SureFire EB1 Backup 200 Lumen Flashlight

Viking

Enlightened
Law enforcement is only going to purchase so many lights. The military most likely will cut back. This leaves the public sector. I want Surefire to do well, but they will need to implement new technology faster if they are to remain in the game.

Military and Law enforcement are not the only ones who relies on high reliability.
Many companies and workers does as well.
The highest possible lumens numbers isn't surefires game , reliability is.

And in that game I don't think many flashlight companies can match them , if any.

There is more to reliability/quality than a hard-grade aluminum body , great looking machinery etc.
What about the internals , engineering etc. All the things you don't see.

I learned this the hard way. I use a worklight every day at work. And until now have all brands , except surefire failed me.

Last edited:

brianna

Enlightened
Quality and reliability is what is most important to me as well. I just don't think it should have taken the E1B new model EB1 four years to hit 200 lumen's. Also for the person that thinks 200 lumen's for the T1A is too much. Did you forget about the wonderful UI? Dial the brightness you need. Since the T1A is almost as long and heavy as the current E1B, 200 lumen's would make up for the size and weight of this so called key chain light. As I would like to call it a pocket paper weight. Plenty of weight for heat seeking 200 lumen's on the T1A. Most likely it will take 4 more years for this model to hit 200 lumen's. Quality and reliability is the most important factor. It is just that it makes me sad to hear people wanting to mod a new Surefire because the emitter is so out of date. Nothing should need to be done for a new light. We may be enthusiasts, but even the general public can appreciate a quality up to date product.

HDS has been at the 200 lumen mark for a while now. I Sort of use this as a quality bench mark. I agree it should not be a lumen game but quality and reliability comes first. If HDS can do 200 lumen's with quality, durability and reliability, then there is no reason Surefire should have lagged behind for so long.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took four years for the Backup to reach 200 lumens because increasing that wasn't the goal (if you notice, runtime is unchanged). It's possible to push the XR-E to 200 lumens, but it would come at the expense of runtime, so they waited for more efficient emitters instead.

Viking

Enlightened
It took four years for the Backup to reach 200 lumens because increasing that wasn't the goal (if you notice, runtime is unchanged). It's possible to push the XR-E to 200 lumens, but it would come at the expense of runtime, so they waited for more efficient emitters instead.

Personally I applaud that decision.
Long runtime is very important to me , much more than higher lumens.
Thats because I use my flashlight as a worklight at work ( 8 hours shift ).

Last edited:

Glock 22

Enlightened
If you get one for review can you post us some beamshots and some actual pics of the EB1 in this thread that way we'll know what kind of beam profile, and size it really is?

At the moment, yes the EB1 is scheduled to be available in July. If all goes as planned, SureFire will start shipping them out in late June and I should get one to review before July. :)

http://www.led-resource.com/upcoming-led-products/

You can keep an eye on that page, as I will be updating it as I get new information.

brianna

Enlightened
I have a little inside info about this light. I can not say how I know or where this came from. Target date for this light is November 2012. This light is not vaporware. If it does not come out in 2012, expect it no later then the third month of 2013. They are really shooting to have this light available before 2013. The reason for any hold up or delay past November would be caused by problems with the led not meeting certain standards Surefire requires. Or sufficient quantities. The light will be ready for production as soon as the LED batch for this product is approved.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears the optics in the new E series are slightly larger than the previous/current generation. The bezels are listed as 1.1" (IIRC) compared to the current ones at 1.0"
Nope, but I figure that the optic in it should be the same as the E2L AA, right?

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Sorry, I meant the optics between the E1B and E2L AA. Those are identical, right?
You know, I never did a close comparison between my E1B and my E2L AA, and I just sold the AA last weekend. I think they were pretty close in beam shape but the E1B had a slightly brighter hotspot and slightly longer throw. And I do mean slightly. But again, I never did a close comparison because in my mind they have two different purposes, one as an EDC and the other as a general purpose light.

I think that many people who already own an E1B would like to know how it stacks up against the EB1 in an apples to apples comparison. I've been sitting here trying to type up a list of items I would like to see compared but I had to delete it because I realized that it was so subjective that only I can answer those questions. But I would still like to see beamshots and runtimes compared…

Last edited:

Glock 22

Enlightened
At the moment, yes the EB1 is scheduled to be available in July. If all goes as planned, SureFire will start shipping them out in late June and I should get one to review before July. :)
QUOTE]

:thinking:
It's late June, are you still on schedule to get one for review or has the plans changed?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several people have recently left SureFire's marketing team, including my contact, so it's taking a little while to get new info. However, samples for us have been confirmed, but the current release target is late July.

Glock 22

Enlightened
This light is scheduled for a 4th quarter release 2012.

Dead on. I just saw on ODG website that the release date has been pushed back to the forth quarter. So it looks like around Christmas time. Oh Well.:shrug:

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week I received a SF official e-mail about E1B sale. Price is down! Maybe they did that to end their stock...

But December no, please... I can´t wait until there! :(

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from the LX2 tail cap on the EB1. Find a used E1b or if you already have one. Send it to Wayne to install a low/high with 3 second memory driver (I think Wayne said there's also one without a memory as well if you prefer that UI), but you'll have to use RCR rechargeable batteries.

When Wayne's done with it, and the light arrives. Put your back to a wall, brace yourself, then click the little light on!

Seriously, it's output is presently extremely close to the LX2. When using the E1b with the new driver and RCR's next to the Fury. It holds it's own, I mean aside from the two different beam patterns, it's hard to tell the difference in throw!

Last edited: