Surefire G2 for Home Defense

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
wmirag said:
...Just the sound of that sum-bish rackin' would send anyone but a complete lunatic running...

Another one of my favorites. BS#2. The sound of a shell being chambered will cause the BG to run in terror, hands flailing in the air...

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
wmirag said:
I'd drop the gun and give the BG whatever the hell he wanted. Is there another choice?

Shoot him. You have prepare to do that beforehand, but if you have, it is the safest option.

Scott

highorder

Enlightened
Suppose your intruder is a common theif. Do you really want to kill a common theif in your living space?

yes. if you do not belong in my home, your exact motives are of little matter to me.

perhaps my feelings are swayed by the rock monster that tried to break down my door while I was home the other night. had he succeded in breaking down my door, I would have engaged him. I am not willing to risk my life, or the life of my loved ones to figure out how evil/crazy/drugged up someone is. they chose to victimize the wrong person. for that I am sorry.

Merry Christmas!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
highorder said:
yes. if you do not belong in my home, your exact motives are of little matter to me. . . .

LOL!

Well, I guess there is nothing wrong with that! Just as long as you have thought about it and arrived at a conclusion carefully.

Scott

carrot

Flashaholic
DrifT3R said:
BOOOOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!

you play cs don't you?
If only life were like CS. I'd be so fast, because when you run with a knife you're faster... I've got three on me.

meat

Newly Enlightened
It's amazing how quick and willing people are to shoot intruders. Sure if your life is at stake and they have a gun or their intentions are to hurt you, then by all means protect your life. If someone is there to steal your TV or your property, is your life, criminal or civil law suits really worth it?

As some sane others have suggested, get some training.

bones_708

Enlightened
If someone is there to steal your TV or your property, is your life, criminal or civil law suits really worth it?
One, my stuff is my stuff and I have the right to try and stop anyone from taking it.
Two, if someone broke into my house with me and my family there why should I assume, or risk, that there is no danger? If there is danger why would I not use reasonable force (thank god I live in Texas instead of NY), allowed by law, to end that danger.
Three I have some training which is why I would take other actions first but by your comment you are basicly asking someone who's house is broken into to put the thiefs health above that of his family.

I will say that the John Wanye BS gets old and no one should be that laid back about killing someone, but me or them or any risk to my family then.......easy call. And you don't get to make that call I do. Have I said I'm glad to live in Texas?

meat

Newly Enlightened
but by your comment you are basicly asking someone who's house is broken into to put the thiefs health above that of his family.

My comment was also that if someone was meaning you and your family harm, then by all means protect yourself, but you forgot to include that.

It is your property and your choice. I would rather lose some property, than to go through the stress and money of defending myself in court or jail as to why I killed someone that was stealing my TV. Whether I feel it was justified or not, doesn't matter and it is still a bigger hassle than buying a new TV.

If there is danger why would I not use reasonable force (thank god I live in Texas instead of NY), allowed by law, to end that danger.

I don't think someone stealing your TV is danger, unless they try to throw it at you. Reasonable force is not shooting someone in the head while they take your TV.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried to not chime in on this, but I'm just so darn opinionated...

No matter how "prepared" someone is, I don't imagine it would be easy to get over taking someone's life. Additionally, if you believe in a creator, you have to imagine you'll have some accountability for taking that life. I'll speak in a Christian context as that's what I know. Taking an intruders life may save my life for a time, but I've incurred "bloodguilt". I could lose my everlasting life for that. However, if that intruder takes my life after I passed up the "opportunity" to kill him, I'll be resurrected and he'll have to face whatever judgement awaits him. I'll take my chances with the latter.

If you don't believe in a Creator I understand that you don't believe in that same accountability. You have to justify your choices with yourself and whatever your beliefs are. I just sincerely hope none of you ever have to make that choice.

All of this being said, I couldn't say what I would do if a close member of my family or a close friend were in mortal danger. However, I'm not going to put myself in a position to make a rash, poor decision by having a lethal weapon loaded and ready to go.

Finally, I don't judge anyone for their beliefs. I don't expect others to be guided or judged based on my opinions. However, if you're a Christian, or claim to be, it's at least something to think about.

bones_708

Enlightened
It is your property and your choice. I would rather lose some property, than to go through the stress and money of defending myself in court or jail as to why I killed someone that was stealing my TV. Whether I feel it was justified or not, doesn't matter and it is still a bigger hassle than buying a new TV.

Well in Texas we don't have to wait till the BG proves he is a threat. Someone who has broken into an occupied house has by that action given anyone who is inside more than enough reason to believe there is a real threat to their safety. And yes what someone believes is what justifies using deadly force in many places. Why you think people will have some way of knowing the difference between a "common thief" and someone who would do harm is strange at best. Would I shoot someone for $300, no of course not. Would I shoot someone in my house at night before giving him the possibility of hurting my family, that I could do if necessary.

Paladin

Enlightened
Once the intruder has been confronted they have the option of A) leaving rapidly B) meekly waiting to be arrested C) trying to overpower the homeowner.

Which is why a verbal challenge is made while pointing the lock and loaded weapon at their center of mass. One step toward me and THEY have chosen oblivion over peace. No sleep would be lost.

No discussion of the ethics regarding self defense is complete without a reference to "A Nation of Cowards", the author escapes me at present, but a web search will turn up a copy. He discusses issues relating to the moral decision whether to defend one's own property and person with deadly force quite eloquently.

BACK ON TOPIC:

The Surefire G2 makes a fine Home Defense tool for identifying persons/animals about ones property at night.

Paladin

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you might indeed feel guilty about killing someone afterwards, you can thank people like highorder (who are present in large enough numbers for such self-defense laws to exist in this country) for reducing crime in the first place, which reduces the likelihood you will ever need to use deadly force.

Don't think deterrence works? According to the UN, England's crime rate is highest among all industrialized nations and now even higher than Russia or South Africa. Why? Because criminals can operate with impunity and the law prosecutes those who resist.

A carbine or bullpup shotgun is best for maneuvering in tight hallways and aims naturally. It's probably too difficult to aim a handgun under such stress and the weakness of the bullpup (exposing you when firing around right hand corners as it cannot be fired from the left shoulder) is of little relevance at home when you shouldn't be firing around corners anyway.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the SureFire G2 an unofficial "must have" item for troops going for deployment in Iraq?

Scott

Harry

Newly Enlightened
It may be worth bearing in mind that a low light shooting incident in one's home is arguably the most difficult and stressfull sort of experience that a person who is not a sworn LEO can face. You are obligated to adhere to the force escalation continuum, and your decisions and actions executed pursuant to those decisions will be the subject of endless litigational debate; this debate being paid for entirely by your own fiduciary resources or lack thereof.

At first you will be in a mental state of this can not be happening to me denial. Your stomach will feel like it has dropped to your feet. You will develope tunnel vision and focus exclusively on the immediate area of threat. Your fine motor skills needed to successfully manage your small arm of choice will desert you at this most critical moment of need. If you in fact engage the target you will be incredibly fortunate to hit center of mass much less make a head shoot at night while holding a light in one hand and a weapon in the other while your heart is racing at a speed you never thought was possible.

If you were able to stop the "immediate, otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm to yourself or other innocents", do not congratulate yourself just yet bunky. You will now discover first hand that there is in fact a reason that the statue of justice is blindfolded. What seemed at the time to be a straight forward case of defending your family will end up being portrayed as a case of a wannbe Rambo in your local media outlets.

A competent attorney will demand $25,000 upfront to defend you and may warn you that even if you are a totally innocent victim of an attempted homicide you are looking at $50,000 in fees to defend against criminal and civil actions. If there is the slightest possibility that the shooting was at all hinky your cost will easily fly by the $100,000 level. Don't plan on your homeowner's policy to necessarily cover your costs.

There is a great deal of training and solid legally defensible information that is available to you before you commit yourself to a predetermined course of action in a deadly threat situation. It will save you from a lifetime of regret to obtain this training and information and review it on a regular basis.

God willing you will never find your self having to put this knowledge to actual use.

Harry

Last edited:

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 with P60 is adequate for the job, the P61 is better.

IMHO, having a tac light (w/laser) mounted on your handgun, and a separate handheld light also, gives you the advantage of having a free hand if necessary (put the handleld in your pocket or waistband) to open doors, flick on light switches, hit panic alarm buttons, call 911 etc, depending on the layout of your house and other occupants, if any.

Opinions on which firearms are best for defense vary dramatically...ask any group of "experts" in the field, and you'll get many different answers.

Last edited:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Since our friendly post starter Dave34 hasn't exactly put much more input into this post, I almost detect the presence of a troll.

Especially since this topic always gets a strong response.

dave43

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't really serious about the headshot. I can barely make one in Counterstrike. I would go for center mass though. I was serious about the question of a G2 being adequate to blind an intruder as it is important to identify an intruder. I would never want to shoot a friend or family member.