SureFire E1B Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I hope the new E1B is released soon enough that I can get one as a Christmas present for myself this year!!

I want one, I'm excited about it, but I'm not going to hold my breath until it hits the market...:)

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree with Blindasabat and Kiessling's logic about the L1 UI vs. the E1b's but still I find myself more interested in the E1b because of its styling and is smaller size. The L1 always seemed too big and ugly for my tastes despite its functional design being wonderful.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Milky modded ML1...165 lumen & 5 lumen in the style of the L1. It's my favorite light right now. I'll be buying this E1B when it comes out and use it as...get this...a backup. Imagine that...using a light as it was intended. Go figure! :D

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I in turn agree with you about the size of the L1. I only briefly carried an L1 after I got it due to its size. I have since put together an L1 derivative that is smaller than the E1B: Gen1 head, E1E body, topped off with a McE2S two stage switch. The McE2S is stiffer then the L1 switch, so I put up with that to get an 83mm long light that has two L1-style levels and can put out 160+ lumens on RCR123.
I still may get an E1B for the nice clip and ability to put out 80+ lumens on a primary (backup batteries) which is my direct drive Mini-me L1's one other issue. It only gets 20-30-ish lumens on primaries.
One more note about the clip. I think it would be just as good (to Me) if it was attached at the tail for full in the pocket bezel down carry. The only type of clips I actually use are that type, like the LRI Proton.
I agree with Blindasabat and Kiessling's logic about the L1 UI vs. the E1b's but still I find myself more interested in the E1b because of its styling and is smaller size. The L1 always seemed too big and ugly for my tastes despite its functional design being wonderful.

Size15's

Flashaholic
For me the E1e is way too short, and the E1L is too short. The E1B is right on the cusp. The L1 is about as short as I find comfortable. Ideally I prefer flashlights of the A2 size with the L2 being about as long as is easily EDC'able.

planex

Newly Enlightened
I like this light more and more each day. It will soon join my L1 and E1L. The compact one cell lights are a great form factor for me to EDC. Backup? It might very well become my primary!

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks interesting, but the only thing i have against surefire is that i cant afford most of the ones i would like. I do feel they could cut the cost down a little bit. I wanted a 6P for the longest time, but i have gone off incans now, so, until i get a windfall i will have to stay with lower cost lights, until this E1B comes out, then i may be interested in buying another Surefire. I never use my G2 because its incan, and i dont like the bulkiness in an EDC. So price dependant, i may end up buying one of these E1B' because the other LED lights that surefire offers do not stimulate my curiosity at all..

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The L1 is about as short as I find comfortable.

Point well taken, Size15's. To me, the E2L feels 'normal', the L4 feels small (even though it is nearly the same size) and the L1 will probably feel tiny (when I snag one).

What's the best guess on availability? Mid summer maybe? Certainly in time for next Christmas:mecry:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yepp. I have doubts the E1B's UI will be able to replace the L1 for me. The L1 switch is among the best I know. Even my mom can use it properly without an explanation.
bernie

That's funny. Your mom must be a lot more technically adept than my girlfriend's friend. I loaned my L1 to my girlfriend's friend so she could get back to her hut on a trip (I was going to go back with some friends that had lights). The next morning I got back my L1 overtightened, with the switch no longer working. I had to rely on my backup for the rest of the trip. I couldnt figure out what she did to break it.

The good think was it was a surefire. I sent it back and they fixed it quickly and without question.

Moral of the story:
1) Have a cheap backup light that you can loan if posible (my backups were back in my hut so I had to lend out my L1)
2) Know that should a Surefire break, they will take care of you.

Last edited:

CrazyCarl

Newly Enlightened
The next morning I got back my L1 overtightened, with the switch no longer working.

I have observed many people forgetting which way things turn when dealing with unfamiliar objects. Their ability to regularly open jars and bottles seems to not drift over to screws, flashlights, etc. When this happens, they sometimes also do not considering that they may be doing something wrong, and will expend a shocking level of force before giving up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just a comment on its looks.... It looks more like something from LumaPower, than Surefire. Did anyone else get that impression?

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
e1bmc6.png

:paypal: :paypal: :paypal:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me, too. That's why I'm so happy with my TITAN !!!

I just think it should have been priced at about $475. :^)

It really is tiresome that without fail, everyone criticizes the price of Surefire lights even though there are plenty of other $300, $400 and $500 lights sold here on CPF. Maybe we could add a forum rule...

Phredd

Some of the stuff sold here has a total materials bill of upwards of $2000. Never mind labor.

If I'm gonna spend $500 on a flashlight like that, I want it to shine like the sun, run all night, all day, and all night on one battery, and fit in my jeans key pocket. I want 635 lumens/watt for that much money.

For a $100 budget, I may end up with this instead of the 2008 model Inova T2. Time will tell - ideally I'd get to play with them side-by-side.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hey Size 15's, do you know why the E1B appeared and then :poof:?

-Evan
There seem to be two options.
1) Deliberately put up early and taken down [ahead of SHOT Show product release]

2) Accidentally put up early and taken down

I believe it was the 2nd option although some CPF members believe the 1st - their rational seemingly that SureFire is interested in the response - a means of gauging opinion. I suggest this places undue importance on the sorts of people who would notice such a happening and then discuss/comment on a forum SureFire would know about and follow. They'll get feedback at SHOT Show - there's not enough time to change anything as a result of gauging opinion between when it was accidentally shown and the show.

Al

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Is it just me or does the E1B look uncircumcised? :sick2:

Awesome stats though, a just right bright and a 24+ hour low, on a single cell. Could this be the first 1xCR123 "survival" light?

I delved into flashaholism with Fenix a few months ago, and haven't gotten a Surefire yet, since there previously wasn't one with the right kind of numbers, but this might be the one...

paulr

Flashaholic
First CR123 survival light was probably the Tekna Splashlite in the 1980's.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Could this be the first 1xCR123 "survival" light?

I should be more specific -

When I think "survival light", I'm thinking along the lines of Tom Hanks in the movie Cast Away (he didn't do so well with a MiniMag). Or at least Les Stroud in the television series Survivorman (he doesn't even use flashlights!). It's going to go through a lot of use and abuse, and can't really be a one trick pony, so I'd go with something LED, multi modes with a marathon low mode for general use and a decent bright mode with some throw to spot something from a distance or to signal.

Previously when doing this mental exercise, I'd come up with a limited number of flashlight options, but none of them were single cell. The E1B seems to fit the bill nicely - using Fenix's "survival mode" math (2 hours use per day), the Backup on low mode easily covers more than half a month. And the 80 lumens high mode is plenty for seeing what's making a noise outside your encampment. Pretty impressive for just one battery.

Numbers

Enlightened
Just a comment on its looks.... It looks more like something from LumaPower, than Surefire. Did anyone else get that impression?
Yes, It certainly is not in the traditional look of SF's (which I consider to be almost works of art).
But for me it's ok, I originally thought Oh No I just bought an L1 and now I have to start collecting a whole new series of SF lights. I got over as quick as they took it off their site. I dont like the looks, dont want the UI, and after the L1 (and KX2) I think I am done with optics for a while too.
I am hoping for an updated L2 and L4 soon.

FWW I also think putting it up un the website was an error. I dont know who is running the office over there but they should pay more attention to detal. Just as they should with their customer service reps who in my opinion are not well trained -- they will tell you anything and have a different story every time I call in relation to my situation. But you guys give me hope they will ultimately come through.
Still SF is the only brand of light I am considering buying in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.