Streamlight Nano> Awesome!

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
The button cells are a deal breaker for me. When I saw the Nano, I thought it might be a replacement for my E01, but not if I have to buy yet another battery type.

manoloco

Enlightened
however i have seen a resistor in coin cell lights, to drop down the voltage fed to the led preventing overdrive, this in turn should get better runtimes, lower output, but reduce efficiency, am i right? (i just assumed this since i am a complete ignorant regarding electronics.

manoloco

Enlightened
The button cells are a deal breaker for me. When I saw the Nano, I thought it might be a replacement for my E01, but not if I have to buy yet another battery type.

i think if you put a AAA on it, it couldnt be called Nano, and you would probably buy an ARC AAA or another E01

the prominent reason to get a nano is its tiny size, which would be impossible without button cells, a AAA is twice the size of the Nano.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
DX has LR41s at $3.36/100. That seems pretty cost effective. As soon as Lighthound is up and running good again, I'm going to buy a bunch of Nanos. I hope that is soon, my dealings with him have been excellent.

thegeek

Enlightened
DX has LR41s at $3.36/100. That seems pretty cost effective. As soon as Lighthound is up and running good again, I'm going to buy a bunch of Nanos. I hope that is soon, my dealings with him have been excellent.

I ordered from them (Lighthound) on Sunday evening and it shipped yesterday, I'd say they are running just fine.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Going to place an order from brightguy for a few lights and looked at the Nano but didn't like the idea of the LR41 batteries as my hiking pack uses AAA for nearly everything.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, one battery size is nice, but I'll risk it at the price of one E2 lithium or a hundred LR41s.

Woods Walker

I didn't know that those cells are that cheap. I have heard that button cells have issues when run for a longer time. I use my EO1 for a tent/under tarp overhead light. Sometimes it is going for 6 hours at a clip. I guess the Nano might be good for other use like EDC zipper type light. I don't own any Streamlights but was looking at their 1xAAA size for EDC and the C4 (guessing Cree) Argo headlamp. How is the quality of Streamlight? Their stuff seems affordable.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
An E01 doesn't make sense to me as an EDC. It has no clip and is too big for a keychain, at least a guy's keychain. I also like that the Nano is direct drive. Both have a 6-8 hr. life from what I've read.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The clip is an accessory. The thing about the runtime is that the nano is exponential and drops like a stone (just like a fauxton or Photon), where the E01 is fully regulated for constant output. The only big plus for the nano is it's much smaller size.

Woods Walker

I am a more regulated kinda guy as the E01 is more of a backup light for my headlamp when rolling out lightweight. Also as stated is used for an area tent light.

100_8602.jpg

I do like the small size of the Nano however for a Keychain light. I tend to carry my EDC lights in a pocket and use one of those cheap button cell push type LED chain lights for the keys. Maybe the Nano might work good for this as I don't need longer regulated runtimes for a keychain light. Just a push button few seconds type thing. I do use the E01 for a backup/UL headlamp with my Jakstrap.

100_9018.jpg

Works very good for in camp jobs and runs forever on 1 AAA regulated. Anyone know a good place to get LR41 batteries. Heck for 8 bucks maybe I will toss one in on my next order to replace my Garrity LED flat keychain light.

Edit. Seen info on cheap LR41 cells in this thread.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I never seen this little buggers before, gonna have to get me some. They seem to be plenty bright too.. chek this pic I found:

nanocompare.jpg

Something is wrong with this picture. The E2e is 60 lumens. Both pictures were shot on automatic with the camera adjusting the exposure. My brother bought a Nano. It worked for about 4 weeks then went completely dead. He bought a E01 and is much happier with it.

Bill

WDR65

Enlightened
My Nano rides on my keychain and has replaced my dorcy AAA and my Inova microlights. I have a Fenix EO1 on order and I will probably add it for extra runtime, but combined with my LOD RE the Nano has been perfect for most EDC situations I've come across. I think I will pick up a few more to replace my microlights and add to backpacks and hunting bags. For the short periods of time that I use mine I think its a great light.