Surefire’s 2009 New Lights Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the T1A TITAN has high 70 lumens and low 1 lumen output,did the Ti version go lower than 1 lumen? :thinking:

Also I see the UB3 now has reflector can anyone confirm this?

BTW they have some very nice lights to consider this year :twothumbs

gsxrac

Enlightened
Okay Ive allways liked Surefire but I must say ALOT of those lights appeal to me =) And thank you for posting pics guys!

davidt

Enlightened
Re: Surefire's 2009 New Lights Discussion

SureFire appears to be trying a new approach to grip ergonomics. This styling allows rotational grip and I found when I tried out a UA2 proto-type, surprising level of retention grip in hand, without having the 'abrasive' knurling which can slow down the drawing and stowing of the flashlight in pockets and holsters etc.

I guess I'll have to try out the new models to see how the new style compares to knurled models.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Gary007 -- Thank you so very much for posting the new 2009 scanned images. Now I'm "stuck" having to choose between the M3LT and the Invictus (both you say?).

-Clive

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing those pics just made my day:twothumbs

Optik49

Enlightened
I hate to ask but any idea of when any of these new models will be released. :crackup:

Last edited:

TBrogden

Newly Enlightened
For anyone who has seen the beam from the M3LT, does the optic completely eliminate the Phillips screwdriver-shaped dark spot caused by the multi-LED package?

Thanks!

gsxrac

Enlightened
Yea now we just need an MSRP and and an actual release date and I might sleep a little better :ironic:

jchoo

Enlightened
I'm actually rather disappointed with the new offerings other than the A2L and V2L. I am a huge fan of the aggressive knurling, but I will reserve judgment on the new grips until I hold one for myself. I am quite disappointed that the UB was changed to a 3 cell light. I have a feeling that SF could have gotten this light into the 500+ lumen range, but chose not to so they wouldn't compete with their own incandescent and HID offerings.

manoloco

Enlightened
hmmm i dont like the way the clip obstructs the path of the twisty in the LX1, in fact in my actual L1 the clip is just below the lip of the tailcap, and i can feel the tip of the clip everytime i use the twisty, a bigger one is guaranteed to get in the way, and specially with less grip. possibly its because the short clip on the current L1 doesnt work as good as on the E1L, because of the weight and lenght, but if i had to choose a clipped L1 vs one without obtrusive clip, i would got for the latter, and i guess everyone can have that option if the clip is removable.

nice to see they went for the bezel up/down clip like the E1B.

i think the compromise between drawing speed and grip on the new design could be ok but like many said, it will have to be a try for yourself thing (as always)

how about an L1 that has the A2z concept head made for 1x123 cell? :D

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically what's the difference between az2 and a2l? They seem to have the same basic construction with 1 main led and 4 secondary led, and similar output.

Numbers

Enlightened
The knurling, sadly, is gone, (it was beautiful and was a part of what made a SF a SF). Surely it was done for no other reason than to lower manufacturing cost. However, I guess that does not mean that the alternative cannot be as effective/functional.

cankster

Newly Enlightened
I sold my M6 immediately when I heard they were coming out with the invictus in 2008. LOL. It seemed like it had no place in a world where there was a 6.9", 8oz, 1-1.6" diameter, 400 lumem, output adjustable, led flashlight. Again LOL. I have a Novatac 120T for my single cell light, I wish it had the tailcap of a surefire where either by pushing or screwing in it would go from a low setting to the highest setting but besides that it is great. I have a Wolf Eyes Storm for my photon cannon, it was rated at 580 lumens and I thought the 400 lumen rating on the Surefire would have put it in competition. It is way to fat and heavy for my taste, and I hate its switch, but works well.

I have been dying to upgrade and by some new flashlights. I wouldnt have cared if the 2008 Invictus was $500-$600, I would have bought it. A new single cell light from surefire that took things up to the next level would have been bought immediatley. For personal use IMO Surefire has not come out with a noteworthy upgrade in the last 2 years. I had a L2 3-4 years ago that was 100 lumen. Now they are 120 lumen! Who cares. The new invictus at over 9" and almost 13oz makes me wish I had not sold my M6 at the beginning of this incompetent sleigh ride. I don't mean to be overly negetive but I am in a 2 year long fit of dissapointment topped off by the irritiation of my dream flashlight being replaced (if it ever comes out) by a 40% longer, 50% heavier, 13% dimmer stupid version of itself.

Just my 2 cents about what Surefire is doing.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The knurling, sadly, is gone, (it was beautiful and was a part of what made a SF a SF). Surely it was done for no other reason than to lower manufacturing cost. However, I guess that does not mean that the alternative cannot be as effective/functional.
And people wonder why PK doesn't feel the need to throw a party of CPF members at SHOT Show this year :ohgeez:
The design has nothing to do with cost. Can you even support your opinion with evidence that the new design is cheaper than knurling?

Yes its different. Its innovative. SureFire have had well over a year to field-test the new concept and they've decided to use it on these high-profile new concepts.

I don't think it's possible to judge the change until you've tried it for yourself.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire appears to be trying a new approach to grip ergonomics. This styling allows rotational grip and I found when I tried out a UA2 proto-type, surprising level of retention grip in hand, without having the 'abrasive' knurling which can slow down the drawing and stowing of the flashlight in pockets and holsters etc.

I remember all the critics over Fenix lights, due to it´s lack of knurling to. :p

Anyway, probably gonna get a LX1, if they release it this year... Do you know what kind of LED does it use, Al ?

Size15's

Flashaholic
So basically what's the difference between az2 and a2l? They seem to have the same basic construction with 1 main led and 4 secondary led, and similar output.
The AZ2 is the addition of the A to the Z2[L].
The A2L is the addition of the L to the A2.

The bodies are different diameters with the AZ2 being standard (like the Z2) and the A2L being A-Series (like the A2). The bezels are different dimensions and the TailCaps are different. Of course the A2L as a PocketClip whereas the Z2 is a more pure CombatLight.
It's all about selecting the right tool for the job which is why SureFire offers a variety of models

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.