P60 Turbo head Shoot out with lux readings.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
It is suppose to be P60 drop-in and 200 plus lumens, but the Solarforce Pro-1 is technically none of the above.

I will test it for you:thumbsup:

Topping off cells as I type.:twothumbs

Awesome, thanks!

Just thought it might be somewhat relevant.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished the 5 meter LUX readings on these lights:

• Masterpiece P60 Turbo head w/ R2 = 1,947 lux
  • Skyline I w/ R2 = 800 lux
  • Skyline II w/ R2 = 527 lux
  • EagleTac P20A2 XP-G R5 = 134 lux
  • EagleTac T20C2 XP-G R5 = 626 lux
  • Xtar TZ-50 SST-50 = 806 lux
Please note that only the Eagletac lights have AR Coated lens.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't understand what you mean when you say the TLS (turbo head) is P60 compatible. I mean will the TLS screw onto my Javelin? What kinds of flashlights does he TLS fit?

stallion2

Enlightened
bigchelis,
this is awesome, thanks for the effort in doing all this. obviously i need to get the TX3...my hands are pretty much tied on this one. are you testing the TX3 w/ its OP or SMO? the numbers looked good w/ the MC-E but is the donut effect more noticeable w/ the TX3 vs when the MC-E is in the DBS w/ OP? does anyone know where i can find this MC-E dropin w/ 2.5A driver from Shining Beam? i can't find it on their site and have never seen it there in the past.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand what you mean when you say the TLS (turbo head) is P60 compatible. I mean will the TLS screw onto my Javelin? What kinds of flashlights does he TLS fit?

The TLS and the DBS like I showed in the pictures allow all P60 Pills to screw in. So, in essense they are P60 compatible unless your P60 drop-in doesn't have a reflector/pill set-up like the Malkoff.

Here is the TLS 2.5in to illustrate where the pills screw in:
P2260019.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigchelis,
this is awesome, thanks for the effort in doing all this. obviously i need to get the TX3...my hands are pretty much tied on this one. are you testing the TX3 w/ its OP or SMO? the numbers looked good w/ the MC-E but is the donut effect more noticeable w/ the TX3 vs when the MC-E is in the DBS w/ OP? does anyone know where i can find this MC-E dropin w/ 2.5A driver from Shining Beam? i can't find it on their site and have never seen it there in the past.

Both of my P60 Turbo heads (TLS and DBS) are Orange Peel. Another local member has the Smooth TLS bezel and it makes all P60 pills ringy.:sick2:

You can see the MC-E center donut just a tiny bit, but you have to stare for a couple seconds in order to notice it. The DBS and TLS are no better or worse in that aspect. They both however make the R2, XP-G, and SST-50 produce a perfect beam:twothumbs

The 2.5A MC-E P60 drop-in is originally a Dereelight P60 2.4A drop-in. I purchased a shinningbeam 2.5A 3 mode driver and that is what it has now.

The other Dereelight P60 drop-in is the 2.1A variant and is 100% stock and untampered.

hope that helped.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
I just finished the 5 meter LUX readings on these lights:

• Masterpiece P60 Turbo head w/ R2 = 1,947 lux
  • Skyline I w/ R2 = 800 lux
  • Skyline II w/ R2 = 527 lux
  • EagleTac P20A2 XP-G R5 = 134 lux
  • EagleTac T20C2 XP-G R5 = 626 lux
  • Xtar TZ-50 SST-50 = 806 lux
Please note that only the Eagletac lights have AR Coated lens.

Thanks!

Actually I posted my question in the wrong thread; I meant to compare the lux readings of the Pro-1 to the DEFT and DBS aspheric.

Also, who makes the TLS, I haven't heard about it before...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Y
The TLS and the DBS like I showed in the pictures allow all P60 Pills to screw in. So, in essense they are P60 compatible unless your P60 drop-in doesn't have a reflector/pill set-up like the Malkoff.

Here is the TLS 2.5in to illustrate where the pills screw in:
P2260019.jpg

Yes I get that! WHICH FLASHLIGHTS WILL THE TURBO HEAD SCREW ON TO??? Does it fit the Javelin?

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TLS 2.5in bezel only fits Surefire M series lights. It worked on a Surefire M6 and Surefire M3 and with the C to M adaptor it also fits every 6P, C2, G2, ect.... I have the C to M adaptor which is made by TLS, but I use it on the TLS 1 18650 body with extentions. The TLS 2.5in bezel is 100% M series threads.

Here is the TLS C to M adaptor.
P2280022.jpg

Here is how it looks on my 6P with the C to M adaptor and the 2.5in bezel.
P2280024.jpg

The DBS Turbo head only fits the Dereelight body, but not the Javelin.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

For my full powered 2S2P MC-E pill in my TLS TX3 head, I found that adding some thermal compound to the pill threads greatly improved the thermal management. I was surprised with this result, thinking that the thread-to-thread contact between the pill and head should be sufficient.

So yet another test you could try is to run a clean-threaded, high-powered pill in the TLS head, and then put some thermal compound on the threads of the same pill and re-test it to quantify this effect. My testing was based only on the change in hot spot lux vs time, since I don't have an IS.

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
For my full powered 2S2P MC-E pill in my TLS TX3 head, I found that adding some thermal compound to the pill threads greatly improved the thermal management. I was surprised with this result, thinking that the thread-to-thread contact between the pill and head should be sufficient.

So yet another test you could try is to run a clean-threaded, high-powered pill in the TLS head, and then put some thermal compound on the threads of the same pill and re-test it to quantify this effect. My testing was based only on the change in hot spot lux vs time, since I don't have an IS.
That's exactly what I did. Putting some Arctic Silver 5 on the threads of the P60 pill before I screwed it into the reflector seemed to improve heat conduction considerably when done correctly.

stallion2

Enlightened
You can see the MC-E center donut just a tiny bit, but you have to stare for a couple seconds in order to notice it. The DBS and TLS are no better or worse in that aspect. They both however make the R2, XP-G, and SST-50 produce a perfect beam:twothumbs

hope that helped.

i think i understand...you bought the driver from Shining Beam and modded the pill yourself. i've got an MC-E dropin from DX that just sux and i've been sitting on it waiting until i felt i learned enough to upgrade the driver myself. i'll have to keep that option in mind.

liking what hear about the TX3 more and more. it works well w/ the XP-G also??? i love my DBS's and have three now, the latest one is the XP-G model w/ its designated SMO and i was pretty disappointed. ringy as hell and not exceptionally bright. i've drilled the reflector opening a little and that has helped. Jay at Flashlight Connection had done the same thing and saw a similar improvement. i'm surprised to hear you say that the XR-E and XP-G do so well in the same reflector...just another reason for me to get it i suppose, thanks again.

sfca

Enlightened
Any scientific explanation for this? Where lux is higher then the drop-ins @ 1M, but drops so much @ 5M:
When one light has greater lux @ 1M, it should be a certainty it will be greater @ 5M, correct?

[Eagletac P20C2 XP-G R5 which does 330 OTF lumens:

Orange Peel reflector does 13,300 lux
Orange Peel reflector at 5 meters 342 lux]

Bigchelis, whenever you do readings again can you do another reading on this? This seems.. kinda low.

[SST-50 from Nailbender
P60 OP reflector = 4,170 lux]

This is impressive!
Xtar TZ-50 SST-50 = 806 lux :thumbsup:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The TLS 2.5in bezel only fits Surefire M series lights. It worked on a Surefire M6 and Surefire M3 and with the C to M adaptor it also fits every 6P, C2, G2, ect.... I have the C to M adaptor which is made by TLS, but I use it on the TLS 1 18650 body with extentions. The TLS 2.5in bezel is 100% M series threads.

Here is the TLS C to M adaptor.
P2280022.jpg

Here is how it looks on my 6P with the C to M adaptor and the 2.5in bezel.
P2280024.jpg

The DBS Turbo head only fits the Dereelight body, but not the Javelin.

So all your TLS measurements were with a Surefire 6P host or a TLS host? Where do you get TLS products? Looks cool.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any scientific explanation for this? Where lux is higher then the drop-ins @ 1M, but drops so much @ 5M:
When one light has greater lux @ 1M, it should be a certainty it will be greater @ 5M, correct?

[Eagletac P20C2 XP-G R5 which does 330 OTF lumens:

Orange Peel reflector does 13,300 lux
Orange Peel reflector at 5 meters 342 lux]

Bigchelis, whenever you do readings again can you do another reading on this? This seems.. kinda low.

[SST-50 from Nailbender
P60 OP reflector = 4,170 lux]

This is impressive!
Xtar TZ-50 SST-50 = 806 lux :thumbsup:

It's probably measurement error. See mudman's Post #1 in this thread for a list of some sources for error.

I compiled the data in bigC's post #1 into an Excel spreadsheet and calculated the following:

bigC1mand5mluxdata.gif

The 1m (calc, inv sq) numbers are determined by multiplying the 5m (measured) values by 25. Similarly, the 5m (calc, inv sq) numbers are determined by dividing the 1m (measured values by 25.

One would expect the 5m measurement to be the more accurate one. In the Eagletac case, using the 5m measured value to get the 1m calculated value gives a lux value that is very different from the 1m measured number. Similarly, taking the 1m measured value to calculate a 5m lux value gives a number that is far off of the 5m measured figure. The Eagletac doesn't seem to have an overly large head, so you'd think that the 1m and 5m measured numbers would be reasonably consistent. But they are not.

Last edited:

sfca

Enlightened
One would expect the 5m measurement to be the more accurate one.

Dam! I thought the question bugging me about the lux ratings on light-reviews was solved, but I guess not. :sigh:

Eagletac P20C2 9180 lux
Eagletac P20C2 Mark II 5140 Lux (+40 lumens)

Eagletac T20C2 15360 Lux
Eagletac T20C2 Mark II 8180 Lux (+45 lumens)

If selfbuilt does a review we'll have another set of numbers to compare XRE & XPG.