Surefire’s 2009 New Lights Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPECTER6

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually glad that the UB2 is now the UB3. It was never going to be an EDC for me so the extra length doesn't matter and I would imagine that 400 Lumens off of two cells would have probably only last 30 minutes at best. The extra cell plus knocking it down to 350 (like anyone can see the difference between 400 and 350 anyway) should really extended the high output run time.

Now I have to decide if I want the M3TL instead. Is it resonable to assume that the TIR in the M3TL would be more efficient and have a longer regulated runtime?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Aren't the LEDs in the A2L 3mm while they look like 5mm in the AZ2?

I really dig the AZ2. :)

Again about that HID ... any more info?

bernie

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
And people wonder why PK doesn't feel the need to throw a party of CPF members at SHOT Show this year :ohgeez:

What´s the problem with critics ? They can´t handle them ?

I guess that´s the primary goal of a Flashlight Forum: talk about the "pros" and "cons" of yours beloved flashlights...

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I'm not interested in the kind of LED.

Sorry to ask...

I didn´t asked if you were (or not) interested in it...

I asked if you KNOW what kind of LED does it use, because you always knows a lot about Surefire, even about the non-released models.

Anyway, please forget that I asked that to you. :shakehead

Size15's

Flashaholic

I guess that´s the primary goal of a Flashlight Forum: talk about the "pros" and "cons" of yours beloved flashlights...
To be a critic of something; wouldn't it be better to try to understand it first before passing judgement?

I believe the primary goal of a discussion forum is for the community to develop and advance in understanding, knowledge, appreciation and fellowship.

pwx234

Newly Enlightened
did anyone notice that all new sf models all have clip bezel down

its awesome

can't wait to buy a one

Size15's

Flashaholic
Sorry to ask...

I didn´t asked if you were (or not) interested in it...

I asked if you KNOW what kind of LED does it use, because you always knows a lot about Surefire, even about the non-released models.

Anyway, please forget that I asked that to you. :shakehead
Trying to know too much about these proto-type concepts will just get us into the same mess we do every year when SureFire show off at SHOT Show.
SureFire use SSC LEDs in reflectors and Cree LEDs behind TIR optics. That's the general rule.
Whether SureFire are still using the same LED when a product is actually released when there could be months and months gone by. SureFire have never given out the sort of LED detail many people here care about so asking such things of a proto-type concept light is unrealistic IMHO.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

The theoretical advantage is that they provide fresh/different points of view which is often beneficial to manufacturers in weighing in their priorities when designing new products from the experience of providing old ones for a long time.

The real life problem is they are often uninformed/misinformed and not often enough genuinely interested in being informed rather than just wanting to get their opinions in without doing prior research which makes a formal interaction with them more of a waste of time than anything worthwhile.

It is perfectly reasonable for PK to feel that he doesn't need criticism this year since most of his products are new and therefore no one really has any experience with them to possibly have any worthwhile criticism to offer him.

Size15's

Flashaholic
My point wasn't about whether or not PK could take crictism. It was about whether CPF members respect him enough actually take a moment to actually listen to him. The vibe I had from the last couple SHOT Shows was that people attending PK's party were there for free beer, free food, and free SureFires.
CPF members haven't even seemed to notice the whole new range of flashlights he has designed and are being released.

Numbers

Enlightened
Getting far afield now.
It's just my opinion that knurling costs more to produce than the new machining and that is at least in part why it is gone. No more no less.
I have no clue what that opinion might have to do with any party PK may or may not have.

Perhaps we have a machinist here who could opine on the relative costs of producing the two types of machining.

cankster

Newly Enlightened
Somebody help me out here. What is the real upgrade from a 3-4 year old L2 to the 2009 (Prototype)? What is the upgrade for my Novatac I bought 2 years ago? I have money and want to upgrade bad, but in these two catagories of lights, I see no upgrade here. At least not with Surefire which is where I would rather spend my money.

txgp17

Enlightened
I walked through their booth at the Shot Show. I made sure to take my M60 equipped 6P. With the exception of the lights running a SSC P7, nothing they offered beat the beam quality of Gene's creations. Keep in mind I'm speaking strictly about the light output, not selectable stages or other features.

I stopped by the 4seven's booth and was blown away by the Tiablo A10. I really hoping Fenix, Malkoff, and NiteCore start offering a MC-E emitter real soon.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Vampire looks. From the pics it shows 2x123 and pocket clip and not much else.....any idea what else is there. 2 stages I am guessing....if u have any other specs let me know....

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting far afield now.
It's just my opinion that knurling costs more to produce than the new machining and that is at least in part why it is gone. No more no less.
I have no clue what that opinion might have to do with any party PK may or may not have.

Perhaps we have a machinist here who could opine on the relative costs of producing the two types of machining.

This was my thought when they changed from flats to rounded, that the latter is cheaper. I was informed the opposite is true, but both (round bodies/no knurling) look cheaper anyways. J.M.O.

I can do w.o knurling I guess. These new designs look pretty good. I'd replace my A2 with an A2L if it maintained a 3 lumen low like the original. Otherwise, disappointed with no INVICTUS after all this waiting! :crazy: I.D.K. about the three cell version(s).

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF members haven't even seemed to notice the whole new range of flashlights he has designed and are being released.

Whether he pops in here to read it...or maybe word gets to him :naughty: l want to say that I am impressed.

Frankly before this a lot of the SF catalog didn't excite me. Warranty and reliability were great but some of the designs seemed to be getting a bit long in the tooth. Then this news came out. My first thought was "WOW!"

There are huge changes coming in the utillity of their lineup to me. Lights that genuinely interest me for professional use. The Vampire series take direct aim at the issue of losing an effective IR illuminator with a filter/incan when switching to LED. It's also the only dual IR/white LED light I know of that doesn't rely on 3mm IR LED's for close range flood. The A2L and A2Z are great options that show more attention to functional detail than just ramming an LED into the A2. Redesigned bodies not for marketing and aesthetics but for improved ergonomics. A long list of changes overall that seem to be right on target for their core market (which is not a flashaholic walking the dog. ;)) Even the simple changes take work to make sure they can maintain reliability and effective production. It's been a busy year at SureFire it seems. Whether we like the changes or hate them, it's an impressive body of work to present for the new year.

Given that my mail yesterday makes me think an extended, all expenses paid business trip is in the near future, I am even more pleased. Before the new announcements the only SF that was probably going with me was my weapon light. Depending on the nature of my trip and when these lights come to market that may change.

Good work PK. :twothumbs

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
On further examination the LX1 is a maybe, the A2L is a probably, the head of the M3TL is a sure thing. Surefire will get more of my money.

Federal LG, Size 15 is cranky most of the time IME.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
And really I know a LOT of people are dissappointed about the invictus and optimus not being out/released yet but at least now we all know why. This is a LOT of new stuff for Surefire to put into design at once ESPECIALLY if maaaaybe theyre planning on releasing it soonish. I really am impressed with all of the new designs and hey keep your heads up ppl, all that money you saved for the UA2 and UB2 you might be able to afford one or two (if your lucky) of these new lights:thumbsup:

And does it seem like the M3L and the UB3 share a lot of characteristics? Not saying that theyre twins by any means btu yea ya know lol

Last edited:

AlecGold

Enlightened
Perhaps I didn't plan on any other lights than a UA2 just because it was a perfect match for my needs.
And if SureFire did need such a lot of time designing other products than the UA2 and UB2 I would recommend them to stick to the plan and finnish first products first.
I don't think SureFire works that way, but you do suggest something like that.

The 2008 catalogue was promising so much usuable lights.
Now the make some other lights with leds, like the M3TL and some aviators, that are no big deal to me.
I don't use a light tactical, I want a do-everything-perfect-in-my-daily-life-light
and none of the lights shown at this shot show do such a thing.

A lot of people can come out now and tell me we are no big market share, we don't make the cash-machine for SF make the ka-ching sound,
but I just don't like being told porkies as the summer 2008 orso, somewhere Q1 2009, just wait what the Shot Show 2009 will bring and all the other stories about when it could possibly arrive.
Don't misunderstand me, if they make a concept, a prototype or something just to show off, I wouldn't mind it, i would be drewling all over it, respect the lead they have in technology and development
and "happily but impatiently" wait another year or so to see it emerging on the market.
But if you state it in your catalogue as a product that's not smart to say the least. And after waiting year it would be good manners to tell you have a delay in production/development/etc.etc.etc.
I'm not insane and I can understand if you are not perfect happy with one of your products that you don't want to release it yet.
Just tell me, don't treat me as a 5 year old kid.

I know, I'm being grumpy, but I'm really disappointed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.