Pros and Cons of the L4??

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I've virtually replaced my E2E with my L4 for 95% of my needs at work. There are still occasions where a little more throw is needed, but when doing close work inside cabinetry the L4 is amazing. My plant is in an outage right now and many electrical busses have been disconnected, leaving many places in the plant dark, save the emergency lights and minimal backup lighting. Using the L4 in these dimly lit areas has proved both fun and extremely useful.

I still haven't had a problem with heat. In fact I don't think it gets hot, it gets very warm. Maybe my fingers are less sensitive to heat than other people's, but I just don't have a problem with holding on to the L4, even at the head, after having left it on for 5 minutes at at time.

I may still sell my L4 and replace it with an L5 if the L5 proves to still provide a good flood of light in addition to more throw. Then I could probably replace my E2E for every task around the plant, albeit with a slightly larger package.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, the L4 definately lacks throw, but it's not designed for throw, either. It sends out a wide spot of light.

Recently I tried to light up my car in a dark, unlit parking lot from 30-40 feet and there could have been someone standing next to the car for all I could tell. It just doesn't have that kind of range. Once I got within 20' it was plenty bright enough. For close work it's fantastic.

It all depends on what you need.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam,

If you tried to light up your car from 3o feet in an unlit parking lot and your car didn't glow, I'd say your L4 had dropped into moon mode and you didn't realize it. That, or your eyes were not dark adjusted at all.

The very bottom of this page shows the L4 illuminating a chair at 10 meters (32 feet) which speaks for itself. Now, 60 feet or so is another story.

http://fuja.s22.xrea.com/review/l4/

Mark2

Enlightened
The light is great, but it's true that it gets quite hot after a while, especially if you don't 'cool' it with your hand. For example, when you work on the Engine of your car, you put the L4 down somewhere because you need both hands. Later, when you are finished and pick it up, it's VERY hot. Impossible to put back into your pocket without some cooling period.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
well ... the L4 is superb for illuminating a huge area in closer ranges in total darkness, I could easily reach 40-50 feet with an acceptyble level of light and light up the whole backyard without moving the light around. This proves especially valuable when the L4 is the only light for a group of people working together, no other light can beat it there ...
bernhard

Reno

Enlightened
It looks like I'll be picking up an L4. An endorsement like the one from This Is Nascar is tough to ignore. It seems like I didn't set my expectations clearly when describing the light, and some things got lost in translation.

When referring to throw, I meant practical throw, or what the average guy would need. In terms of flood, this looks like it will just kill my most optimistic expectations. Besides, this solution makes my E2e rechargeable, so It'll see much more use than it does now.

I.E.----

Throw
------------------------
a) Average person would like to see the back fence in their yard
b) Flashaholic would like to clearly illuminate landmarks in the next time zone

Flood
------------------------
a) Average person would like to see their immediate surroundings
b) Flashaholic would like to illuminate entire zip code

-Waiting with baited breath for a shootout with the L5, nonetheless

Steve

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm, I do think its time for my E2e to go into retirement.

I wonder if this is cheating. There is a gunstore close to me that carries almost the entire SureFire line in a floor mount revolving display case. I know I would pay a higher price by getting an L4 from there. But I also know that they would let me try out each one and pick the one I want. Maybe I can circumvent the Luxeon Lottery somewhat.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I am in real dark place, by lighting my L4 I can breath much better. It makes the sorroundings really nice to walk, and I used in in a couple of emergencies and is fantastic. I do not care of heat. The L4 is short on runtime, but it doesn't leave you in the dark suddendly either.
It is almost an unforgivable sin that SF do not provided it with a multi stage switch, but this can be worked around.
The L4 is a masterpiece of engineering... with an expensive price tag!

Anthony

rlhess

Enlightened
I just had some fun at work. A guy was showing off saying "I carry this free (promo) M@G 2AA. He shined it under his dark gray desk with dark gray carpet. I asked, "is it on?" Another colleague who is a flashaholic laughed.

I then turned on the L4 and the dust glowed and we could easily see all the cables.

I continue to be impressed with how much light it puts out.

Mine may be a very hot example (I'm not complaining) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My E2e head is in retirement--the incandescent risk of burnout at an unwanted time is not risk the 10 extra feet of throw. If I want more throw, I want double or triple.

So far, the smallest longer-throw light I've found is the SL TL-3 incandescent and I have one of those in my shoulder bag. Oh yes, my retired E2e body is in there too with a KL-1 head for long-duration lighting--but it is purpleish.

Cheers,

Richard

EDC: on me: L4, Arc AAA LE, 2x123 spare
in bag: E2e/KL1, TL-3 incandescent, 8x123, 6xAAA
Sangean AM/FM/TV/Weather radio (2xAAA)
red laser pointer (2xAAA)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Now, 60 feet or so is another story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Further thought about the situation makes me think it proabaly was closer to 50-60 feet. Shame on me... I didn't have a surveyor's tape measure with me when coming home from my workout at the gym... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Regardless, the next week the A2 lit the car right up from the same range.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps is a good time for E2e retirement. I can use a UBH with a nine volt set up when I want throw and use a pair of 150's, and when the newer Surefire heads come out, so much the better. Then the L4 can take on those other jobs. And then I can be happy for a day or two until something else comes along.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flux, I have no choice but to agree with your comments on Throw and Flood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just checked the L4 that's been sitting on my desk for the past 4 weeks. I compared it to a new model 6P with a P60 LA. When I first acquired a 6P in the 80s, the P60 LA was simply astounding. Now the P60 is rather limp. Compared to the L4's rather LARGE projected spot (or, rather, lack of) the P60 appears, once again, to be that belwether that made a beleiver of me.

L4=floodlight (10-30 feet)

The L4 has not been missed by the owner whom had provided it to me for eval on October 1. The owner of the 6P let me borrow it just long enough to compare it to its LED bretheren. He just stopped by my desk to get the 6P on his way out of the office.

uhhmm...He owns BOTH flashlights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KT,

If you saw a L4 with a Luxeon III in it, you might change your mind a bit.

- Don

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Don. You need two L4's. One for super flood and one modded with a 3W for THROW.

I've modded two KL4's with Q3J's and they are very impressive. I'm just waiting for my TWAK's to get here to finish the job.

larry

Newly Enlightened
It burned my A**. Just make sure it can't turn on accidentally if you carry it in your back pocket. Otherwise, its the perfect EDC.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Don, when I first saw the P60 LA's product output in the 80s, I thought is was the be-all of flashlights. It took several years for its replacement to shelve it.

Given enough money and R&D, I'm certain that the Luxeon III in it (given my preference for throw, I'm certain that that LED product should address it) can make me see differently.

Al has said of Surefire's incandescent product line that "...it is about choices;" (or something to that effect) alluding to the many available options. Their LED product line falls short of choices. The product light output of their LED line is flood spot only; thus why I have not jumped on the bandwagon.

The L4 doesn't provide any more than my Inova X5 for what I use it for. It certainly falls short of the output of my ASP Taclite. For me, it is just an expensive compromise between those two. If I wanted the compromise, I would go to a P60 LA in an old style 6P (sans all the external sharp contours).

Show me a L(whatever) without the sharp edges that better manages the heat and throws a LOT better and I'll put it through the paces.

Darell

Flashaholic
An L4 has replaced my McLux as EDC. Enough said.

But of course I'll say more... I still use my McLuxs more than any other light (mostly around the house, though I wear them for "dress" occasions too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) but I EDC the L4 simply becuase of the increased firepower when I'm in light-polluted areas. For my up-close, around the house activities, the L4 is often too much light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have found that the L4 just adds to the light pollution by scattering the broad projected spot. When the pollution is rampant, nothing but a crisp pencil beam can cut though it.

Last night I used the L4 while making my way though the light fog to get to my car. Much to my dismay, the L4 just lit up a broad section of the fog.

The L4 can provide too much light around the house. Products providing lower light levels (namely the 9N LOLA or Inova X5) are what I use if the house lights adequate. As a safety feature, I have installed enough ambient lighting inside and the immediate outside of my private residence that it almost precludes the usage of flashlights, however, I still keep them readily available.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KT,

If you will e-mail me a mailing address, I'd like to send you a light to try out.

- Don