200GB data disk
250GB external backup disk
ATI Radeon 9550 w/ 256MB
Pioneer 16x DVD
Plextor 16x DVD+-RW SATA
Antec Servertower w/ 550w PSU
cheap 19" CRT monitor
32" ViewSonic LCD TV
300GB network storage (Maxtor SharedStorage)

plans:

3Ware RAID Controller
2x 400GB Western Digital data disks (mirrored)
1x 200GB boot disk
a not so cheap 23" TFT monitor (ViewSonic perhaps)
a fanless ATI X???-graphiccard (for playing Quake4)

dream:

Panasonic Toughbook

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
Now I think you may be BSing a little. Could you even get on the net even with just a modem with that rig? However in high school, my first computer experience was with a Radio Shack TRS80 with 16k of RAM.

You can, because all you need is a terminal emulator, a serial line/modem, and you can get text based Net by dialing up to a UNIX host which offers such services. One could read email, browse the web (in text-only mode), but it would work.

Before you guys scream "that's unfair!" that's exactly how Internet access worked 15 years ago.. :D

Here's how it would have looked like (although I'm logging into my UNIX box via secure shell from my P4 2.66Ghz :D)

Code:
                                                        Thread  Search  Display
                                                        Tools   this    Modes  
                                                                Thread       

Old 11-02-2005, 01:55 PM                                                      

js's   js js is offline                              Join Date: Aug 2003  
Avatar Flashaholic*                                  Location: Upstate New York

Exclamation The Gen4 TigerLight lamp assembly                                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As many of you already know, I own, or have had the priviledge of playing with,
some really powerful and excellent big gun incandescent light, such as the     
SureFire M6, modded Tigerlights with Welch Allyn lamps and Carley relfectors,  
the 2200+ lumen 100 watt USL, and stock TigerLights, as well as more common
incans, such as the SL-20X and MagCharger. And I've gone through some
interesting changes in preferences with increasing experience.

It ain't pretty, but I find that yes, I can actually read CPF that way.

Email looks like

Code:
  PINE 4.58   COMPOSE MESSAGE                   Folder: INBOX  1,766 Messages   

To      : 
Cc      : 
Attchmnt: 
Subject : 
----- Message Text -----

^G Get Help  ^X Send      ^R Rich Hdr  ^Y PrvPg/Top ^K Cut Line  ^O Postpone  
^C Cancel    ^D Del Char  ^J Attach    ^V NxtPg/End ^U UnDel Line^T To AddrBk

SubZero

Newly Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
Aside from the 8088 I think I'm the slowest: PIII 800 MHz.
Greg

How about a 233MMX with 64M of RAM and a 4 Gig Hard Drive!!!!
I doubt I could trade this baby for an Infinity Ultra!! (Maybe an Xnova AA)
It's been okay until very recently. Now lots of stalls, lag, hard drive space warnings, low resource warnings.... I think I got my $$$ worth. Time to buy a new one. (AMD64x2 3800 PCI-E)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Raggie had asked us this question last year; I would have still had my BCM QS440BX board with the 450mhz Pentium 3, 384 megs of PC100 ram and a Fujistu 8gig hardrive that was almost completely filled from installing XP (had only 1 and 1/4 gigs left).

I later got the 160gig Hitachi drive, 9200 Radeon (the only card I could find that would work with my 2X AGP board) and bought a Slot 1 adaptor card so I could use a Socket 370 1.3ghz Celeron "Tualatin" (It could also take Coppermine P3s)

If I hadn't fried both the board and the CPU in an overclocking attempt; I would have still had the 440BX board. At least my friend gave me the ECS 848P-A for free, just had to buy a P4 and some DDR ram to get going again.

*Overclocking attempt; my board was so old that I had to set the FSB and Core voltage with jumpers near the processor slot. Not knowing any better; I put the FSB at the maximum. The board also had a BIOS feature that shuts off the CPU fan when the computer was placed on standby. Well, I put the computer on standby which stopped the fan, went to eat dinner, and came back an hour later to find a computer that wouldn't wake up and a strong "overheated electronics" smell. The CPU heatsink had gotten so hot that the fan was starting to melt.

The outward appearence of my computer has changed very little except for a few stickers and the DVD drive

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was what my first computer was (Actually belonged to my aunt who got it used around 1993) I played some games on it though. Kept it until we got the Pentium 3 in 1999 then I started takeing it apart.

AMD386SX-20.jpg

Ran Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and had probably less than 8mb of ram and the hardrive only held 420 megabytes. It originally only had a 3.5" floppy drive on it but we later added a CDrom

I got rid of what was left of it recently but kept the hard drive and floppy. I occasionally hook the hard drive to my current rig (have to open up my case and untangle the ribbon cables) to play some of the games on it (I played "Outrun" the most; forgot what others were on there) Eventually; I'll get an external enclosure for the drive. I can still experience what it was like to have DOS and Windows 3.11 plus AOL 2.5

Come to think of it, this makes my laptop the second AMD based computer I have owned

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
best part of MY pc?

advent av570 speakers

Like them so much I bought 3 sets!

I deal in PCs for a living. I sold one to a customer that still makes me cry:

dual 3.06 p4 xeon
4 gig ram
dual 74 gb wd raptor sata in raid 1 config
dual 80 gb wd drives in raid 1 config
asus server mobo
fiber optic 64 bit gigibit nic (the real ones, the kind that cost $500+)
server 2003, open license (you know what that means)
ms sql processor/unlimited license ($8000 per CPU, ouch!)
and all the trimmings

It's fun to play with this box. It'll copy 4 gig files in a little over a minute.

jtice

Flashaholic
Mines a pieced togerhter mess :p

2.8 Ghz P4
512 MB Ram
~300 GB of storage
and 200 GB of backup storage
DVD Burner
3 Monitor setup
Logitech z680 Speakers
Creative Audigy 2z 7.1 Sound card

IMG_1964.sized.jpg

~John

Goran

Newly Enlightened
asus a7n8x-deluxe
AMD barthon 2500+
512 mb ram
Seagate 120GB s-ata
60GB external 2.5"
Asus 16x DVD
Asus RW
No-name floppy
ATI Radeon 9500
Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96 sound card
Cieftec Dragon case
Logitech z680 speakers
Samsung SM 193P monitor
Logitech MX510 muse
Genius keyborad, don't know the model

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bent's Home Theater PC

Cooler Master microATX/full size ATX PSU ATC-610 desktop (size of stereo receiver)
MicroATX motherboard PCI-E w/ATI XPress 200 chipset with built-in X300 video, HD audio, NIC etc. (modded large passive heatsinks on regulators/chipsets)
Zalman 400W quiet PSU
1GB Corsair DDR running dual channel
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Socket 939 w/Thermalright XP90 Heatsink Panaflo 92mm fan
Asus X700 Pro 256MB PCI-Express video card VIVO dual head outputs modified with Artic Cooler to vent heat out of the back of the case.
Theater 550 Pro TV tuner/FM tuner card
Logitech Z-3 speakers with 8" sub
Logitech wireless keyboard egronomic
Logitech wireless optical trackball
19" LCD monitor 16mS response time
80GB Seagate for XP (Zalmann heat pipe cooler/suspension system)
160GB Samsung for recorded TV shows
HP DVD burner
Card reader/floppy combo drive (you never know)

Case customized to suck air off the XP90 heatsink and blow straight up out of a 120mm vent cut into the top of the case and out of the computer. This dumps the CPU heat out of the case allowing cool operation of the rest of the components. 80mm Panaflo L series fans on both sides at the front of the case blow in to keep the hard drives/DVD drives cool.

I have been using this build since March and it has run very well in the last 8 months. I do want to add a second monitor, that built in X300 graphics will run in parallel with the X700 Pro. Looking at some of the newer Viewsonics that can rotate vertical for internet surfing and document reading.

My son's computer is an AMD Athlon XP2400 Mobile laptop CPU overclocked to 2.1GHz (210x10) at 1.45 volts. Radeon 9600 128MB video card, 1GB of dual channel DDR, Antec 430W PSU and NForce2 motherboard. Theirs runs cool and decently quiet in their mid-tower case.

Yep, I am a geek! I remember reading about Luxeon Star LEDs off a link from HardOCP titled "LEDs that use a HEAT SINK!" At the time I thought it was bizarre....

raggie33

*the raggedier*
sweet pc benthead.hey how do you like the ati motherboard?ive always liked ati videocards but never had a ati chipset in my motherboard.

gnef

Enlightened
If i recall correctly, the motherboard does not use a chipset in the vernacular of the word. the ATI aspect refers only to the onboard video, and not in reference to the north and south bridge, though with the athlon64, i believe there is no more north bridge since the memory controller is in the cpu.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i want a dual core athlon so bad but ill wait to nest year when they ddrop in price or frys has a crazy sale

gnef

Enlightened
get a dual 939 motherboard right now (tyan comes to mind, but there are many others), and then next year you can upgrade to the X2, and you can have ~ quad system (the dual cores are not exactly twice as fast). now THAT would be nice!

turbodog

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
darn id love 4 gigs a ram a dual cpu.that pc must scream

I think it benefits much more from the 10k rpm hard drives than the ram.

Those are primo drives. 74gb for about $350 each. That's a lot when you can get 300gb for $100 in cheap drives.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i always have to wait to get new technolgy.lol i just last wek got a ati 9800.there like 2 years or older now.which in computers is a long long time

gnef

Enlightened
why not get some of the 15k drives? i have a second generation cheetah x15, i think they are on their fourth generation now? i think they are up to 72GB now too. plus scsi is VERY nice, although, now more business based. sataII will be quite nice as well. try some 15k drives though, you will be amazed. OR you could get some solid state hard drives, now THOSE will fly, will also cost around a dollar a meg or so (they may have gone down since i last did my research).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
here is my benchmark speeds i can run 3dmark 2001 se and get around 18.500 .if i tweak pc i can do super pi 1 meg in 37 seconds my 3dmark 2005 scores are awefull i dont even recall what they are