Streamlight Microstream LED

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I just (finally) ordered myself a MS and should be getting it soon. I was trying to decide between this and it's big brother, the Stylus Pro.
I couldn't decide last year myself, so I got both. They fill different roles nicely, the MS is a great jacket pocket backup light, while the much more efficient SP rides in its holster for daily use.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't decide last year myself, so I got both. They fill different roles nicely, the MS is a great jacket pocket backup light, while the much more efficient SP rides in its holster for daily use.

I only had 20 bucks to spend and I'm currently between jobs, so I had to decide on one:sigh:

fishx65

Enlightened
How does this compare to an Innova X1? Is it a lot brighter? I never use my X1 cuz it's not bright enough.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I like mine very much . You don't even know you have it in your shirt pocket . The Stylus Pro is also very nice . Great product , good pricepoint. Only minor gripe , the clip on mine broke . Mine has been semi replaced by the Leatherman Serac S2 , not a fair comparison as they are in a different classes . The S2 has a much better clip , and two stages .

Chris

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad light for the price. Quite bright too!

But I found the clickie was quite hard to operate with my size hands - I.E. it was too small to grip and not only would the clicky click, so would my knuckles!! So sadly I gave mine away rather than see it lie unused in my drawer.

Rest assured it has gone to an appreciative family home!

Its niche in my life has been filled by the Tiablo A1, always love a twisty!

Drjones

Enlightened
1) Can anyone PLEASE post a picture or two of the clickie?? I've scoured posts and the internet and not found any.

2) How well does the switch function? Can you keep the light in your pocket (or can my lady keep it in her purse) without the light activating easily?

Thanks

Bradlee

Enlightened
1) Can anyone PLEASE post a picture or two of the clickie?? I've scoured posts and the internet and not found any.

2) How well does the switch function? Can you keep the light in your pocket (or can my lady keep it in her purse) without the light activating easily?

Thanks

1)

2) The switch is not conducive to turning on with the pad of your thumb; it takes the tip of your thumb to turn it on easily IMO. There's almost zero chance of it accidentally activating.

Drjones

Enlightened
Awesome, thanks a LOT Brad!

So no need to lock out the tailcap when I stick it in my pocket? The switch isn't as sensitive as Surefires?

Thanks!!!

Bradlee

Enlightened
So no need to lock out the tailcap when I stick it in my pocket? The switch isn't as sensitive as Surefires?

I'd say no, but maybe someone else who actually carries it in their pocket could chime in? Mind you, it only takes a 180 degree turn to lock it out.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, thanks a LOT Brad!

Thanks!!!

As I said, the clicky is extremely robust and I found it hard to operate - good loud click too. No chance at all of going on by accident unless really jostled. Don't panic, it'll be fine.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does this compare to an Innova X1? Is it a lot brighter? I never use my X1 cuz it's not bright enough.
I can only comment on the X1 generation 2, which is a flood, not like the other generations that I believe are like a follow spot.

They are two completely different patterns. The MS is much brighter with a surprising amount of throw (compared to the X1). It has a very nice beam with a nice hot spot and good surrounding flood. The more noticeable difference is the surprisingly nice white tint of the MS.

The brightness is, of course, at the expense of run time, but why are you even asking to compare an AA light with an AAA? The X1 is a great 'go to the bathroom' light or read in the dark. It's appeal is that it's built like a tank (like the X5) and is long running, but it's heavy and bulky for an AA light. It's a scaled down X5 in size and brightness, but the more common AA format.

BTW, I'm looking at doing a 'group buy' on the Microstream and Nano.

Bradlee

Enlightened
They are two completely different patterns. The MS is much brighter with a surprising amount of throw (compared to the X1). It has a very nice beam with a nice hot spot and good surrounding flood. The more noticeable difference is the surprisingly nice white tint of the MS.

So yours doesn't have a yellowish hotspot? (Mine does)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My Stylus Pro has a yellowish hotspot surrounded by a blue corona (which I gather is standard) with a few ring artifacts but my MS has a beautiful even warm tint completely through the beam, with zero artifacts. Its beam is like a mini version of my flawless SF L1's beam. Luck of the draw?

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Mine is very white also. And even more so since I installed a chapstick cap over the front as a diffuser. It's the PERFECT walk-around--the-house-at-night light. The cap was difficult to press in, so I opened it up a bit with a mild dremel bit, and shoved it on the best I could. I then took a lighter and heated the cap until I could squish it on all the way. It works absolutely fantastic inside a tent as well.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're a white wall hunter, one of mine has a yellowish spot (in the center of the hotspot) that makes up about 20% of the hotspot. It is unnoticeable in practical use.

It would be misleading to say that it has a yellowish beam. My original statement that it has a surprisingly nice white tint, stands.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Care to take a picture of the chapstick cap?

Sounds interesting. Won't the plastic melt from the heat of the LED?

Mine is very white also. And even more so since I installed a chapstick cap over the front as a diffuser. It's the PERFECT walk-around--the-house-at-night light. The cap was difficult to press in, so I opened it up a bit with a mild dremel bit, and shoved it on the best I could. I then took a lighter and heated the cap until I could squish it on all the way. It works absolutely fantastic inside a tent as well.