybe. Is it safe? :crackup: Maybe if you're 17. And drunk.

1 million candlepower spotlight around here is 50W, or up to 1250 "somewhat focussed" lumens. What speed would you have been happy doing with that? And how safe would you call yourself?

carrot

Flashaholic
cerbie said:
Somebody get a spotlight and shine the Carrot signal!
:lolsign:

Great story! Hope the insurance covers your car's damage...

By the way, how do 'roo burgers taste?

ensile

Enlightened
i'm aussie too, when something smashes into your windshield we do say "through the windshield" it's just how we say it tostada...

ensile

Enlightened
well behaved drives sit on 120kmh through the pitch black... i creep to 150kmph if I have my high beams... it's impossible to stop for kangaroo's, australia has so many tree's if you come off you're as good as gone.

skyline_man

Banned
If you had time to hit the brakes at all, you also had time to swerve at least a little, but instead you hit the thing head-on. Also, note that you did hit the brakes in a car with 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS, and a 60-0 stopping distance of 125 ft, so the chances of you hitting something hard enough to go through the windshield are pretty slim.

Sorry but ur wrong on this one. Rule no.1 never ever swerve under hard breaking or when ur doing 130km/h or so. ur reaction time wont be fast enough to correct the steering and ul end up in the sceenery.:thumbsdow

If the kangaroo was actually big enough to destroy both your headlights, I doubt you would've just driven away. First you said it went "through" the windshield, and when that set off everybody's BS detector, you changed your story to "bounced off and cracked" the windshield. There's a massive difference. Nobody accidentally says "a kangaroo went through my windshield" when it bounced off.

Please read my post again carefully. I did not just drove away!! okay so i said that it went through the windshield. But in actual fact it didn't, sorry for the exaggeration.

I said "both headlights," but I should really say, "all four headlights." Destroying the headlights would take a LOT of damage on a Skyline. Skylines have separate low/high beams, and the center of the nose sticks out pretty far while the headlights are angled back more at the sides. So you're talking about a freak accident that broke both low beams and both high beams

I see u have a good knowledge of skylines - but not good enough cos u are assuming that i have an R34, which has a more prominent front grill. I have an R33 and with R33's the front grill does not extend forward as much.
My radiator didn't break cos the intercooler is in front of it. My intercooler was deformed, but luckily was not puntured. I have an aftermarket bar and plate intercooler - much stronger than the factory ones.
And as for all four of my headlights getting smashed? well u see on skylines, they have a set of high beams and a set of normal beam like u said. And the high beams are on the inside (towards grill) whereas the normal beams are on the outside. Now since my car is imported from Japan, the xenon lights are removed and replaced with normal halogens(stupid compliancing laws in Aust). Now being the rebel i normally am, i decided to fit aftermarket xenon lights to my skyline. but instead of fitting the xenons to the normal headlight compartment, i decide to fit them to the highbeam section of my headlights to make my car look cooler at night. And i left the outer section empty. So therefore i only have one set of headlights, not 2.

And then there's the issue of your insurance claim. If you nearly totaled a car which cost around $75,000, you would not even think about driving on. You would immediately get on your cell and call the police. You would wait at the scene and file a report.

duh, i didn't total my car. If it's drivable, than i'm sure it's no where near a right-off!!! Yeah, call the police at 2am in the morning in the middle of nowhere and having to wait 2 hours in the freezing cold for them to get to me? No thanks! Besides, what's the point cos all they'll do when they come is do a report that i've hit a kangaroo (big deal) and curse me for being an idiot and wasting their time!!But what about the insurance claim i hear u say? Well i've got full comprehensive, so it doesn't matter if i ran into a kangaroo, 10 kangaroos or a brick wall - they'll still cover me so long as i pay the excess - which is $1500! So get ur facts straight and think before u mouth off like that!!

And how exactly did you drive using just the flashlight? Were you holding the flashlight out the window? That must've gotten pretty cold on a winter night! If you were shining the light through the windshield,

Once again please read my post carefully before u decide to try and sound smart. Cos u look like an idiot right now. I tied the p1d ce with cable ties to the front of my car!!! Do u want to know what type of cable ties i used and where i tied it as well? Okay just for u, i used 2 black cable ties roughly 10cm long each. Zipped my p1d ce to a protuding metel frame of my car where the front bumper bar used to be attached to. The p1d ce was attached not in the center but on the right side of the car (driver side) so that i could see the dividing lane markings easier. Happy now?
And oh yeah, for those living in Australia who knows what i'm talking about, the road from Adelaide to the Riverland is pretty much dead straight consisting of two lanes. So it aint too hard to be doing 120km/h with a flashlight. You start of slow at first but ur eyes have this amazing ability to adjust to the lower level of light and somehow u gradually feel more comfortable and confident.

Abumustafa

Enlightened
skyline_man said:
To be honest, i was more worried about my car than getting pulled over by the cops. Down here in South Australia it's not like NY, at 2am you'll have more luck winning the lottery than running into a cop :)

Nice ride you got. I love Subaru's as well! One of the best 4 cylinder turbos money can buy. My mate's got one - a 2006. It's his pride and joy cos for a 4 cylinder stock, it just destroys the locally made Holden 5.7 litre v8 Monaro's (I believe they are re badged Pontiac GTO in the US).
Anyway, he's got a bumper sticker on his car that reads, 'milk and juice may come in 2 litres, but cheap wine comes in 5' hahaha...

:naughty: Hmm we talking about cars now yeah the skyline the Scoobie the Evo but my Toyota Supra RX Twin Turbo 600hp will smoke them all :lolsign:

Lucky you werent hurt i heard the kangaroo are serious kick boxers :crackup:

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
DON'T SWERVE!

If we get nothing else out of this story it should be not to swerve. In my area of the US deer are overly abundant and cars frequently hit them. The fatal accidents are usually the ones where the people swerve to avoid hitting the deer (dog, racoon, whatever). Animals are much more forgiving than the trees along the road. I've heard, but can't verify, that deer are the most dangerous animals in the US because of the number of people injured or killed in accidents with them. The kangaroo is probably Australia's equivalent.

skyline_man

Banned
Hmm we talking about cars now yeah the skyline the Scoobie the Evo but my Toyota Supra RX Twin Turbo 600hp will smoke them all

Haha, power is nothing without control....:thumbsdow

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
Skyline you don't have to prove anything to anyone. I'd say believe it or not your choice. Does it matter what some anonymous 'expert" thinks?

skyline_man

Banned
We should put them head to head then on a track!!!

No contest. The supra will get it's *** whipped on a track and in a straight line each and every time! pitting an old school rear wheel drive supra against a state of the art electronically controlled all wheel drive skyline is like pitting a 4D maglight against a Surefire U2.:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts