Surefire G2 for Home Defense

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true that one can easily miss with any weapon! Especially in the heat of the moment where you were likely caught totally unprepared. However, It can be extremely difficult to hit a target with a handgun, especially in the dark! I like my chances of hitting Mr. Badguy with a shotgun much better than with a handgun. And in this day of liability, I again address the issue of just how far that 230 grain or worse yet, 115 grain pill is going to travel before it decides to stop?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Some people own short barreled shotguns. I do not, so am not willing to stick a 26" barreled shotgun out in front of me against an intruder that could sprint 7 yards in a second plus, or so, wrest the shotgun away from me and stab me, start to finish in about 5 seconds. In the real world against an intruder with a knife, for example, and you are charged from a distance of 7 yards, or most likely 10 feet, you will be cut whether you have a handgun, shotgun, or rifle, and probably before you can get a shot off.

Bill

highorder

Enlightened
in reference to another post, my shotgun will throw a ragged 4" circle of #4 buck at around 20 feet.

easy to miss if you dont aim.

having said that, my home defense weapon is a 5" 1911. I shoot/train with it 10x more than the shotgun, and its easier to keep locked up yet accessable.

my $.02

DogLeg

Newly Enlightened
I ...am not willing to stick a 26" barreled shotgun out in front of me against an intruder that could sprint 7 yards in a second plus, or so, wrest the shotgun away from me and stab me, start to finish in about 5 seconds. In the real world against an intruder with a knife, for example, and you are charged from a distance of 7 yards, or most likely 10 feet, you will be cut whether you have a handgun, shotgun, or rifle, and probably before you can get a shot off.

It takes a brave knife-wielding intruder to want to sprint into the muzzle of a shotgun. On the other hand, if you're willing to wait while an intruder runs toward you, perhaps subconsciously you thought you deserved to be cut [LOL].

SureF1reFan

Newly Enlightened
Training option for you.

http://www.guninstructor.com/courses.html
http://www.finaloption.org/advancedcc.htm
http://www.pgpft.com/special.htm
http://www.ftatv.com/fta_surefire_lowlighinstructorcourse.html
http://leerburg.com/2213.htm
http://www.azccw.us/product_1.htm
http://www.gunsite.com/courses/pistol.html

Just to name a few for you. I'm sure one of these is near you...

Save us from reading about you shooting a family member or neighbor by trying to taking head shots. Training could save a life too.

Last edited:

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how effective bean/bag shotguns and rubber bullets are for home protection. I imagine that they would at least be easier on you for liability purposes. I would also think that they're somewhat effective seeing as how their used on convicted violent prisoners on a regular basis. Of course those prisoners don't have much of a possiblity of have a pistol to shoot back.

SureF1reFan

Newly Enlightened
Ignoramus said:
I wonder how effective bean/bag shotguns and rubber bullets are for home protection. I imagine that they would at least be easier on you for liability purposes. I would also think that they're somewhat effective seeing as how their used on convicted violent prisoners on a regular basis. Of course those prisoners don't have much of a possiblity of have a pistol to shoot back.

Bean bags and rubber bullets can kill. Or worse... suffering like internal bleeding. Then you could get sued (which might happen from the bad guys family anyway " he was an angel, he would never hurt a fly...etc, etc" - "now give me your life savings".)

Bean bags and rubber bullets have a minum safe distance... it's why they are called "less-lethal" ammo.

If someone breaks into your home and won't go away after you telling him/her/them that they'll have a bad day if they come near you, and still advances on you or your loved ones... as bad as it sounds, shoot to kill.

Rubber bullets / bean bags have there place, and it's not for home defense. If you cannot shoot someone, use another type of home protection. Big dog, lots of beware of Dog signs...etc. Lots of bad guys will go someplace else who don't have the signs.

But then again I could be completely of my rocker :)

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Ignoramus said:

The only issue I see in this is that WHEN the intruder/criminal gets out of jail/prision I dont want him comming back for a little visit (and maby this time a little more prepared).

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
SureF1reFan said:
Bean bags and rubber bullets can kill. Or worse... suffering like internal bleeding. Then you could get sued (which might happen from the bad guys family anyway " he was an angel, he would never hurt a fly...etc, etc" - "now give me your life savings".)

Bean bags and rubber bullets have a minum safe distance... it's why they are called "less-lethal" ammo.

I saw a guy on Dallas Swat use one effectively within about 5 feet. He shot the suspect who was in a small bathroom.

If someone breaks into your home and won't go away after you telling him/her/them that they'll have a bad day if they come near you, and still advances on you or your loved ones... as bad as it sounds, shoot to kill.

Rubber bullets / bean bags have there place, and it's not for home defense. If you cannot shoot someone, use another type of home protection. Big dog, lots of beware of Dog signs...etc. Lots of bad guys will go someplace else who don't have the signs.

But then again I could be completely of my rocker :)

I don't think you're off your rocker. I have no issues justifying killing someone under the right circumstances, regardless of the legal implications I may have to deal with. I could just as easily use a bat for home defense and use it lethally. I imagine that if I use rubber bullets and the family would be able to sue, they would sue just as easily if I shot and killed the guy. For legal purposes, I don't see how it can be any worse for using rubber bullets. I'm curious about it's actual physical effectiveness:) .

Last edited:

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
scubasteve1942 said:
The only issue I see in this is that WHEN the intruder/criminal gets out of jail/prision I dont want him comming back for a little visit (and maby this time a little more prepared).

I'm a little confused then Steve, are you suggesting that we always kill the guy? If he stays alive and is caught under any circumstances, I think he'd have the ability to hold the grudge, regardless on if I use rubber bullets or anything else.

Paladin

Enlightened
CM said:
OK, my turn. I own a shotgun. I own several AR15's and several pistols of various calibers. I've taken some *serious* classes on the use of these weapons and I have a little firsthand experience on all of these weapon types and their applications. (No I don't claim to be a commando type, keyboard or otherwise) So now I'm going to ask:

Has anyone actually looked at the size of the pattern a shotgun produces at typical indoor ranges (say 7-10 yards)? This myth about "just point it in the general direction of the BG and pull the trigger and everything will be fine" has to be the most widely perpetrated non-sense on the internet.

My 20 inch 870 Remington barrel is choked Improved Cylinder, and puts 9 or 12 pellet 00 Buck into a 12 to 14 inch pattern at 10 yards, the extreme distance in my dwelling(diagonal across the living room). I've shot an 870 since the mid-80's, and can use it competently. It is hard to imagine a bonafide HD situation it can't handle.

For lumination I run a Streamlight TLR-1 80 lumen LED tac light, mounted on a Streamlight 870 bracket that puts the light at 6 oclock, near the front of the handgaurd/pump.

Paladin
Captured_2006-7-30_00006.jpg

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Ignoramus said:
I'm a little confused then Steve, are you suggesting that we always kill the guy? If he stays alive and is caught under any circumstances, I think he'd have the ability to hold the grudge, regardless on if I use rubber bullets or anything else.

Im not suggesting that you do anything. Your going to have to make that decision if/when the time ever comes. But there is a better chance they will die from a bullet rather than a bean bag.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make a lot of noise, and call out for your partner to ring the cops, even if you live alone.

Scaring them off is better option.

PIR external lights are a good first defence.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paladin said:
My 20 inch 870 Remington barrel is choked Improved Cylinder, and puts 9 or 12 pellet 00 Buck into a 12 to 14 inch pattern at 10 yards, the extreme distance in my dwelling(diagonal across the living room). I've shot an 870 since the mid-80's, and can use it competently. It is hard to imagine a bonafide HD situation it can't handle.

You only get one shot, right? How long does it take to reload?

wmirag

Enlightened
May I suggest a 12 gauge pump with #8 shot and a pad activated flashlight forearm?

Just the sound of that sum-bish rackin' would send anyone but a complete lunatic running. If you had to fire, even a leg shot would be a guaranteed man-stopper. And you'd be less likely to penetrate a wall and kill your kids.

Also, most pumps can be made VERY safe by putting a simple padlock through the action; this seems safer than a trigger lock IMHO.

Merry Christmas. And make sure you don't whack Santa tonight!

W.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
A G2 is a great light for home defense.

A shotgun is a great gun for home defense, unless it is dark. If it is dark, you either have to shoot at someone in the dark, or identify your target by pointing a weapon-mounted light at them, or juggle the shotgun and a flashlight. None of those are great options.

Suppose your intruder is a common theif. Do you really want to kill a common theif in your living space?

Probably it is a good idea to establish whether the intruder actually is an immediate threat before putting holes in their body and splattering "theif juice" all over your nice clean stuff. It makes for less cleaning and a lot fewer legal hassles.

Scott

wmirag

Enlightened
CM said:
Another one of my favorites. BS#2. The sound of a shell being chambered will cause the BG to run in terror, hands flailing in the air...

Unrelated to the previous but I want to present another PURELY hypothetical scenario. Don't reply with "oh that will never happen", or "no I don't have any loved ones except my fish Freddie who would never be taken hostage...".

Suppose the BG grabs one of your loved ones and forces a hostage situation. What would you shotgunners do then? Just curious. Put into THAT situation what would you do?

I'd drop the gun and give the BG whatever the hell he wanted. Is there another choice?

Latest posts