post ya pc specs

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id love some 10k drives.arent there some with 16 megs a cache now? mine are just 60 gigs and sata in raid stripeing.i think they was like 50 a peace maybe more

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pentium4 Prescott 3.4 800MHz w/1MB Cache
ASRock Motherboard
Diamond 256MB DDR Radeon ATI Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card
600 Watt Power Supply
2 Gigs 3200/400 DDRAM
2 X 320 Gig 7200 RPM Western Digital SATA hard drives Raid 1 config
2 X Sony DVDR/RW 4X/8X/16X/48X
Floppy Drive
Zip Drive
Monsoon Flat Panel Electrostatic speakers with Subwoofer
NEC 19 inch monitor
Microsoft Trackball
Logitech Keyboard

Think that's it.

Bill

turbodog

Flashaholic
gnef said:
why not get some of the 15k drives? i have a second generation cheetah x15, i think they are on their fourth generation now? i think they are up to 72GB now too. plus scsi is VERY nice, although, now more business based. sataII will be quite nice as well. try some 15k drives though, you will be amazed. OR you could get some solid state hard drives, now THOSE will fly, will also cost around a dollar a meg or so (they may have gone down since i last did my research).

We went with the wd raptor's for several reasons. If you look, the wd 10k raptor compares very favorably with even a 15k scsi.

That computer has enough ram (4gb) to cache the entire sql database anyway with room left over to cache all the commonly used files. Hdd speed is important, but not super critical during the daytime. Nightly backups hit the drives some though.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
turbodog said:
best part of MY pc?

dual 3.06 p4 xeon
4 gig ram
dual 74 gb wd raptor sata in raid 1 config
dual 80 gb wd drives in raid 1 config
asus server mobo
fiber optic 64 bit gigibit nic (the real ones, the kind that cost $500+)
server 2003, open license (you know what that means)
ms sql processor/unlimited license ($8000 per CPU, ouch!)
and all the trimmings

Dual 3gig Xeons and 4 gigs of RAM!! Wow. That thing must be a screamer.
:drool: :huh:

turbodog

Flashaholic
For the record, my 2 pcs are:

workstation
p4 3.0
512 ram
raid 1, 120gb
extra 120 gb
toshiba dvd-r
advent av570 speakers
viewsonic g90f
asus board
nvidia 64 meg
firewire
usb2
xp pro
old school nmb clicker keyboard
apc smart ups 1000

server
p3 933
384 ram
raid 1, 320 gb
win server 2000
(this machine hosts file data for customers)
asus board
apc back ups 1400

laptop
p1 - 233
96mb
3.2 hdd
win98 ver 1
ibm thinkpad
I just use this for configuring routers
I just won't die

gnef

Enlightened
i personally use the 15k for just the OS, to make sure when i am multitasking everything is still speedy. at the time, 3.5 years ago, 1.25 GB of ram was way more than 'standard' and was good for all the stuff i keep open on a regular basis (3 lcds help with that too... heh)

i know what you mean about the performance of the 10k being close, and how with 4GB, things can be stored in ram, but i was thinking more along the lines of the OS, not the database. getting enough hard drives in the 15k speed to do database work is nonsensical as far as cost goes. it would be really nice to have 15+ drives spread across 4 channels with a hardware raid 10 or 50 on a 133 pci-x, or something like that. but the price of doing that is ridiculous. although, thinking about such a setup makes me smile. haha.

i used to frequent the forums at 2cpu, and i think one guy had a raid 5 of 15 cheetah x15's, his throughput was amazing, i would assume his electrical bill would be too. haha

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats why i love puppy linux.it loadfs the whole stuff in ram.but ya need like 1 gig but after it boots ya can remove the hard copy of the os

turbodog

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler said:
Dual 3gig Xeons and 4 gigs of RAM!! Wow. That thing must be a screamer.
:drool: :huh:

Did I mention that the ram was factory-matched sets. It runs in parallel mode.

Redundant 400w pws.
72gb hd dat tbu

Things like this are silly-fast.

But you're talking about a machine that cost just over $10k also, with a 3 year lifespan.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
SubZero said:
How about a 233MMX with 64M of RAM and a 4 Gig Hard Drive!!!!
I doubt I could trade this baby for an Infinity Ultra!! (Maybe an Xnova AA)
It's been okay until very recently. Now lots of stalls, lag, hard drive space warnings, low resource warnings.... I think I got my $$$ worth. Time to buy a new one. (AMD64x2 3800 PCI-E)

You topped me. Or is it bottomed me? :) :)

Greg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
gateway pentium 2 200 mh. Pretty weak. Finally got a printer and some ink to use.

Time to get with the 21st century. Rest of family has real computers and broadband. I'm next.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
greenlight said:
gateway pentium 2 200 mh. Pretty weak. Finally got a printer and some ink to use.

Time to get with the 21st century. Rest of family has real computers and broadband. I'm next.
if the computer does what ya want it to do .then there is no reason to update.i know many people who just use pc to surf the net.and have thease monster pcs.that p2 is a good pc

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm...

P4 2.8, 1GB 2700 DDR, 4x80GB, 1x60GB, 8x DVD burner, DVD+CD/RW drive, little drive bay thingy that reads all kind of digital camera media, ATI 9500 series card (not AIW but has DVI and SVideo out), NICs, modem, Lian Li case with like 6 fans and carbon fiber trim and NO FLOPPY DRIVE!

Right now it's just running Windows 2000 Pro but I'm going to start playing with Linux again... probably try the version that raggie was talking about a few days ago that can run off the DVD. And I'd also like to add an SATA drive of 200+ GB.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
my comp:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (code name: prescott)
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
Speed: 3014 MHz

Total Capacity: 149.04 GB(2x80GB hard drive)

RAM: 1 GB

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (yes it is old)

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
its for work too.

2CPU 2800AMD on a tyan K2 thunder
Raid with 4x 250G + non raid 120 and 80 total 1.2 terrabytes (always wanted to have a terrabyte : - )
1.5 gig ram
ATI AIW 9800
DV video card
Cd drive thing
Cool LEDs lights that indicate operations :)
Kensington Ball mouse (like a cue ball) best thing i ever did
19" crt monitor
old style clickie keyboard , second best thing i ever bought for it pckeyboards custom colorized.
scanner, 3 printers, hubs, memory card readers, joysticks, quad speakers, +2 more speakers and monitor for video only.
led desklamps, and keyboard lighting.

but best of all, its stripped down operating system, and programs, all 150+ programs and OS will fit on a single (compressed) backup CD. drivers ripped out, all the MS trash removed, no spam, no spyware, no bs, so operation in XP is quick.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
if the computer does what ya want it to do .then there is no reason to update.i know many people who just use pc to surf the net.and have thease monster pcs.that p2 is a good pc

I bought my pc at a garage sale for 50$ so I could upgrade my piece of junk computer. I was surprised at how fast it boots up (40 seconds) and how fast it shuts down (7 seconds). Programs open almost instantly now, and I have been able to browse the net and burn cd's without crashing.

Still, an upgrade would be nice.

InFlux

Enlightened
HP 540n (with a few upgrades to get me through 'till I can replace next year)

1.8 gHz Pentium 4
Windows Office XP Professional (with all updates)
768 RAM
160 GB 7500rpm
nVidia 5200 128mb

I'd love to roll my own next time. I'd probably start with a bare bones AMD 64.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Monolith"
Homebuilt P4 2.4 GHz
1GB RAM
80 GB "system" drive
200 GB "Data" drive
ATI Radion 9700 pro
2x200GB RAID (400GB total) for video capture
Callisto Video capture and processing card.
Dual flatscreen monitors
tons of other miscl crap.
------------------
Okay, it's getting a little long in the tooth but it was built for video editing and it's been the most stable and reliable machine I've ever owned!

Command.jpg

My wife calls it the batcomputer :ironic:

gnef

Enlightened
technically, it isn't 'raid' since you are striping... there is no redundency. sorry, just nitpicking.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dell 9100
3.0 ghz
1 GB ram
X600? 256mb vid card
250GB HD
DVD x 2
Super quiet case ( I love it!)
10-12 USB ports
24'' Widescreen LCD
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (Love how the tanks vibrate my entire room on BF2)
MX518 gaming mouse
OEM dell keyboard lit by a dimmable gooseneck Littlite, might upgrade to EL with laptop style lo pro keys. Just the right amount of light to see the keyboard. Although when im on a night and I look away from 24 inches of LCD everything else is black.

I am considering adding 2 more gigs of ram, anyone have any idea what difference this will make for say....BF2, ? Also would a high speed hard drive help for games and frequently used programs?

Last edited:

gnef

Enlightened
it really depends. it is possible that adding memory can give you extra startup time with BF2, but i think there are diminishing returns. what is the latency on your ram?

also, what kind of games are you playing? if they are mostly video intensive (which i think they are), the faster hard drive won't help it perform any better, it will help it load up faster if it loads from the hard drive. if it loads from the cd/dvd, then hard drive speed will have very minimal impact. i would say the bottleneck for games nowadays are the video cards, not the hard drives. getting a 10k or even a 15k will make everything in general be faster, but know that you will have to have a sata port or a scsi controller to use those faster hard drives. sata2 might be worth the wait...

from the looks of it, your video card is fairly recent too. are you having issues with your game? if so, i would first start with drivers and windows, then go to hardware issues. tweak the settings on your video card.

also, if you can, replace your memory with lower latency if yours isn't the lowest, that may garnish the most gains for you. faster hard drives are always nice, but again, the law of diminishing returns applies here too. the hard drive is overall the bottleneck with the computer, but with games, i think the video is moreso.

hope that helps...