p1d ce saved me from a cold night out in the bush!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeDiver

Newly Enlightened
75 mph with only a P1D along some of the darkest roads on the planet seems kind of fishy to me too. It's a bright light, but to drive a most likely totalled car that far that fast?

skyline_man

Banned
75 mph with only a P1D along some of the darkest roads on the planet seems kind of fishy to me too. It's a bright light, but to drive a most likely totalled car that far that fast? :thinking:

Yeah i did for most of the remaining trip. Come to think of it, i was pretty stupid at the time. Imagine what would happen if the cracked windscreen gave way under that amount of wind pressure? :grin2:

ensile

Enlightened
can someone close this thread. what benefit would Skyman have in making a story up, if anything it gives users here a great idea if they are ever in the same jam, keep some cable ties in the glovebox. At Least show some respect I bet half of you wouldnt have even thought to tie your beloved torches onto the front of the car for guiding light.

Shove it up your arses you haters, leave the bugger alone. Where'd all the good people go ? i ask this.

creampuff

Newly Enlightened
skyline_man said:
duh, i didn't total my car. If it's drivable, than i'm sure it's no where near a right-off!!! Yeah, call the police at 2am in the morning in the middle of nowhere and having to wait 2 hours in the freezing cold for them to get to me? No thanks!

This is what I appreciate about flashaholics - they are resourceful. They don't wait around for someone to take care of them, they take care of themselves.:rock:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys, come on even a match in pitch black darkness will lead the way.i dont doubt his claims.in pitch black darkness any light will help!
smoke driver, any light will light up the dark,the darker it is" the better" the flashlight will light it up!!

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I still liked the story I guess. Maybe if Skyline_man gets a chance he can post a pic for us?

tostada

Newly Enlightened
skyline_man said:
Please read my post again carefully. I did not just drove away!!

Yeah, I read your post pretty carefully. You did say you just drove away.

So, you're sticking to the story that you hit a kangaroo, it destroyed the entire front end of your car, destroyed both headlights, but did not damage the radiator and the car was still able to hold the road at 75 MPH.

Almost every part of your story is an obvious lie, but I'll try and focus on something you can't talk your way out of.

1) You have no pictures of anything. You've been accused of not even owning a Skyline, which you haven't seen fit to prove. You're such a Skyline fanboy that if you actually had one you'd have posted 50 pics of your car by now with you holding up a big sign that says "eat me, Tostada."

2) If you actually had the money for an R33, I doubt you'd be making threads to rant about what a waste of money SureFires are. To the contrary, you'd probably own ten of them just because ... well, they're what flashlight fanboys own and brag about, and that's obviously the type of guy you are. Judging by your mentality, it is questionable if you are even old enough to drive.

3) You said you were 1 hour into a 3 hour drive. You said that after the wreck, you still completed the rest of the trip in 2 hours. You said you were doing 120 kph (75 mph). The Fenix P1D-CE puts out 109 Lumens on max with a 2700 Lux throw. It does not last two hours on a new battery. Even if it did, it's simply absurd to say that you continued driving the same speed as you did with your car's headlights when you were down to a single light that you were holding in your hand after just wrecking your car, and that light has about 1/10th the throw of a single one of your car's headlights. It will last about 2.5 hours at 58 Lumens with a 1400 Lux throw. Is that how it went? You drove down the highway at full speed with something with about 1/5th the throw of a focused MagLite?

I suppose this is the part where you say, "Well, yeah! I was carrying around a bunch of spare batteries! I just forgot to mention I swapped them out!" Well, if that's the case, and you weren't worried about your batteries dying, then there's just no way you would've continued at the same speed you were going for the first hour of the trip. Did you pull over when you swapped batteries, or did you just keep on going? :)

I guess you're just that good! You're SOOOOO good that you can drive at the same speed with about 1/20th the light!

But ... uhh ... wait a minute. If you can see so well, why didn't you see the kangaroo from 200 ft. and have time to stop completely? Why did this accident even happen? As per your speed (75 MPH) and as per the specs of your car (60-0 stopping in 125 ft.), you could've come to a complete stop in less than 100 yards/meters. So you're telling me that you're such an oblivious and poor driver that you plowed right into a kangaroo on the totally open road with both your headlights functioning going fast enough to destroy the whole front end of your car and crack your windshield, yet after the fact you were still confident enough in your abilities to continue at the same speed with several times less light.

No matter how you look at it, you're an idiot. You're actually an even bigger idiot if you're telling the truth, because plowing into a kangaroo at 75 MPH and then continuing at the same speed with a seriously crippled ability to see anothother kangaroo in your path is just stupid.

lukus

Enlightened
As for breaking both lights. When I was 6 or 7 years old I saw my English Springer get hit by a little British MG in front of my house. The guy slammed on his brakes and skidded straight into him. My dog had several broken ribs and was really sore for a few days. The car had a broken passenger light, a broken grill, and the driver side light had popped out and broken on the street. I would say it's possible. Sure, you could try the car/kangaroo combo 100 times and it might only happen once or twice, but still possible.

My dog was big for an English Springer, about 80 pounds.

lukus

Enlightened
Tostada dude, chill out.

As a stupid teenager I was driving around 2 a.m. one weekend, down a dirt road, 60 miles an hour, down a steep hill with the headlights off with a bunch of friends when I saw something white flash across the road at the bottom of the hill. We started slowing down wondering what it could be when we saw another flash of white. When we turned on the headlights it was a train with mostly rust colored boxcars and a few white/lighter colored ones. People do stupid things and manage to live to tell. Maybe you've always stayed hidden in the basement and never did anything stupid, but most people have had their moments.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
I enjoyed the adventure story. I don't have any problem believing it. I remember I started driving in the 70's with those junk incan sealed beam headlights. I don't think I'm exagerating much to say most Cree lights running on high is easily as bright if not brighter than those.

At night you'd have to stay under about 40 or 50 mph to not overdrive the illumination of those old lights, but who drives that slow on an express way? And high beams can't be used most of the time because they blind oncoming traffic. So whether people knew it or not, most of the time they were overdriving the amount of lighted distance in front of them in those old days. Halogen lights are so much better know we tend to forget how bad car lights were.

I agree about swerving at high speed. Even if you don't hit a tree doing so, you run a high risk of having the car either spin out or spin-and-flip. Those advertisements you see about anti-lock brakng and swerving on TV is done with the car at moderate speed at most--not the kind of speed we're talking about here.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
True story or not, I would think smacking into a big kangroo would send such a shock wave through the front of the car that it could easily blow out both head lights, even if the head lights housings, lenses, etc, weren't damaged. Just the impact shock wave could knock out the filmaments, crack the bulbs, etc.

Also someone said this is one of the darkest roads in the world, or whatever, so I would think this would be about the best place to attempt driving with just a PD1-CE as your light source since you don't have other lights around to screw up your night vision. Your eyes can get very sensative in darkness after awhile and it's certainly possible a PD1-CE could throw enough light to make driving 60MPH possible on a long straight road. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but possible. If you were attempting this around a city at night, or somewhere that had a lot of lights in the distance, etc, and a lot of other traffic, it would be more difficult because your night vision would be screwed up from the surrounding lights, making it harder to see by the light the PD1-CE would be throwing out.

It would be cool to see pics of the damage though.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
tostada said:
Almost every part of your story is an obvious lie, but I'll try and focus on something you can't talk your way out of.
2) If you actually had the money for an R33, I doubt you'd be making threads to rant about what a waste of money SureFires are. To the contrary, you'd probably own ten of them just because ... well, they're what flashlight fanboys own and brag about, and that's obviously the type of guy you are. Judging by your mentality, it is questionable if you are even old enough to drive.

3) You said you were 1 hour into a 3 hour drive. You said that after the wreck, you still completed the rest of the trip in 2 hours. You said you were doing 120 kph (75 mph). The Fenix P1D-CE puts out 109 Lumens on max with a 2700 Lux throw. It does not last two hours on a new battery. Even if it did, it's simply absurd to say that you continued driving the same speed as you did with your car's headlights when you were down to a single light that you were holding in your hand after just wrecking your car, and that light has about 1/10th the throw of a single one of your car's headlights. It will last about 2.5 hours at 58 Lumens with a 1400 Lux throw. Is that how it went? You drove down the highway at full speed with something with about 1/5th the throw of a focused MagLite?

I suppose this is the part where you say, "Well, yeah! I was carrying around a bunch of spare batteries! I just forgot to mention I swapped them out!" Well, if that's the case, and you weren't worried about your batteries dying, then there's just no way you would've continued at the same speed you were going for the first hour of the trip. Did you pull over when you swapped batteries, or did you just keep on going? :)

I guess you're just that good! You're SOOOOO good that you can drive at the same speed with about 1/20th the light!
No matter how you look at it, you're an idiot. You're actually an even bigger idiot if you're telling the truth, because plowing into a kangaroo at 75 MPH and then continuing at the same speed with a seriously crippled ability to see anothother kangaroo in your path is just stupid.
You really do need to read what he wrote (which was unedited when I last checked). He said he had a spare battery, so assuming the one in the torch was fresh he would have had a couple of hours of light with the torch on high. Which means he could have done it if he had continued at high speed. And yes, he did "just drive away", and at high speed too.

BTW, http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=158 says 135 lumens on high.

If it's true, skyline_man, you give even Aussies a bad rep for stupidity. But this is an entertaining thread. :)

Was there some pressing need to be in the Riverland in a hurry, that you would resort to such a measure?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchBoy said:
Was there some pressing need to be in the Riverland in a hurry, that you would resort to such a measure?

His choices were freeze in the cold in the middle of no where or try to make it to his destination with the amount time his light would last, about 2 hours. I think I'd do the same thing, but hopefully I'd have my PD1-CE and PD3 with me for dual head light power. :)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
lukus said:
As a stupid teenager I was driving around 2 a.m. one weekend, down a dirt road, 60 miles an hour, down a steep hill with the headlights off with a bunch of friends when I saw something white flash across the road at the bottom of the hill. We started slowing down wondering what it could be when we saw another flash of white. When we turned on the headlights it was a train with mostly rust colored boxcars and a few white/lighter colored ones. People do stupid things and manage to live to tell.
OK, you've overtaken skyline_man. :clap: Anyone else?

WadeF said:
It would be cool to see pics of the damage though.
How about the 'roo? Or am I being too morbid there?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchBoy said:
OK, you've overtaken skyline_man. :clap: Anyone else?

How about the 'roo? Or am I being too morbid there?

Lol, it would be cool to see the 'roo too, but I doubt he's going to have any luck driving back out to where he hit it and finding it still there. I'm sure the dingos or whatever they have around those parts have cleaned it up by now. :)

luigi

Enlightened
My team of forensics expert was asked the question about a kangaroo destroying both headlights but not the radiator, they managed to create a reconstruction of the crime scene and reached a simple conclusion.

The kangaroo extended both front legs to say "No! Stop!"
And then both legs impacted the headlights to destruction.
The soft parts of the roo hit the radiator without causing damage.

Luigi

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
Wow...I was impressed upon joining this site to see the lack of petty childish behaviors as seen on most internet forums. Guess I was very wrong. Even if this whole story is made up....the fact that people need to come here and start ripping into the author and insulting him is pathetic and has reaffirmed for me that the internet is often used by sad people as a shield against proper behavior. After this and diving into some of the jeers and sales threads it seems even flashlight geeks are not above reproach.

For shame...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok pitch black 2am! WHY IS THIS NOT POSSIBLE,because you cant see,but add a little light,and hey presto light to lead the way .BTW i have seen people drive without lights in darkness.fools!!!

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I have driven with my L2D CE on turbo at about 50mph with pretty good visibility(I did this out of curiousity on a very quiet road with no other cars around) If anyone doubts this they should try it and may be very surprised how much of the road gets lit up. I could have gone alot faster than 50mph with the distance i was able to see.

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
tostada said:

Tostada I'd be embarassed if I were you...

Status
Not open for further replies.