Quark Mini CR2 Ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'd be quite happy to pay the hundred bucks for torch and batteries provided that I could require delivery of ALL the batteries up front. No way in the world am I signing up to a program where I get batteries doled out to me one by one in the mail.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I liked CR2s, I woulda jumped on it. Alas, I like to keep my power sources to only 2 batt types (AAs and 123s)
For those who buy it, hope you enjoy and keep it

takthekak

Newly Enlightened
I hope they make an aluminum version. I find it hard to work a TI twisty light as opposed to aluminum. Plus anyone serious enough to buy these expensive lights, really should be into rechargeable batteries as well.

does AW make CR2's ??? link to buy?

Really it seems to me that TI is a disadvantage in 1. cost 2. heat sinking 3. UI workability.

I bought a Preon TI, but only because I could get a clicky for it. Honestly the twist action is way to hard to operate.

Once 4sevens gets $$$ on the hype, and want of a CR2 Mini - they will probably release a cheaper non forced battery program purchase option.

Lets hope...
BTW... I understand they are a business, and businesses aim to get $$$ mainly.:green:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you 100% Beamhead that the light may very well be worth every penny of the $99.00....to those who collect Ti lights. As for the battery plan...That just may be one helluva deal also, but the choice should be up to us as to where we get the batteries.....Not attached to the light as our only purchase option. A lot more people would choose to buy the light if this weren't the case. A lot more people won't, because it is. I am, as I'm sure a lot of people here are....a big proponent of choice.

I'm just spit balling here but let us consider some things, who brought us the first sub $100 Ti light with the latest and greatest emitter?
Then a sub $75 Ti pocket rocket which at its price point may have lost money, now calling the battery plan BS is a tad harsh IMHO so consider that perhaps for 4sevens to carry his branded CR2 cells was another considerable capital outlay, combine that with the former and that may explain the cost and battery plan. No one wants to lose money or have cells sitting around.

If you can find a better buy on a Ti CR2 light go for it. At first glance I too had my initial grimace at the battery plan but as I stated before the light itself is worth the money.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i didnt even know that the quark mini cr2 was release, and it comes with a "batteries4life" program!

just want to thank 4sevens for another great edc in titanium!!! much continued success to everybody at 4sevens!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'd be quite happy to pay the hundred bucks for torch and batteries provided that I could require delivery of ALL the batteries up front.
Makes more sense for both seller and buyer to just receive the batteries up front but the main thing killing it for me is the fact that there are zero neutral tints offered. No good reason for it either, as it is a foregone conclusion that they would sell if he just kept the number to a minimum.

carrot

Flashaholic
Welp, as this is a hot topic over on CPFMP, I figured I should copy some relevant and interesting discussion over here.

This is shocking, a manufacturor offers a light up for sale, INCLUDING a free battery program, and a Ti light at that, at a price you dont see on any other light even remotely like it (Lummi, Myshondt, etc) and the first thing some people do is whine about it?
:shakehead

Crenshaw

+1. Shame, but true. :(

There are lots of annoucement threads and sales thread for manufacturers on the forum. In most case the lights aren't for me, too big, too small, too expensive, too cheap, just not my thing, whatever, but I don't go filling up each thread with my thoughts on it being wrong or stupid.

I agree with the above posters (quotes taken from CPFMP). David releases a wonderful new light, in Ti and with an exciting new pilot program, for a very affordable price and there is nothing but complaints.

:shrug: Can't please CPF I s'pose, but I would hate to be in David's shoes... it's not easy to cater to EVERYONE.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Can't please CPF I s'pose, but I would hate to be in David's shoes... it's not easy to cater to EVERYONE.

He could just have made the battery program optional. For me it is 6xCR2 for $30, this is even more expensive than buying CR2 batteries locally.

But ignoring the batteries and just looking at a small titanium light for $100, it is a fair deal.

Sector7

Enlightened
Some people are plain finicky about things and are not happy until they find something to harp on, just the nature of the beast...

uplite

Enlightened
Wow. This thread is the most bizarre announcement & community response I have ever seen on CPF. :faint:

Is it a sign of the apocalypse...or is it a brilliant contrast-marketing tactic? :thinking:

And will 4sevens lights keep shrinking until they create a singularity...or will they go supernova and release the maelstroms?

:popcorn::popcorn:

-Jeff

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I really want this light for it's sheer brightness and smallness but what keeps me holding is the battery4life program. They should put it as an optional as others also says. I'm afraid and let's hope that they will not do that also on their upcoming maelstrom series or the people will have a second doubt buying their upcoming products.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, consider the additional batteries a gift from David. $99 is a good price for a Titanium CR2 light, even without a single additional battery.

A CR2Ion XT Ti was $300 back then. An Orb Raw Ti was £150 which was about $280 at that time.

DM51

Flashaholic
I use DX RCR2. 800mah instead of 300, even if it comes out to be actually 600mah, still 2x capacity.

[link removed - DM51]
If you seriously think you'll get 800mAh or 600mAh out of a DX RCR2, you are heading for a very severe disappointment. You'll be extremely lucky to get 300mAh out of it. 250mAh would be more realistic.

In any case, 4sevens has specifically advised against using RCR2 cells - the light is for primaries only.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The eye opener

Being a flashaholic certainly involves being crazy, but not necessary dumb stupid. I'll tell you what this is all about, in fact, I don't even have to invent it myself, I can just copy 4Sevens from their sales-thread :

The fact is, the qmini cr2 ti may never be offered without the Batteries4life program. The 6 month program is in marketing terms a loss leader. It's intended to supply customers with cr2 batteries and keep in touch with the customer.

Along with cr2 batteries that we send we may include a newsletter with special offers, pre-release news that will not be release until weeks later and even giveaways. It's more than just a battery program. Besides these tiny lights need to be fed and you'll need to get cr2's somewhere.

It is not about the price here. USA customers get 22 cells for 30$ (saying the price of the light is the same as the MiNi 123) which is a good deal (6 cells for an international customer isn't though). It is certainly a loss for 4Sevens, as they have to mail out 22 single cells for each customer, which costs a fortune. That must have some reason!

I just had a look on their site to check how much a single CR2 costs, how much they ask for a 2-pack, a 10-pack and a 50-pack. Surprise, I ca't find any CR2 cells! No, not a surprise after all, why would any customer want to buy a CR2 cell at this point, as he gets "batteries for life" with his flashlight? They explain it in their statement as well.

20 years ago, I joined a book-club, didn't cost much, I got books nearly for free and their books were cheap. That was in France and when I left France, I wanted to leave the club, which they made very difficult. Well, as I left the country, it was easy enough for me after all. Nowadays you get "customer-cards" everywhere, you end up with dozens of them and the goal is the same 4Sevens honestly states : Keep in touch with the customer, which means getting his data, knowing his shopping habits, sending him publicity. I don't want any of that stuff anymore, in my illusion I'm a free man and I want to stay a free man. If I make a deal, I make it and period. If I want something else from the same dealer, it's me who'll come back to him, he needn't spam me all the time, I just turn away from dealers that do. I know that they only want my best, but I don't want to give it to them!

Once there was a flashaholic named David, now there is a company named 4Sevens. Once it was about the lights, now it is about the money. Their honesty honors them though, so I'm honest as well : Bye-bye, 4Sevens! :tsk:

McAllan

Enlightened
Yeah. How ever nice it seems I think they should have the costumer decide whether they want free batteries or not. Especially for Intl costumers.
If, then the price should be the same as the AA and 123 version.

I won't say the CR2 where I live is widely available and cheap. But they're easily available and if going the right place they're not that expensive (same price as 123's).

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...compared to what a Ti CR2 would cost from any other manufacturer or maker, it is a deal! (Hint: look at Surefire T1, Muyshondt Ti Aeon, Orb Raw Ti...)

Too bad I already blew my budget; if they're still around when my wallet recovers I'm snagging one.
A CR2Ion XT Ti was $300 back then. An Orb Raw Ti was £150 which was about $280 at that time.
So now the Ti MiNi CR2 is equal to the Ti lights by Enrique the fact that a Ti Ion used to command $300 is somehow relevant to today? Hmm, disconnect guys.

I really sense a circling of wagons based on allegiances not stated. Admirable to an extent, but to admonish others for having their own mind reeks of hubris.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they could sell the EZCR2 without a battery program, I don't see the reason to enforce one on the MINICR2 now...

Norm

Retired Administrator
+1

$99 for the CR2 MiNi is only expensive when you compare it to the other Ti MiNis. However, in the grand scheme of things and compared to what a Ti CR2 would cost from any other manufacturer or maker, it is a deal! (Hint: look at Surefire T1, Muyshondt Ti Aeon, Orb Raw Ti...)

Too bad I already blew my budget; if they're still around when my wallet recovers I'm snagging one.
The CR2 mini isn't in the same league as any of the lights mentioned above.

I'd like to buy a CR2 mini but have a draw full of CR2s bought at the K mart battery clearance in anticipation of this light being released.

As others have mentioned my chances of even having this light in 12 months are pretty slim, the battery 4 life thing just doesn't appeal. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.